Back from injury!!

Options
Long story short, had a bad dirt bike crash 6 weeks ago and bruised up my ribs and back really bad. Started back into weights, pushups, and situps yesterdayt. Felt great except I'm used to doing 5 sets of 100 on the pushups and could only do 5 sets of 50 and felt like I was dying!! Never realized how much strength you can lose in a 6 week time period.

Any of you guys ever have this happen?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    No... but I'm about to lol.

Back injury, can't lift for a while... a month at minimum :'(
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    ericb14 wrote: »
    Long story short, had a bad dirt bike crash 6 weeks ago and bruised up my ribs and back really bad. Started back into weights, pushups, and situps yesterdayt. Felt great except I'm used to doing 5 sets of 100 on the pushups and could only do 5 sets of 50 and felt like I was dying!! Never realized how much strength you can lose in a 6 week time period.

Yeah, it's *kitten* when it happens for sure. De-training happens approximately week 3 of no training, so six weeks can be significant depending on the individual. One thing I've observed just in discussions with other people that have taken time off from the gym for various reasons; their diet changes too. You definitely need to eat a little less to balance the reduced energy expenditure, but protein and good food choices seem to go out the window as well. An injury like yours is even worse because I'd imagine you spent a lot of time on your butt (understandably). Bruised ribs and a back at the same time makes for difficult movement and breathing, so even walking up stairs can be hard. Ease back into your routine and you'll make-up for it soon enough.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I was out for nearly 4 months with an elbow and bicep tendon injury. It's a long road back and mentally sucks! You just got to go slow and trust the process.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yep it sucks! Best advice I can give is go slowly! I tried to rush the process after surgery and ended up setting myself back even further. :( take your time, it will come back!
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    No... but I'm about to lol.

Back injury, can't lift for a while... a month at minimum :'(
    T

Hate to hear that!!! Hope you get better soon so you can get back at it!!

• RacerX_14
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    ericb14 wrote: »

Yeah, it's *kitten* when it happens for sure. De-training happens approximately week 3 of no training, so six weeks can be significant depending on the individual. One thing I've observed just in discussions with other people that have taken time off from the gym for various reasons; their diet changes too. You definitely need to eat a little less to balance the reduced energy expenditure, but protein and good food choices seem to go out the window as well. An injury like yours is even worse because I'd imagine you spent a lot of time on your butt (understandably). Bruised ribs and a back at the same time makes for difficult movement and breathing, so even walking up stairs can be hard. Ease back into your routine and you'll make-up for it soon enough.

Your exactly right!! I've been eating less to keep from gaining around the waist line. Don't want to waste all of my hard work!! Well said'
  • RacerX_14
    Options
    I was out for nearly 4 months with an elbow and bicep tendon injury. It's a long road back and mentally sucks! You just got to go slow and trust the process.

Agreed! Glad your back at it!!
  • RacerX_14
    Options
    bkerr30 wrote: »
    Yep it sucks! Best advice I can give is go slowly! I tried to rush the process after surgery and ended up setting myself back even further. :( take your time, it will come back!

Thanks for the advice!!! I'm trying to be patient. It's hard because I've been making significant gains!