What do you struggle to eat?

I've found its always a challenge to get the daily amount of vegetables my body needs. After my morning workouts I've grown accustomed to having about a cup of veggies and a smaller container of a healthy fat like hummus! What do you struggle to eat on a daily basis?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Nothing, my diet is comprised of stuff that I actually like to eat.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Iron and potassium are things I really didn't eat enough of and have worked on a lot. But there are others, too. Many of my micros were being neglected.

Protein is another thing I struggle (and frequently fail) to hit. That's not the inflated-bodybuilder-goal for protein. That's regular-dietary-advice kind of goals.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    leafy greens! OMG. i hate them. regular iceberg lettuce is about the only one i like and that really doesn't have any nutritional value.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    I struggle with protein, too. I don't eat red meat or seafood, don't like beans or anything. Although I eat chicken, it grosses me out to eat it frequently. I try to supplement with protein shakes but regularly fall short of my daily goal.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I struggle to meet my protein macro of 25%. I finally started adding protein powder to my diet (in my coffee) and that finally did the trick.
  • chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    I just struggle to eat, to get enough calories period. Protein is not so bad with the shakes, but there are days I don't hit 1000 calories.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Salads! I force myself to eat them a couple times a week, but never enjoy it. I put some shrimp and bleu cheese on it, or chicken, but yuck! I'm always being encouraged to eat more salad. I think of salads as God's punishment on fat people!!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Mycophilia wrote: »

This... there must be something you actually like thats equally 'healthy' that you can eat instead
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I struggle to meet my protein macro of 25%. I finally started adding protein powder to my diet (in my coffee) and that finally did the trick.

With you being on a keto based diet, what are you eating that prevents hitting a 25% protein target? Just curious, as most significant low-carb people I know have no difficulty hitting protein and fat goals.

I also struggle at times with hitting protein, but that comes from my diet being mostly vegetarian, with occasional fish. I have been at maintenance weight for 7 months or so, and the only thing I track anymore is protein.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Protein. I don't like to eat a lot of meat or dairy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Fruit. I have no problems getting in my macros, my vegetables, my water. But often the fruit gets left in the lunch bag at the end of the day. Hubby is baffled, and lectures me it is the first thing I should eat. I think it's the little bits that end up between my teeth to be flossed that bothers me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Right now I am struggling to eat all the Swiss Chard being produced by my garden. I like it best in casserole and it's too hot to turn on the oven. I may give some away on Freecycle like I did last year.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited August 2015
    mantium999 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

With you being on a keto based diet, what are you eating that prevents hitting a 25% protein target? Just curious, as most significant low-carb people I know have no difficulty hitting protein and fat goals.

I also struggle at times with hitting protein, but that comes from my diet being mostly vegetarian, with occasional fish. I have been at maintenance weight for 7 months or so, and the only thing I track anymore is protein.

My high fat foods sometimes displace my protein. Eggs in the morning has protein but my coconut cream in my coffee has very little, nor does my bacon if I add it, so I'll add a half serving of protein powder to my coffee. This morning's breakfast was 28 g protein and 34g fat, and I ate 2 eggs, half a bacon, coffee with coconut cream and whey protein powder.

Dinner last night was a burger patty with a slice of cheese with celery and cucumbers dipped in an asiago and artichoke dip. That was 24g protein and 45 g fat.

I' m not a huge meat eater. I can't eat more than 4oz of a meat without feeling a bit ....wrong, so I rarely do it. Because of that, and because fats are so tasty, I need to be conscious of not skipping my protein. For example, I'll have two eggs for breakfast rather than 1 egg and some bacon... Usually. ;)
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    edited August 2015
    rebijord wrote: »
    I've found its always a challenge to get the daily amount of vegetables my body needs. After my morning workouts I've grown accustomed to having about a cup of veggies and a smaller container of a healthy fat like hummus! What do you struggle to eat on a daily basis?

I don't struggle with veg anymore as I bought a actifry and love it I have chips with no fat in them. You can put in oil but I don't I spray with one cal spray and munch them up. Tomatoes butternut squash carrots yum yum
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Nothing really. I guess I just really like food, including vegetables! ;-)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Mycophilia wrote: »

This.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I never eat salads -- something about the mixed veggies is weird for me. I like one veggie at a time.
    I prefer one large bowl of cucumbers with some hemp seeds and a little salt.
    Or romaine lettuce right out of the bag that I eat with my fingers. I can eat a whole bag of romaine that way but if it is cut up and put in a bowl with other veggies -- yuck.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    I went from 3 20 ounce pepsis, chocolate, chips and pastry diet to oatmeal with unsweetened peanut butter breakfast; artichoke/asparagus/beans/beets/bitter greens/cabbage/mushroom/onnions/peppers/a sprinkle of peanuts and sesame seeds; and a beef/salmon or turkey burger w mayo and blue cheese for dinner. 17 days into this I had a chef's sald with bacon, cheese and egg. I prefered my vegan one. Your tastes change over time. Also about 24 days in I stopped eating as much because I was no longer...hungry or obsessed with jawing food. Dr Fuhrman would say that I was nourished enough from all the vegetables that my toxic hunger went away. Additionally at some point we need to WO-man up and do things for our body such as eat for life and not for taste.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Right now I am struggling to eat all the Swiss Chard being produced by my garden. I like it best in casserole and it's too hot to turn on the oven. I may give some away on Freecycle like I did last year.

It's really good mixed into a tomato based pasta sauce or in an omelet. I use it pretty much everywhere I would use spinach or kale.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It's really good mixed into a tomato based pasta sauce or in an omelet. I use it pretty much everywhere I would use spinach or kale.

Yes, I do do this, but that only consumes around a leaf per serving, as opposed to the 4 quarts of leaves in the casserole. I think I will have eggs and chard and red peppers for lunch though - I just need to do this more regularly.

I did reach out to my Freecyle person from last year and she was excited to hear from me.