Quark?

Options
I keep seeing these ads on MFP for Quark - a german style cheese product that is much like Greek yogurt. I'd love some product reviews! Is it worth the money? Is it worth the calories? Thanks in advance! Have a healthy day!

Replies

• rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It's actually more like a cream cheese than greek yoghurt. It can be used to make cheesecake/pates/on baked potatoes - the same as you would for any other cream cheese. Not sure about the calorie count, but it depends on what you want to use it for, I'd only use it for cooking really, although it can be nice rolled up in salmon/ham with a bit of onion. If memory serves me right then it is really low fat. It is worth buying to try it, but make sure you have a recipe to try it out if you don't want to eat it plain.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    quark tastes so much better than greek yogurt, and is generally very low in calories/high in protein. Def give i a try!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    I keep seeing these ads on MFP for Quark - a german style cheese product that is much like Greek yogurt. I'd love some product reviews! Is it worth the money? Is it worth the calories? Thanks in advance! Have a healthy day!

Quark is definitely worth the calories, it has the highest protein to calories ratio of any dairy that I know of, but tastes like crap if you have it by itself.

Pros: You can make it either sweet or savory.

Cons: It really, really doesn't taste good if you don't mix it with something.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I was so excited when I found Ellie Quark at my store two weeks ago. Not too excited about the price, but the nutrition was great, so I bought two containers anyway (peach and raspberry). I loved 'fromage blanc' in France and was hoping it would be similar...

NOPE. It's not creamy, it's bland, just not good. Prefer Greek yogurt by far (actually I prefer Stonyfield's Petite Creme but that's expensive too).

Might just be that brand though but I'm definitely not buying that again.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Quark is probably kwark? The Dutch word for Cream cheese. In Flanders we call this platte kaas 'flat cheese'
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Buy it, try it. I went through a serious Quark love many years ago when I was on Weight Watchers. I used it wherever one might use sour cream or cream cheese. I used it so much my children got seriously suspicious if I was sneaking it in to their sandwiches. They hated Quark.

http://www.dairygoodness.ca/recipes/Quark-Yogurt-Cheesecake-with-Blueberry-Preserves
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    quark tastes so much better than greek yogurt, and is generally very low in calories/high in protein. Def give i a try!

I totally agree. I buy the strawberry flavored quark and, if I ever remember to bring some protein powder into work, will buy the plain.

It's less tangy/tarty than greek yogurt. It tastes more...smooth, I guess. :)