All goes well until the evening!

Options
I can do amazing through the day I do I work out every morning and eat well until it comes to about 8 then all I want to do is eat!! No matter what I do I can't help it. I'm getting married in April I'm currently 126 lbs and want to be 112 by April! Any suggestions??

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You say "no matter what you do," you still eat.

What have you tried? Are you sure that you're eating enough? Sometimes when we restrict too much, we get powerful urges to eat. What is your daily calorie goal? Are you saving enough calories for the evening?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal? Are you eating that or netting it? How tall are you?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try leaving a large amount of calories to eat in the evening. Eat lightly until dinner and then use up your calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Perhaps try leaving a large amount of calories to eat in the evening. Eat lightly until dinner and then use up your calories.

This^

I save something for later. I like popcorn. It gives be a decent sized portion for not too many calories. I can change up the spices so it doesn't get too boring.
  • hannahdunne123
    hannahdunne123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200 and I'm 5'5, I don't usually eat as much as that because if I do my weight just stays the same
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200 and I'm 5'5, I don't usually eat as much as that because if I do my weight just stays the same

What is your activity level? If your goal is 1,200 and you aren't even eating that, you are probably struggling with the urge to eat because you aren't eating enough. Did MFP set that goal for you?

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

That's most likely why you're eating every at night. You're already pretty small so you have to be extra diligent when it comes to calorie counting since you're deficit is probably small. If you're not using a food scale, start using one now. I'd also suggest some type of strength training. This thread might help you but it basically boils down to accuracy with your logging, consistency and patience.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1

• hannahdunne123
    Options
    I'm new to my fitness pal so I'm still really getting my head around it, I do a half an hour workout each morning and yes MFP did set that goal for me. I've tried saving my calories until tea but that still doesn't seem to help me

• hannahdunne123
    Options

That's most likely why you're eating every at night. You're already pretty small so you have to be extra diligent when it comes to calorie counting since you're deficit is probably small. If you're not using a food scale, start using one now. I'd also suggest some type of strength training. This thread might help you but it basically boils down to accuracy with your logging, consistency and patience.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1

Thank you x
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm significantly more hungry at night than I am in the morning- I chose not to eat in the AM- and I eat at night instead.

My last meal is about 15 min before bed- and usually is several hundred calories.

That works well for me- and for many other people- so bank more calories and see how it goes!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

It's very likely you are eating more than you think or you are actually losing. The vast majority of women can lose weight on 1200 (you don't appear to be a senior citizen). Medical issues can throw things off too.

Weight loss will be very slow when you have less than 15 pounds to lose (like 1/2 pound a week). How many weeks have you stayed the same? If you were holding water before a weigh-in (higher sodium meal, sore muscles, time of month)....then the weight you lost would not even show up.

Just an example: maintenance for a 5'5" 145 pound, sedentary, 20 year old would be 1,788 calories. So netting 1538 calories would be a 1/2 pound a week loss.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Leave more calories for the evening. I usually try to leave about half of my calories for the evening so I don't over eat (go over my calories). I am also 5'5 and have lost just fine eating above 1200 calories (with my activity as sedentary), you might want to look at eating a bit more so you aren't starving.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I'm new to my fitness pal so I'm still really getting my head around it, I do a half an hour workout each morning and yes MFP did set that goal for me. I've tried saving my calories until tea but that still doesn't seem to help me

Did you tell MFP you wanted to lose 2 pounds a week? For smaller people, this will result in a too-aggressive calorie goal because there is no safe way to create the deficit needed for that much weight loss.
  • mgoddard1527
    mgoddard1527 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm a big night time grazer. It's always been my down "me" time and I enjoyed snacking while relaxing. Big issue for me so what I do now to curtail the issue is eat my dinner, let it digest/settle for a little time then I head out for my evening walk. When I get back, I use my extra calories from the day for a small treat while watching late night shows, then it's bedtime. Seems to be working well for me.....no time to graze and the fact that I just exercised helps my mind to say "no, don't undo the good you just did".

Good luck.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Either eat less during the day to save up some calories for nighttime or break that night-eating habit.

You could also try doing more exercise to get you more calories. But you have to do a LOT of exercise to get 200 more calories.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Try upping your exercises to 60 min a day and save those cals for the evening.
    Start by eating back 75%, if that is stalling the scale drop to 50%.

Being light you may drop a pound a week to begin with, but speaking from experience, you will soon drop to .5 lb a week. That is just because you have to eat at least 1200 to stay healthy.

Ear as high a calorie intake as you can now, so you can drop it a little, if you need to, when you get closer to goal.

Cheers, h.
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ever try logging your days starting at a different time? Like from 7pm to 7am for example.

Or have you tried eating a bigger breakfast? That sometimes helps me with late night eating.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    This is a goofy thing I do, that actually stopped me from eating after dinner:
    I close out my MFP for the day as soon as I finish supper, and announce, Out Loud, "The kitchen is now closed!!"
    And then I don't go back into the kitchen until morning, period. ( I bring a big bottle of water out at dinner, so I can't use that, oops I need water as as excuse)
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast and have a very light lunch (like 300 cals) and then I save most of my calories for dinner. I love a big dinner and I am never really hungry in the morning anyway. it works great for me.