Chronic health issues and depression. Just need encouragement to get through the pain

Options
I have chronic health issues. More stable now, but need to get back into shape. Core gone, muscles gone.

I am eating healthy, but every time I exercise I'm in serious pain. Going very slow, but still haven't found the workout that doesn't make me hurt for days afterwards. Any others experience this and success ? I need to know it's possible to not be in pain all the time.

Replies

• Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    That is a little vague.Where are you hurting? Are you sore or in sharp pain? I would say to try aquatic exercises since they are less strain on joins if that is your problem.
  • Sunshiny45104
    Sunshiny45104 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hurt everywhere. Neck, back, shoulders, legs, hips. Will try water therapy once the kids aw back in school
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Swimming is the best low impact exercise other than that gentle walks to get started, if you have chronic pain those are the best no point being in agony taking it too far, you can build fitness up slowly and maybe spend some time in the pool and a lot of time in the jaccuzi and slowly build up to the other way around and/or short walks and slowly build to longer ones a few mins at a time.
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Im not sure what health problems you have, but I now I have several.... The best advice is to go slow, and listen to your body, and if possible, get help from a professional... I wanted to start with everything at once, but my doctor said for the first couple of months focus on the food, then start adding some workouts and so on... You can do this.

Some pain after a workout is expected at first, I know I wanted to die when I started, but that's why I got help. Now I can even lift...

• nicjbar73
    nicjbar73 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I also have chronic pain.ive found it best to do it when pain eases up throughout day.i had to start slow(10 mins) @ a time. in 8 weeks my health & fitness have improved. ive found the exercising has actually helped immensly. start slow & take 1step @ a time;)you can do this!!!!good luck & ur more than welcome to add me!!!
  • Sunshiny45104
    Options
    What exercise did you start 10 minutes per day?
  • Sunshiny45104
    Options
    Going to try walking for 10 minutes today. 3 minutes warm up 4 minutes more intense and 3 minutes cool down
  • counsel_jdmph
    counsel_jdmph Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Walking is great! I love water aerobics because the impact is cushioned but I can push myself hard when I'm able or just focus on being supported by the water in bad days. I recommend both the water exercise and the walking to get your body moving again.
  • chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat. I started out by just pushing a little at a time. It hurt, but only what I could tolerate. I have arthritis In low back, both knees, both ankles, neck, fibromyalgia, degenerative disc disease in neck and low back. I've had like 5 hernia repairs for the same hernia. I started out pushing myself to go camping in scouts with my son, I noticed the busier I was the better I felt, the more I moved, the better I felt. Last November, I got a phone that tracked my steps. I would challenge myself to walk more, even just like 100 more than the day before. That led to my bff and myself getting each other a tracker for Christmas. Last December, nothing going on, didn't want to just sit and gain weight, so in Jan I joined a local gym. But it wasn't that long ago, all I did was lay around and watch tv and sleep. It hurt to move so I didn't move. Once I moved around a little more I felt better, so kept going. I recently had knee surgery after going about 4 yrs with a torn cartilage, meniscus and other problems with my knee. Huge difference. Start with the dr, a good one will help you with the pain management, make sure you don't need anything fixed. If all you can do starting out is chair exercises, start there. Start slow and build. I've lost 55 lbs over the last 2 yrs with 22 of that since January. Maybe a class for seniors, usually a lot slower and more gentle. A personal trainer if you can afford it. Today, the weather has has everything all angry, I still went and did a short core workout. I'm not going to tell you it's easy, but it IS WORTH IT!!!!
  • chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Also, yes, water aerobics is awesome for pain issues. You can push or not, the water takes a lot of your weight, it's easier to move...... Would be a great starting point!!!
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Posters have made some awesome suggestions here but without knowing the cause of your pain making suggestions needs to come with the caveat that you have had a Doctors advice - if this is an acute event on top of your chronic issues then that needs special care in and of itself. I'll give myself as an example.....I have RSD and now Lupus these have caused me considerable issues with chronic pain and immobility....then last year I broke my back and found that I had osteoporosis.

All the exercise, stretching, weights etc had to take a back seat for the time it took to heal from the break. This new problem has made me face the fact that what worked for me before is no longer doable.

I was referred to a physio. with limited success. Then I was invited to take up the services of an exercise physiologist..... they have SO much more knowledge about the body and the interactions with exercise and good form, it has transformed my routine and my outlook on life, if you can access this service I would strongly recommend you do so.

No exercise should cause you pain.....if it does past mild soreness then you are either pushing yourself to far, your form is off or the exercise itself is the problem and may just need changing. As chronic illnesses progress and we age it is true that what we were able to do before may not be possible later on but all is not lost; you just need to find the right activity for you. Yes it sucks to be at a good level of fitness and core strength and lose it, but it is all within your reach to get it back - even surpass your previous best.

I couldn't agree more with @chey about water therapy there is such freedom and less chance of doing yourself further injury...also agree that just getting out there and doing something that you find enjoyable and repeatable is great not only physically but mentally as well. Increase you time doing this every few days or each week and soon enough the 10 mins will be 20 and so on.

All the best and I hope I have helped.

• cynlyn2010
    cynlyn2010 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have Fibromayalgia, Lupus, and R.A. The best thing I ever did for myself was adopt a ketogenic diet. Low carb, moderate protein, high fat. My pain levels have decreased at least 85%. The icing on the cake has been a 69 lb weight loss in the last 7 months. I have TONS more energy. Exercise still causes some pain but nothing close to what I lived with on a daily basis before keto.
    I'm not sure what your health issues are but try researching ketosis and see if it's recommended for your issues. Just a suggestion.
    Good luck. I hope you find a way to ease your pain soon.
  • Silmiriel
    Silmiriel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That is such great news! I also have fibromyalgia and chronic pain issues, along with obesity. I have been attempting a ketogenic diet for the last two weeks, and have lost 12 pounds so far, but am still uncertain as to the number of calories I should be eating as well as the best macro breakdown of fat/protein/carbs to achieve the best results. I will say that I have seen some reduction in pain as well as feeling very calm and relaxed.

Can you please tell me what you're doing that is working for you on your ketogenic diet? Do you worry about counting calories or just follow certain percentages?

Congratulations on your success so far - very exciting!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    For starting slow, I wouldn't even worry about warm up and cool down for a gentle walk. Just go outside, walk in a direction for 5 minutes, turn and walk back. Don't push yourself right now, do what you can and go at a pace that you can keep without trouble. It's not much, but anything is better than nothing, and it will get you started. Once you get started, you can escalate at a pace that works best for you. Water walking and water aerobics are also good ideas as they're very low impact so shouldn't aggravate your back and neck. You don't have to be in a class for them either, just go to the local pool, wade in until you're in chest-high water, and walk back and forth slowly.
  • sandcat78
    sandcat78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have fibromyalgia and Lupus! I've struggled with it and my life for five years now. It's wrecking. Be strong
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i accept the pain. pain is part of my life. water work is great. start with short walks is good too.
    I started yoga. I find restorative yoga is achievable most days.