Fat old person!

Options
bubbex2
bubbex2 Posts: 51 Member
I've been on here quite a while ago. I did great, but was not eating very much. Unhealthy. I've gone from 115 to 130. I am 68 and 5' tall. My dr. says I eat too many carbs and that's the cause of my weight gain. That's about all I eat. I work out 3 times a week...circuit training with intervals between circuits and take Yoga once a week. I am not used to being this big. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but I am miserable. None of my clothes fit. I just need some help and support to eat healthy. I started a low carb diet today on the advise of my doctor. My biggest problem is that I hate almost all veggies. I guess all I'm asking for is some support from people who know it this feels like.

Replies

• MEHR0908
    MEHR0908 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to cut down on carbs. Try Danon Light and Fit Greek yogurt.. only 8-9 carbs and high protein so its very filling. Which veggies do you not hate?
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been there. Feel free to add me.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I am doing carb cycling ....low carb one day ...high carb the next etc etc ....sundays is a cheat day but I ususally have a cheat meal ....a cheat day would probably send me back to old habits ....feel free to add me ....wishing you much success
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    So first eating too many carbs doesn't increase weight, eating too many calories do. Your body actually needs carbs to build muscle. What usually happens is the fat content is high with certain carbs and that drives up your calories. I would suggest tracking your calories and macros here. Work on eating some good lean high protein foods like turkey, chicken, lean beef, lamb, fish.. fill in with some good carbs like veggies, potatoes, sweet potatoes etc. Check out the articles on muscleforlife.com to find your best calorie count and work from there. Good luck!!!
  • markstone789
    markstone789 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know your frustration because I love carb, too. I am substituting carb with some steam vegetable or salad. Feel free to add me and wish you achieving your goal.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    bubbex2 wrote: »
    I've been on here quite a while ago. I did great, but was not eating very much. Unhealthy. I've gone from 115 to 130. I am 68 and 5' tall. My dr. says I eat too many carbs and that's the cause of my weight gain. That's about all I eat. I work out 3 times a week...circuit training with intervals between circuits and take Yoga once a week. I am not used to being this big. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but I am miserable. None of my clothes fit. I just need some help and support to eat healthy. I started a low carb diet today on the advise of my doctor. My biggest problem is that I hate almost all veggies. I guess all I'm asking for is some support from people who know it this feels like.

Welcome @bubbex2 .

Best of luck on learning to follow your doctor's awesome advice.

It has been 10 months since I left starving myself to lose weight to now eating very low carb very high fat until I am stuffed. Doing a high calorie style (2600 calories daily) the weight loss is slow because I stop and maintain after every 10-15 pound loss but I have lost another 30 pounds after going low carb so that averages out about 3 pounds a month. I am just under 200 pounds for the first time in 22 years.

Being 64 and a lifelong carb abuser I am very pleased to learn about and adopt this eating lifestyle for life. Keep up your efforts. I eat few veggies due to the carbs most contain contain. I eat mainly 80% fats, 15% protein and 5% carbs daily.

Getting my old head around this new eating lifestyle was not easy but it is working very well in my case for nearly a year now.
  • bubbex2
    Options
    MEHR0908 wrote: »
    I'm also trying to cut down on carbs. Try Danon Light and Fit Greek yogurt.. only 8-9 carbs and high protein so its very filling. Which veggies do you not hate?

Unfortunately, most. Broccoli, asparagus, most greens except spinach and some types of lettuce, brussell sprouts, sweet potatoes...the only one I eat is cooked spinach. I like regular yogurt, but not Greek. I am a horrible eater! I can't figure out how my kids eat so healthy with me as their mother!
  • bubbex2
    Options
    bubbex2 wrote: »

Welcome @bubbex2 .

Best of luck on learning to follow your doctor's awesome advice.

It has been 10 months since I left starving myself to lose weight to now eating very low carb very high fat until I am stuffed. Doing a high calorie style (2600 calories daily) the weight loss is slow because I stop and maintain after every 10-15 pound loss but I have lost another 30 pounds after going low carb so that averages out about 3 pounds a month. I am just under 200 pounds for the first time in 22 years.

Being 64 and a lifelong carb abuser I am very pleased to learn about and adopt this eating lifestyle for life. Keep up your efforts. I eat few veggies due to the carbs most contain contain. I eat mainly 80% fats, 15% protein and 5% carbs daily.

Getting my old head around this new eating lifestyle was not easy but it is working very well in my case for nearly a year now.

How do you manage to lose weight on that many calories? I think one of my problems is that I'm small and every extra pound shows.
    You are making wonderful progress. I will be happy to take of 15 lbs. and maintain.