Advice

Options

Replies

• Jalita1
    Jalita1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    lovellm122 wrote: »
    LOL at not knowing what a clean diet is.

Based on the responses that I've seen here, not even "clean eaters" know what it is. Every person who claims to follow it gives a different description.

I do TRY to eat clean, but I am not perfect with it at all...as originally stated.
    A month ago I ate fast food almost daily and drank nothing but soda, so Im fairly thrilled with my progress...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Here's the issue with the terminology you are using. "Clean" eating is a completely relative term and doesn't really mean anything. It's different to everyone.

All foods are processed to some extent, including organic fruits and vegetables (shocking i know). Some people think it means eating less processed foods, or grass fed meats, or no prepackaged foods, or maybe it's only organic foods, etc. It has no meaning.

Ultimately, you will only find success in this if you pick an eating style that you can maintain, well, forever. For most people that "these foods are bad" or "those foods are unclean" are bad mindsets to be in. Start eliminating the foods you love and enjoy and soon enough you'll be binging your way through boxes of eggo waffles and mcdonalds fries (trust me, cause i've been there).

You need to find balance in your eating style. Both foods high in macronutrients/micronutrients AND foods you love to eat. The less you feel that you are depriving yourself the better. Start making small changes over time!

I think it's best to eat the foods you ALREADY eat, and just cut down on the portion. Focus on your calorie goal FIRST. Once you adjust to hitting that number of calories you can start experimenting with substituting for lower calorie options, more veggies and fruits, etc.

If you want to lose these ten pounds you just need to focus on the calories you're eating now. it will probably be another 2-ish months before you're able to donate the kidney and that's okay. ;)

Best of luck.
  • Jalita1
    Options
    Jalita1 wrote: »
    Also stop eating pizza and peanut butter. have chicken and spinach for lunch.

Haha. Wow. Okay... My "pizza" was a whole wheat tortilla, 1 tbs of tomato sauce And 1/4 cup lite motz cheese... And then I added some raw veggies..

And yeah, peanut butter isn't the healthiest... Ill agree with you there. I would assume, that 1 tbs every day isn't bad?

But thank you for your advice.

Was just what caught my eye when looking at the food diary. I just try and think whats the most nutrients and macros i can get out of my calorie allowance. Was just thinking you could get more bang for ya buck with swapping the peanut butter and pizza for something better.

Understandable.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Based on the responses that I've seen here, not even "clean eaters" know what it is. Every person who claims to follow it gives a different description.

I do TRY to eat clean, but I am not perfect with it at all...as originally stated.
    A month ago I ate fast food almost daily and drank nothing but soda, so Im fairly thrilled with my progress...

You don't have to be perfect -- a calorie deficit is what drives weight loss, not eating "clean" (whatever meaning you wish to attach to it). If you like your tortilla pizza and peanut butter and it fits with your other nutritional and calorie goals, there is no reason to swap it out for chicken and spinach.

And congratulations on your progress!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Everyone who flips from eating mostly (or all) junk to eating healthy food has struggles. Don't sweat it!! If you keep working at it, eventually, you succeed and actually have a healthy diet. It's so hard, though! Don't beat yourself up.

Just stick with it and eventually you'll get into a groove that works for you. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    First of all, bless your heart for becoming a kidney donor. My husband is a dialysis nurse. Second, congrats on choosing a healthy lifestyle and 'clean' eating with the goal to sustain it. Good luck with all of this.
  • lovellm122
    lovellm122 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Right...

So how do you define it then? Because, from the all the people on here that I've asked; they couldn't get a definition which was the same.

LOL at this too right? Peanut butter is fine - unless you have any medical reasons on why you can't have it... then eat PB. Pizza - it's fine in moderation (like everything).

Chill. Basically there will always be discrepancies in such definitions, as research and HC professionals are constantly changing their mind on which are the 'cleanest' foods to include in your diet etc. We have macros which we set according to our goals. eating clean means getting all your macros from the healthiest sources of food; we eliminate sugars and saturated fats as much as possible, we use whole wheat and whole meal instead of white refined, we use fresh food instead of processed. We dont meet our calorie goals with bad food; pizza, cheese, cake, chocolate etc. you try and get the most bang for ya buck nutrition wise. what do you think will better your body most? .... Also forget about moderation if you want to achieve. get this right, you dont need cheat meals, you want cheat meals. you dont need pizza, you want it. There is a difference. your body would prefere healthy foods, and you will meet your goal fast and more efficiently that way.
  • Jalita1
    Options
    Im not wanting to eat mostly clean to lose weight... Im just trying to eat cleaner because I personally think its better for me... Will I ever have "junk"? Totally...treats here and there are fine, in moderation. But I plan to eat mostly fruits and veggies and lean meats eventually. And hopefully as much organic as I can incorporate. Its a process for me to get there... And I was slowly getting there before the whole kidney donation snafu...
  • lovellm122
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    First of all, bless your heart for becoming a kidney donor. My husband is a dialysis nurse. Second, congrats on choosing a healthy lifestyle and 'clean' eating with the goal to sustain it. Good luck with all of this.

I second this, awesome.

• janejellyroll
    Options

Right...

