(0) Obtain vegetable plant material.
    (1) Place in mouth.
    (2) Chew
    (3) Swallow

Is this really that difficult?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I despise most veggies, just don't like the taste. I have discovered that while I can stand to eat some cooked ones, I'm much more likely to eat raw veggies, espically in a salad. You can build a salad out of ANYTHING, so find a dressing you like that you can keep down to a reasonable calorie amount and build a salad for it. I also love a lot of tempura veggies. I still won't eat green beans or broccoli, but tempura squashes are divine! Cruise online recipe sites and see what pops up. You'll probably come across a lot of recipes that would work well for you, just need to try them. And if you find some that the whole family likes, your mom might be happy making it since it means everyone is getting veggies they need!

I personally think 1200 is a bit low as you don't have a lot more you need to lose. Try recalculating to 1lb or even .5lb a week and see where that gets you. The closer you are to your goal, the better it is to lose slowly. It's healthier and gives you more time to adjust your eating habits so you can keep the weight off.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself on proper nutrition and start adding veggies to your day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is a sweet and satisfying salad.
    http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/carrot-apple-salad.php

It has apples and raisins. Passed the hubby taste test.
  • derekspiewak
    derekspiewak Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, this problem takes care of itself. Here's what's going to happen:

1. Continue eating your processed carby foods within your calorie limits

2. Get really, really hungry. Realize that even though it has a lot of calories, it's not enough to fill you up.

3. Start eating low-calorie foods to keep you from getting hungry.

4. Find out how inexpensive and low-calorie vegetables are.

5. Eat vegetables.

6. Begin to like vegetables.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Vegetables are good, but just carbs and veggies aren't all you need. Add in proteins and fats as well, and you'll be much happier. Well-balanced means just that, carbs, proteins, fats, and vegetables/fruits (which, for the record, are also carbs).
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You're a *kitten* adult. Put the vegetables in your mouth, chew, and swallow.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Find a friend who knows how to buy produce, and have them guide you in making some selections.

Many of us are not actually familiar with the produce section of the grocery store and don't know how to select or store produce. (Depending on where you live, most produce should not go in the refrigerator. Cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers in particular. I put red onions in the refrigerator in the morning if I plan to dice them that afternoon - I find that cold onions seem to release less of the chemical that irritates my eyes. Your mileage may vary.)

Learn how to select produce.
    Taste vegetables. Find the ones you like. I love sugar snap peas, cucumber, and red bell peppers. I loathe green bell peppers. I like spinach but don't care for arugula. I don't like cauliflower or broccoli raw, but there's an Afghani roasted cauliflower dish I'm keen to try. I can give eggplant a miss, but like asparagus.

Give vegetables multiple tries, trying them different ways. Order vegetables when you go out to eat and experiment with broadening your horizons.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Try a local farmers market. When it comes to vegetables, fresh, vine ripened, and in season are 100% more tasty than picked days ago and ripened during shipping.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I would definitely consider, as others have suggested, trying vegetables multiple times and eating them different ways. I grew up not enjoying peas because they were always mushy canned peas which taste nothing like frozen or fresh peas. I don't like some veggies raw, but have found they taste great roasted or steamed. There's no sense in eating things you hate, so don't suffer through it.

I also like the suggestion of combining sweet and savory flavors, like in a carrot raisin salad. Totally delicious.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Consider adding some fruits and sweet vegetables (sweet potatoes, sweet corn, etc.) in reasonable portions. See if that helps you reduce your cravings for less healthy sweets. I found that when I started trying to get 3 (whole) fruits a day, my cravings for candy and such reduced dramatically. If possible, seek out the sweet-tasting but not max calorie fruits, like berries, watermelon, etc. Bananas are good, but higher in calories - still lower than a candy bar, though, plus more filling & nutritious.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    faji2015 wrote: »
    I basically eat processed or carbs only. I am on 1200 calorie and now I am getting worried about my hairs n skin...when I was not on 1200. I was eating three meals. Serious meals what everybody eats. But, I can't leave my sweey tooth n carb love. I waste my all calories on 2 carb items daily.So, I am not left with any calories to eat proper meals.And then, I starve myself rest of the day. What should I do?

Stop doing that

You're not a toddler

Use your adult reasoning to override your temporary food habits and balance out your diet

You will increase your volume of food by introducing vegetables

Pre-log, look for vegetable recipes etc
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Try this

Peel and cut butternut squash into fry shapes, coat in a small amount of oil, salt and pepper, roast until slightly blackened turning (around 40 minutes) ...also works with carrots, onions other veg

Google healthy vegetable recipes

Here these are the vegetarian ones on http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/vegetarian-recipes.html ...they are vegetable based main courses ...try some

And realise it's time to re-educate your palette

Far too many adults walking round like small children
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    faji2015 wrote: »
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    How old are you?

Her profile says she's 20.

OP, what are your stats (height, current weight, goal weight)? 1200 calories may be too low. You may be able to lose weight while eating more calories than that, which would mean that you could fit in vegetables into your plan.

I am 20, 5.5" and weigh 156lbs. I weigh my carbs so I am losing 2lbs per week. Actually, my mother cooks at home. And at college(Hostel) we have cafes so I usually eat processed.

2lbs a week is too aggressive. Switch to .5 or 1 lb loss a week. And just experiment with different vegetables. I like salads, steamed broccoli, baby carrots, cucumbers, and zucchini.

This^

Set a more moderate goal. That will give you some wiggle room.

Liking veggies just takes experimentation. You might like raw carrots, but hate them cooked. I dislike steamed Brussels sprouts but love them roasted. Grilled asparagus is yummy to me, never had asparagus until I was in my 30's.

You will find differences between fresh and frozen. Frozen peas and fresh are pretty similar, canned peas are nasty. Frozen green beans or so-so and fresh green beans are yummy, canned green beans are nasty. You just need to keep trying different things.