What's the benefit of cardio?

Options
I have noticed some people who are into heavy lifting who make comments along these lines... "I don't do much cardio anymore" or "I only do cardio like once a week."

So I am just curious...is there any actual benefit to cardio (running, walking, elliptical, etc.)? Do you get all the benefits from cardio when you lift heavy? Just curious.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Improved cardiovascular health? No? :huh:

Some people like cardio, some people don't. I don't like it anymore, so I just lift.

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I just love running, I don't need any more of a reason than that! Most people just do what they enjoy and, for exercise to become a habit for life, that's what is important, no matter whether it's cardio or not. But I guess the benefits for my heart will definitely help me in the long term too.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Mostly that it gets me to work (cycle communting). Oh, and the extra cals in my budget :wink:
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you like that works for you. I'm hoping to do it this time around without getting on the elliptical ever again, I find it so boring. If I can get the job done with daily walks outside and lifting at the gym 3x a week, I'd like that. But some people like it and that's cool too. As long as you're moving.
  • Tdstrength
    Tdstrength Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cardiovascular health, there's nothing wrong with doing it, base it on the type of training your doing, for myself, I wanna be strong and fast, so I guess you can say explosive, I use HIIT, high intensity interval training,
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Its easier to create a deficit in your diet, but you can contribute to your deficit with cardio so it lets you eat more.

I also do it (HIIT only, never steady state - its too boring to me) because whilst I love lifting weights, I wouldn't want to be one of those people that lifts but can't even walk up a hill without panting because I focus too much on one aspect of 'fitness'. A well rounded training routine is therefore important to me. Some people don't care about that so each to their own.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Nothing gets my heart rate up as much as cardio so I feel more fit when I'm doing it regularly. You can certainly get good workouts with lifting and strength training and I try to mix that in as well, but cardio and running is what makes me feel the best and I feel like it works my whole body. The calorie burn is a nice bonus.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    "What's the benefit of cardio?"

There is none.

Kidding. I'm sure there is. I just don't care for it anymore and I can see results without running for hours each week. The most I do is 10 minutes of HIIT before my workout as a warm up.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Aerobic exercise is often called "cardio" because of the proven cardiovascular benefits.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The reason some people say that is because it is possible to achieve a good looking physique and general level of health through good diet and resistance training alone (and you also get some CV benefits through resistance training as well.)

That said there are numerous benefits to "cardio" ranging from psychological, social, fitness to health.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think it depends on the person's goals. From what I've seen, the people who do very little cardio are those who are focusing on improving the appearance of their body whether through weight loss, body recomp, etc, and therefor really only nutrition (whether it's a calorie deficit, workout fuel, etc) and lifting are the only things that really matter. Cardio is nice to give you a little cushion and make up for any inaccurate food logging. I think cardio achieves a separate goal - cardiovascular fitness - so maybe that's why those people just aren't that concerned with it. It doesn't directly benefit them and the goal they're trying to achieve. But as some others have said, it doesn't do much good to be muscular and look good if you're huffing and puffing after climbing stairs, so I think cardio is at least important enough to do more than only once a week.

*Edit - I guess I should actually respond to your question - the benefit of cardio for me personally is what I've stated above - bit of a calorie cushion, cardiovascular health, and also it helps even out my moods and calm my anxiety. I do cardio probably 3x/week and lift 3x/week - I actually enjoy both of them so I'll probably always incorporate both into my life.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm a life long asthmatic. When I "do cardio" my lungs are more open and I feel better. When I feel better I do better in the weight room. When I do better in the weight room I feel even more better. It's just a vicious cycle.
  • derekspiewak
    derekspiewak Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you're after. Most researchers understand now that making your largest muscles work is one of the best ways to burn fat - legs, butt, chest, etc. You burn energy to build those muscles and then they continue burning energy at a higher rate even at rest. So if you do any exercise at all, it should include some strength training of your large muscle groups.

That being said, I'm more of a cardio person myself. I just enjoy it immensely. Mainly I do strength stuff because it helps me with running. It helps my endurance and it does things for my mood that no pills ever did.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Here's why I like cardio:

1. It's good for your heart and lungs. (as someone who smoked for nearly 20 years before quitting this is important to me)

2. Runner's high

3. Burns a crap ton of calories.

Here's what I don't like about cardio.

1. Makes me hungry
    2. Makes me skinny fat in weird places. (Muscular legs, fat tummy, flabby arms)
    3. usually (not always) has activities that make for a longer workout (like running 5 miles takes me an hour)
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you want to talk health benefits, cardio has a good amount of them. you CAN get some of them from heavy lifting, but I'm in the camp of doing a nice combo of both along with stretching and massage.

