Can't Seem to Get Started

Options
I say everyday that today is the day that I will start, and just like every other day that starts with good intentions, at the end of the day, I haven't done anything good for myself. I am stressed at work and when I get off I am sooooo mentally and physically tired I don't want to do anything. I have two children that demand my attention all the time. Maybe I'm just making up excuses. I am hungry ALL the time. How do I deal with that? And where do I find the energy to just take that first step. In the past I would just start and everything worked out great. But now, I just don't feel like I have the energy to do anything!!! I am sooooo tired of being tired!. This site has great people and great advise, and I get inspired, but then never feel like I can make myself get up and start... other than to find something to eat. :(

Replies

• widmar
    widmar Posts: 72
    Options
    Sending back to the top.
  • Tallcurls
    Tallcurls Posts: 17
    Options
    HI HI!!
    I know what you are going through! I've been there. I can't give you any sure-fire advice that will guarantee to help you, because I know it's different for everyone, but I will ask you a question: Do you believe you are worth it?

Another thing I can say (now that I think about it) is start off slow/small. ANY little accomplishments are worth reporting. ie, "I was going to have a bowl of ice cream, but I chose fresh fruit instead", "I was going to go to McDonalds, and get a burger, but I passed it, went home, and had a salad", "The kids and I played tag today for 15 minutes"...or what have you. Those little accomplishments, and the praise you will receive from your friends here, will help you gain self-esteem through this, and will keep you going.

Also, stop with the guilt. It's counter-productive. If you start your day of great, but end it a little rough...so what, you did great earlier. Move on, and keep trying. (My apologies for being blunt. My intent is to help, not to hurt you.)

You can do this!! Seriously, you can!!

OH..."p.s." I turned my "daily log" on, so that others can view it...it helps me to be accountable knowing that others are (potentially) looking at what I eat. And I don't hold out...lol...I put it all in. I've gotten better as soon as I turned that function on.
  • Tallcurls
    Tallcurls Posts: 17
    Options
    OH...and plan your meals. Some people do it a week in advance, but I only do it one day in advance. If you look, I have my day already planned for tomorrow. That ALSO keeps me in line!

I hope I helped!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I understand it's difficult. But thousands of Moms with jobs manage to make this work.

Exercise is great for stress. Eating healthy foods that are low in salt and sugar makes you feel much better.

I'm jus sayin
  • dsc1974
    dsc1974 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey Widmar, I can soooo relate! But I finally found the strength to get started for good.What worked for me was to make one change a day for 7 days, so I wouldn't feel like I was dieting , until I realized that I had all the right habits and applied them every day for 7 days.Before I knew it, I was eating healthy again.First I took all gluten out (I'm gluten intolerant), then I started increasing my water intake, then I made a point to take my multivitamin and fish oil am and pm always, then I planned my workouts for the week, and finally I took out all processed sugar.Here I am, I did it for a week and did not die! So now I'm ready to keep tracks of my progress here with everybody else !
    Hope that helps.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Just do it! I know how hard it can be to force yourself sometimes
    but when its over you will feel so much better and it will be easier the next day.
    I work two jobs and chase my 1 and 2 1/2 yr old grand kids. 3 days a week for
    10 hrs whewww kids are a major work out them selves
  • SarahC75
    SarahC75 Posts: 45
    Options
    OH...and plan your meals. Some people do it a week in advance, but I only do it one day in advance. If you look, I have my day already planned for tomorrow. That ALSO keeps me in line!

I hope I helped!

This!
    I only plan mine for the day... usually when I am logging in what I had for breakfast. Not only will it help you keep on track, It's also something you don't have to deal with later on at meal times.
    Regarding the hungry all the time thing. Are you drinking enough water? When you feel like you may be hungry but know that you have recently eaten etc, have a glass of water. Could be that you are dehydrated.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to discourage you by any means, but truthfully, I think you have to be mentally ready before the rest of the process kicks in. At least that's what I've found for myself and other friends who have committed to weight loss. Trust me when I say that I was in your shoes before I was ready... Regardless, just do your best. Keep the food and exercise journals because they will help start to motivate you. And MFP will definitely help if you log in daily.
  • widmar
    Options
    I am trying to set small goals for myself. Like today, I didn't have a diet Coke (which I looove). Sounds small, but still an accomplishment for me. LOL. I have been drinking more water and I know that when I start, I will feel sooooo much better. I always do when working out. Then eating seems to fall into place because I don't want to "Ruin" the workout. I think I am having a very emotional day today. Been crying for no reason. Maybe I'm hormonal because I am not usually this down on myself. I am going to make myself sign up for the gym that I have been looking at TODAY. I know I don't want to waste that money every month, so I will probably start going. Thanks for all the advise. I really appreciate it!!!
  • dreamingofsandiego23
    dreamingofsandiego23 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It helps if you have a buddy.. someone to be accountable with. I had a hard time getting motivated..actually.. I was motivated, but literally got so busy I FORGOT! But I tell ya..I am SO Tired of this weight I have put on.. it really does come from within..

When You Just Can't Take It ANYMORE!!... You will do it. ;0)

A Wise friend recently told me.. One Foot In Front OF The Other.... Just Do It!!
  • mororange
    mororange Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also did not have any diet coke today! It was really hard. I joined yesterday and I also feel overwhelmed. But I think we have taken the first steps to getting where we want to be. Slow and steady wins the race :)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am trying to set small goals for myself. Like today, I didn't have a diet Coke (which I looove). Sounds small, but still an accomplishment for me. LOL. I have been drinking more water and I know that when I start, I will feel sooooo much better.

That's a great step in the right direction. Slow and steady...
  • widmar
    Options
    Have a little bit of a caffeine headache, but still no soda. The end of the day at work is my toughest time. I want chocolate and soda, but so far just water. Yay