Being honest

Options
Today is the day I start being honest about my calorie intake...and it sucks! Lol I want and need to be healthy. I have food allergies and sometimes ignore them, which make me miserable. I'm stressed, losing hair and itchy all of the time..and now it stops! I'm going to log in EVERYTHING I eat even when in vacation. If it's over my daily goal, I'll hopefully learn from it. Today I begin!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, good luck!
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend just logging for a week or 2 without trying to cut your calories. You will learn allot about where you've been and have a better sense of what it will take eat at your target.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    :# ohhh can do anything better than wish you the best!!

patience + discipline are the key for me
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    “In life, you can't go back and make a new start, but anyone can start from now and make a new ending.” - Will Rogers

WELCOME!
  • earlylinn
    earlylinn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Sheldonklein that was exactly my thought. Fortunately I have food allergies on my side to avoid a lot of temptations. Have been over my goal but not too bad!
  • Kaypix
    Kaypix Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend just logging for a week or 2 without trying to cut your calories. You will learn allot about where you've been and have a better sense of what it will take eat at your target.

This is what i'm trying to start doing today. I've lost weight before using Ideal Protein but hated the side effects and learned nothing about healthy eating. Also lost about 15LB on Weight Watchers but am on a tight budget so don't want to spend the $30/month on a membership. Right now I'm just tracking everything i eat, even if it is unhealthy. I want to see where I'm getting the bulk of my calories (i have a sneaking suspicion it's coffee creamer and snacks at work) and start finding alternatives (not just fruit/veggies, but healthier options than what i currently snack on)

I think getting into the habit of tracking, and then working on improving food choices will be the way I'll go this time.

• Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Seriously, it's way more important than a regular scale. We often log foods incorrectly because we honestly cannot accurately identify the amount we eat without a scale to help. $20 investment now yields huge returns.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Good luck. You dont only need to be honest about calories you generally need to take responsibility for what you do, but dont fret and dont beat up about it. Some days will be better than others. You make better decisions if you dont kid yourself.
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Great approach. It will be an eye-opener, which, hopefully, will lead you to consider your food choices which will then lead to weight loss.
  • earlylinn
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Seriously, it's way more important than a regular scale. We often log foods incorrectly because we honestly cannot accurately identify the amount we eat without a scale to help. $20 investment now yields huge returns.

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like a great investment!
  • earlylinn
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Welcome to MFP, good luck!

Thank you!
  • earlylinn
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    :# ohhh can do anything better than wish you the best!!

patience + discipline are the key for me

I'll remember that! Thank you!
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Logging and being honest about your calorie intake and exercise is the only way Mfp works. Hope you get there.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    @sheldonklein stated this perfectly. Take it slow - don't do anything dramatic and I wouldn't recommend making changes until you become aware of your habits. Set modest achievable goals, hit them, and make new goals.
  • earlylinn
    Options
    Thanks you! It's a journey and I can't wait to learn more about my body and share my knowledge!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Hair loss? :( I went through that. Do talk to your doctor before it gets super thin. I got to where my scalp showed through before I realized how bad it had gotten. My blood tests came back fine so I went on Rogaine and bought a laser comb. They're working and involve minimal investment of time... but first you want to be sure you're not anemic, hypothyroid, etc.
  • earlylinn
    Options
    My scalp is definitely showing! It's terrible, but I have a good attitude. I JUST got health care and am heading to the doctor next week. Did you see a dematologist or family Dr.?
  • takecontrolofme
    takecontrolofme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid and hashimotos and have alot of hair loss and derm just wants me to use rogaine which doesn't work. Does the laser comb work? Which brand? Thanks. I am devastated.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    the first step is the hardest.
    giphy.gif
  • Amsterdamjen
    Amsterdamjen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am actually a cosmetologist and esthetician, and I can tell you right now Rogaine is not the answer. I have been an educator for several very high end lines. There is a new line by Aveda called Invati. I am extremely knowledgeable about hair loss conditions and can assure you that this is the best option for you. As a side note, absolutely do not use Nioxin. Don't be embarrassed. The body is so complex, everyone has issues- some more delicate than others. Very important: purchase the Invati line Stan Aveda Salon. Nowhere else! I guarantee the product will be compromised, and honestly? It usually only saves you about $2 per unit anyway. Please message me with questions. I'd be more than happy to explain to you how the product works. Little do people know, even dermatologists, hair is a very unique entity. It is just not that simple. Cheers.