Cardio benefits are as follows:
    Increase in cardiovascular fitness (endurance and recovery rates)
    Increase in pulmonary fitness (VO2 max etc)
    Increase in bone density- for high impact cardio like running, jumping etc. (can also be seen in weight lifting)
    Increased ability to process sugars and reduces insulin resistance (can help if you are prediabetic)
    Increased calorie burn (burns more calories than weight lifting etc. during the duration of the exercise)
    Can decrease symptoms of depression
    Can elevate mood and decrease negative thoughts
    Increases blood viscosity during exercise duration
    Can aid in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels (genetics and other aspects, like stress levels, diet and smoking can effect how much cardio can help)
    Leads to decreased resting heart rate (signs of a healthy heart)

As far as social benefits, many people find it to be a great way to socialize by joining in on group runs, group exercise classes, and other social events like races and fundraisers.

I personally, enjoy running immensely. It has brought so many joys and health benefits to my life so I will choose to continue to do it as long as possible. I also enjoy lifting and love the results that I see from doing it consistently so i will continue to do that as well.

• Kelleygirl79
    Kelleygirl79 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For many years I ran. I got to where I enjoyed it. Until I hit my 50's. Then I was set-back with so many different injuries, I just got fed up! Pulled hip flexor, shin splits, unexplained pain in the OTHER HIP, toe cramps, the neighbors, the roving packs of dogs, the speeding cars (I live rural), the heat, the rain, the tornadoes, neck pain, lower back pain blah blah blah. Every day became "is this a good day to run?". Good grief. Running was making me feel old!

Then I just said NO MORE. I picked up the kettlebells and I know I'll never run again. LOL. No more injuries and I feel strong and healthy!
  • boricua3177
    boricua3177 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I do cardio twice a week & strength training 4x a week. I mainly do cardio for caloric burn so that I can eat more. Supposedly it improves cardiovascular & circulatory health. I just like it so I incorporate it in my exercise regimen.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The only cardio I really enjoy is hiking, so I go for long challenging hikes on the weekend. I walk during the week to train for those hikes. When I go to the gym I only do 10 minutes of cardio as a warm up, and then weight training. I think the challenging hikes help with my stress level but, most importantly, I feel more prepared for the zombie apocalypse. Zombies don't run very fast, but endurance isn't a problem for them.

Seriously though, I think cardiovascular health is a component of general health. As I work on my endurance I have more energy for just the day to day challenges of life and raising a teenager.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I lift and do cardio, sometimes same day, always run on a non lifting day. I have a family history of heart problems so I want to keep my heart in shape. Interesting that I found this on a bodybuilding website: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark85.htm
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you want to talk health benefits, cardio has a good amount of them. you CAN get some of them from heavy lifting, but I'm in the camp of doing a nice combo of both along with stretching and massage.

Cardio benefits are as follows:
    Increase in cardiovascular fitness (endurance and recovery rates)
    Increase in pulmonary fitness (VO2 max etc)
    Increase in bone density- for high impact cardio like running, jumping etc. (can also be seen in weight lifting)
    Increased ability to process sugars and reduces insulin resistance (can help if you are prediabetic)
    Increased calorie burn (burns more calories than weight lifting etc. during the duration of the exercise)
    Can decrease symptoms of depression
    Can elevate mood and decrease negative thoughts
    Increases blood viscosity during exercise duration
    Can aid in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels (genetics and other aspects, like stress levels, diet and smoking can effect how much cardio can help)
    Leads to decreased resting heart rate (signs of a healthy heart)

As far as social benefits, many people find it to be a great way to socialize by joining in on group runs, group exercise classes, and other social events like races and fundraisers.

Workoutgirl hit it dead on. This is exactly why you do cardio. Especially as you get older. I started running seriously about 6 years ago and it's unbelievable how great I feel running 5-6 days a week and not breaking a sweat walking up 10 flights of stairs like most people who don't do cardio. I'm in better shape now at 45 then I was in my late 20's. And just to be outside enjoying the weather, interacting with people, and the scenery is so nice. I used to do weights all the time but still did cardio as well. Now I'm not saying everyone, but I use to see guys at the gym who NEVER did cardio and were ripped to shreds, and the only way you look like that is if your on some sort of steroids. I find it very hard to just do weights with no cardio and still keep weight off but I guess everyone is different. Even if you do some sort of cardio at least 3 days a week. And you don't burn anywhere close to as many calories just lifting weights as opposed to running or doing the eliptical for 30-40 minutes.