Low sugar drink alternatives

Options
Hi,

I've been using MFP for about a week now, and am impressed. I'm finding that my diet is quite heavy on sugar, I'm used to having orange juice for breakfast and really dig Gatorade for during the workday. Does anyone have any similar alternatives they can suggest? I know there's going to be the ever-present 'drink more water,' but I do drink water too and am looking for something similar to a sports drink and a good breakfast alternative. I'm a 'grab and go' kind of person, so would not have time to prepare anything each morning. Thanks in advance for your help, and best of luck to everyone on their health journey.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee all day with cream, but I factor that cream into my macros. I also enjoy carbonated water with lime. Add a bit of salt if you need it.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I drink flavoured perrier (0 calories), crystal light (strawberry orange banana is my favourite)(5 calories) and gatorade has a 30 calorie per serving variety G2 it has 7 gm of sugar.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    There are lower sugar juices available, or you could simply cut the juice with water (1/2 water 1/2 juice, or whatever mix works best for you).

Drinking sports drinks when you aren't doing sports sounds silly and maybe dangerous to me. Seems like that could throw your electrolyte balance off.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Try this as a substitute for OJ:
    81T7uSYyG2L._SX425_.jpg

This is a nice little pick-me-up. I mix it with supps pre-workout:
    k2-_881d46a0-925f-4c72-add9-36e8058b3aee.v2.jpg
  • jdbmke
    jdbmke Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are lower sugar juices available, or you could simply cut the juice with water (1/2 water 1/2 juice, or whatever mix works best for you).

Drinking sports drinks when you aren't doing sports sounds silly and maybe dangerous to me. Seems like that could throw your electrolyte balance off.

Thank you all for the suggestions, these are great and things I wasn't even thinking about. Need2Exerc1se, I usually only have one 20 oz. bottle throughout the day and walk tons so am not overly concerned, but I had never heard of having an electrolyte imbalance before and looked it up. Eeek. Might not be bad to cut back a little.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Not trying to push a particular brand, but Vega has a great little product called the Vega Sport Electrolyte Hydrator. My husband loves these and uses them in his water when running very long distance. You just put it in and shake. Only one flavour though.

Coconut water is great for hydration too (ONE brand is best and they have mango or pineapple flavours too)
    And of course, iced herbal tea.

http://vegasport.com/vega-life/vega-blog/sugar-free-hydration/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I live for variety so I hear you. I have various teas that I sweeten with artificial sweetener (or you can just leave that out). Try them hot or cold. Add a spritz of lemon. This could replace your breakfast juice.

To replace Gatorade I like having Biosteel in my water for a variety of amino acids and it adds a little sweetness to the water. If you are serious about replacing your electrolytes get some Gastrolyte from the pharmacy.

I have three or four water bottles going at any one time and as I finish one I refill it with water and put it in the fridge. So I can do a grab-n-go in the morning.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I like Premier protein shakes in the morning - sometimes I add berries, spinach, and kale to make a smoothie. For the rest of the day I drink sparkling water - you get great flavored ones! And I make a big batch of iced tea at home, and add a little stevia.