Do you add alcohol to your food diary

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I always count wine.

I tend to be a little lax about counting shots of low-carb alchohols with calorie-free mixers. I don't drink often though, so it doesn't add up to much.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    GillianLF wrote: »
    So glad I asked. Finding huge support here and realised that I do not have anything to be ashamed about. I just wondered if people who were trying to lose weight were generally anti-alcohol. Delighted to see this is not the case.

Must say I love the MFP support and shared experiences!

Regarding alcohol, it really is all about what you can work in to your daily calorie targets. It is an easy thing to cut out when you are trying to cut down on calories so I think that is why you don't see a lot of it in people's diaries. They are not anti-alcohol, they are just trying to get their food macros in first.

That's me.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. When I was tracking I would typically log 1-2 glasses of wine but really have way more than that, eh woops, worked out for me in the end but ya you definitely want to account for the cals...they add up. If you are embarrassed for whatever reason you can always do a quick add cals
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a couple of drinks at the weekend, maybe even on a weekday if there is an occasion. I have not yet seen anyone's food diary where they have counted alcohol. Are fit people generally non drinkers?

I know, I know, empty calories. (I had no idea how many calories!) But I'd prefer not to eliminate it altogether.

I've added my alcohol to the food diary, at least then if I'm going to consume those calories they get counted and I can get more awareness and therefore control around my lifestyle choices. I'm just wondering in general do people add their alcohol intake to the food diary? And if so how does it make you feel?

I drink 2-3 days a week most weeks, sometimes 4 and add every drop of it to my diary. I've never thought about how I feel about it. I consume it so I log it. If my MFP friends don't like seeing it they don't have to look at my diary.

Feel free to send me a friend request and you can view my diary if you like.
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I choose not to drink so "NO" is my answer. I have seen to many people destroy their lives with that stuff and not to mention the calories in it is to much for me. I will have my dessert instead. :smiley:
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I didn't end up drinking on any sort of regular basis until I started losing weight and my doc recommended drinking a glass of red wine most nights to bring up my HDL cholesterol. I haven't done that regularly in a while, but logging helped me stay in control of my overall calories. I log everything, and I think most people limiting their calories naturally end up limiting their alcohol to avoid being miserable!
  • JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I have the occasional glass of wine or beer and it gets logged.

If it's a special occasion and I'm drinking a lot more than usual, chances are I'm also eating more than usual too so it's a no-log or guesstimate day (and if the scales haven't moved that week then I'm well aware why!).

^^ this ^^
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I once didn't eat but about 300 calories during the day in anticipation of it being Friday and wanting some Twisted Tea. Then I drank it, logged it and cried. (not really). Two 24-ounce cans put me over for the day. So now I don't starve myself in order to have a drink, i just eat normally and if I'm going to have one or two, I will and log it and move on. It's scary how many calories drinks can have in them, and not even just the alcoholic kind. 1200 calories a day doesn't go far. :)
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Cheese burgers and brownies taste to good to spend my calories on alcohol. Not even pina coladas!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a couple of drinks at the weekend, maybe even on a weekday if there is an occasion. I have not yet seen anyone's food diary where they have counted alcohol. Are fit people generally non drinkers?

I know, I know, empty calories. (I had no idea how many calories!) But I'd prefer not to eliminate it altogether.

I've added my alcohol to the food diary, at least then if I'm going to consume those calories they get counted and I can get more awareness and therefore control around my lifestyle choices. I'm just wondering in general do people add their alcohol intake to the food diary? And if so how does it make you feel?

I drink 2-3 days a week most weeks, sometimes 4 and add every drop of it to my diary. I've never thought about how I feel about it. I consume it so I log it. If my MFP friends don't like seeing it they don't have to look at my diary.

Feel free to send me a friend request and you can view my diary if you like.

/thread

The bolded part goes for everything, whether it be alcohol, "cheat" days, breath mints, or coffee. Your body doesn't ignore the calories just because you didn't put it in your diary.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do, and sometimes will go over in my calories for it. I'm still losing, so it's okay. I don't eat dessert, so it fits pretty well, although, sometimes I will have some ice cream. I am going to my cousin's wedding this Friday, and don't plan on logging it accurately. It will be a heeeaaarge (huge) cheat day :dizzy:
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    No wine for me, though. I'm allergic, so I'm not able to be fancy. At my friend's wedding, I put gatorade in my wine glass to feel part of the crowd. I don't like liquor, but drink it when it's a free bar.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have 2 happy hours a month where I do not log the margaritas I drink. Other than that, I usually only have an occasional beer and I do log them.
  • Cliles4113
    Cliles4113 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My husband and I add everything we eat or drink, including alcohol. On the weekends or an occasional week night, we like to have a drink (or 2). Its best to add it and account for it!
  • Cliles4113
    Cliles4113 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also.... vodka, water, and Mio (any flavor) is a great combo and LOW calorie! Vodka and light lemonade or vodka and orange sunkist is good too! It lets me enjoy a drink while still staying low in my calories!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Yes, I absolutely log it. I have a place in my diary specifically for alcohol. It's probably the only "meal" that always, always has an entry.
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I cant usually remember how much and what iv drank, but I still lose atleast 1lb every week without fail!
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't process alcohol the same way it processes food
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If I drank it, I'd add it.

Everything counts.