how do you stay on track when you are not at home?

Options
Ok I need some ideas or ways or knowelge as to how to stay on track when not at home. Either out to eat or just at someone else's house.
Today I was at my unlce's house and didn't have choice in what I eat. I did grab a Lean Cuisen (sp) pizza at the store on the way there but didn't really have any fruit or veggies. I was starving so I had some rasins and a few chips and prezzles and 3 cookies. OK OK I know I can stay away from the cookies but what do you eat or do you just not eat?

Replies

• armywife26
    armywife26 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I feel like I go round and round and there are just so many times when I have to be out and eat what is provided and not what I would at home. I am mostly talking about at other's house's not so much going out to eat.
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I try and eat a light meal right before going, that way if they don't have the healthiest foods, I have more will power to have really small portions.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    My phone has a "myfitnesspal" app that lets me log things and check calories on the go. It's a free app so if you have a cell and the ability to put apps on, you may want to consider adding it! It's fantastic!
  • Lisa076
    Lisa076 Posts: 78
    Options
    I try and eat a light meal right before going, that way if they don't have the healthiest foods, I have more will power to have really small portions.

Great Idea!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Willpower!!!!!!!!!!!
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I look to eat whatever is not processed as much as possible. Meat, veggies, and fruit. Typically there is more of one versus the other when you're out so I eat more of what is available in those three categories.

If the food isn't all that good for me I only eat enough to curb my appetite until I can get to some good food.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    try to eat as many veggies as possible there and at a restraunt I usually order meat and veggies (no crazy low calorie meals) If I am at someones house hey try bring fruit with you or just eat a small before you get there that way you donot go crazy with whatever is provided.
  • Marcus19
    Marcus19 Posts: 24
    Options
    If your outtings are planned, then try of course to eat before you go. That way you are in control (if you fail to plan, then you plan to fail) another thing I try to do is have a eating schedule. I plan out at what time I'm going to eat throughout the day. If you do that and MAKE yourself stick to it, you'll be suprised at how creative you can be. Worst case scenario, and you arrive at whomevers house, and you're starving, really try to limit your portions, and not over do it. But you want to try to eat BEFORE you feel hungry. I hope this helps, best of luck to you!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    If you know a specific restaurant you are goint too, plan ahead. Check online for their menu and nutrition, so you know what you can/can't order. It is hard when you aren't at home, but just do the best you can. Salads are usually a good choice if you are at a restaurant. Chicken is good, low in calories and high in protein. As for being at some one's house, that is a little tougher. All you can do is use your best judgement. You can do it.
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    First of all, it's okay to go over your daily calories every now and then.

As to your actual question, all I can suggest is eat smaller portions If you have healthy snacks between meals, I've heard we should all really eat every two to three hours to keep our blood sugar level, you should feel less hungry and therefore eat less. I know on the days I snack between meals I feel less hungry so I guess it works.
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I always keep a fiber one bar or protein bar in my purse since they don't go bad. That way if I am out and about I have something on hand to eat and it makes me less likely to eat bad food.
  • Tmrice721
    Tmrice721 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    For me, if I know I'm going to be out all day, I pack fresh fruits, yogurt and even water in an insulated lunch box, and I will usually treat myself to a healthy or maybe not so healthy lunch like Subway or Wendy's grilled chicken with side salad (haven't had that in a while...yumm) but the key is planning, and even if you decide to eat something sweet, don't be too hard on yourself, you have to enjoy life :wink:
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Eating more protein and fiber will help keep you fuller longer and for those other times I keep a protein bar (17 grams or more) in my purse just in case.

When away from home, stick to the lean protein and veggies in small portions and you will be fine! Drink lots of water too!

Good Luck! You can do it!
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    I try to plan my days ahead and amend them using my mobile app when necessary. If I really don't know what I'm going to be able to eat, I pop some snacks in my bag -- usually a cheese string, some almonds, and a couple of pieces of fruit. That way I'll have *something* to eat if all else fails.
  • armywife26
    armywife26 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone and you are all so very right I just need to plan my day better. I know that when I go to my uncle's house he will not have fruits or veggies there and so I need to bring my own. Thank you all! Something so easy and something I knew but really need to stick too!