So how do you define it then? Because, from the all the people on here that I've asked; they couldn't get a definition which was the same.

LOL at this too right? Peanut butter is fine - unless you have any medical reasons on why you can't have it... then eat PB. Pizza - it's fine in moderation (like everything).

Chill. Basically there will always be discrepancies in such definitions, as research and HC professionals are constantly changing their mind on which are the 'cleanest' foods to include in your diet etc. We have macros which we set according to our goals. eating clean means getting all your macros from the healthiest sources of food; we eliminate sugars and saturated fats as much as possible, we use whole wheat and whole meal instead of white refined, we use fresh food instead of processed. We dont meet our calorie goals with bad food; pizza, cheese, cake, chocolate etc. you try and get the most bang for ya buck nutrition wise. what do you think will better your body most? .... Also forget about moderation if you want to achieve. get this right, you dont need cheat meals, you want cheat meals. you dont need pizza, you want it. There is a difference. your body would prefere healthy foods, and you will meet your goal fast and more efficiently that way.

Except many people "eating clean" don't avoid saturated fat, they have concluded that it is healthy for us. And many people "eating clean" avoid wheat completely, they have concluded that it isn't healthy for us. And many people "eating clean" don't avoid chocolate provided that it is prepared in certain ways.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Right...

i'm sorry, but a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

and saying these foods are "bad" is nonsense. They are just foods.

Are you seriously telling OP to just say "goodbye all of the foods i love and enjoy i will never eat you again ever in my lifetime". That's BS and not gonna be sustained long term. Guaranteed.
  • lovellm122
    Options

Right...

Except many people "eating clean" don't avoid saturated fat, they have concluded that it is healthy for us. And many people "eating clean" avoid wheat completely, they have concluded that it isn't healthy for us. And many people "eating clean" don't avoid chocolate provided that it is prepared in certain ways.

Fats are healthy, ie fish oil etc. saturated fats need to be kept within the macro target. whole grains are clean, unless research has once again changed
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Right...

You eliminate carbs too? That's a sugar.

I've never had a cheat meal... because I hit my micro and macronutrient goals and eat what I want... moderation works pretty well for a lot of people here on MFP.

True, I don't need pizza, I want it because it tastes good.

I don't think you're going to meet your goal any faster if you eat healthier because weight loss always boils down to CICO... not the micronutrient profiles of each food you eat - or is that not what you're saying?

Either way; the stuff you're preaching sounds miserable. How are you going to handle eating out with friends or family if you're offered a cheese cake?
  • lovellm122
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Right...

Are you seriously telling OP to just say "goodbye all of the foods i love and enjoy i will never eat you again ever in my lifetime". That's BS and not gonna be sustained long term. Guaranteed.

Not all calories are equal. Whats better for your heart, getting calories form tuna, broccoli, chicken, salad; or cake, pizza, and chocolate.....
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Right...

Fats are healthy, ie fish oil etc. saturated fats need to be kept within the macro target. whole grains are clean, unless research has once again changed

So when you said that people "eating clean' eliminated saturated fats "as much as possible," you meant keeping within the macro target? That doesn't seem the same thing at all. Are you using "as much as possible" in some new way?

And are you aware that many people who encourage "clean eating" recommend the elimination of wheat?

The point is that no two "clean eaters" seem to eat alike. Some of you claim saturated fats are clean, some say they are unclean. Same for wheat and dozens of others types of foods. It's a meaningless term.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Right...

Not all calories are equal. Whats better for your heart, getting calories form tuna, broccoli, chicken, salad; or cake, pizza, and chocolate.....

A calorie is a unit of measurement. 1 calorie = 1 calorie. Does 1 cm not equal 1 cm either?

What you mean to say is "different foods have different micronutrient profiles which can either benefit, or be detrimental to our health by being not being consumed regularly"?
  • lovellm122
    Options

Right...

I've never had a cheat meal... because I hit my micro and macronutrient goals and eat what I want... moderation works pretty well for a lot of people here on MFP.

I don't think you're going to meet your goal any faster if you eat healthier because weight loss always boils down to CICO... not the micronutrient profiles of each food you eat - or is that not what you're saying?

Either way; the stuff you're preaching sounds miserable. How are you going to handle eating out with friends or family if you're offered a cheese cake?

Wrong way round, sugar is a form of carb.

Miserable? seeing ya body change and transform is the best. why would saying no to cheese cake be hard? lol

• lovellm122
    Options

Right...

A calorie is a unit of measurement. 1 calorie = 1 calorie. Does 1 cm not equal 1 cm either?

What you mean to say is "different foods have different micronutrient profiles which can either benefit, or be detrimental to our health by being not being consumed regularly"?

You knew exactly what i was saying. i wasnt talking in a figure of 'Does 1 cm not equal 1 cm'.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Right...

Wrong way round, sugar is a form of carb.

Miserable? seeing ya body change and transform is the best. why would saying no to cheese cake be hard? lol

I saw my body change and transform without eliminating certain foods from my diet. You don't have to eliminate foods to lose weight. As long as you have a calorie deficit, you can still have pizza or cake.
  • lovellm122
    Options
    It's cool if ppl wanna eat what they want and meet their goals and they are happy with that. At the end of the day its about what makes you happy.