Teach me how to lose without exercising...

Options
Tell me how to lose weight without exercising.... In the past I only had success combining the two. Now my treadmill is broken and I have yet to get a new machine. I am also post partum and overwhelms so figured best to ram a step back from exercising until things settle down...
Advice?

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Eat less than you burn throughout the day. That's all it takes.
  • ds6099
    ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Easier said than done! Exercising keeps me in check. That's the advice I need- HOW to be careful without it!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The good thing about MFP is your goal is given to you without exercise factored in. Eat that amount and you'll lose!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    techgal128 wrote: »

thats the only way
    do you expect magic?

Weigh all your food on a food scale...start logging all your food eat less than you burn and walla weight loss.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Weighing food is key. When you can't burn extra by working out, you have to make certain you know as exactly as possible how many calories you are taking in, because that "buffer" that exercise provides isn't there.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    unless your doing hours of heavy cardio you really are not burning that many calories much from exercise. The biggest percentage is from eating less and/or figuring out how to eat in a way to be full without eating over a certain number of calories a day.
  • Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I tried to lose weight too soon after having a baby and really discouraged myself. You should give yourself lots of time to heal.
    I did this with my baby for awhile and it was pretty fun. He loved it.
    http://www.babble.com/baby/workout-mom-exercises-with-baby-weight-loss/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other re; the food scale.

If it helps, I lost the majority of my weight with zero exercise. 24lbs in 4mths. I was pathetically sedentary, averaging around 2000-2500 steps a day.

I've only started exercising in the last 6mths, which is plain and simple walking. I got a fitbit which motivated me, and exercising allows me to eat more. But to lose weight exercise is not a prerequisite.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    techgal128 wrote: »

thats the only way
    do you expect magic?

Weigh all your food on a food scale...start logging all your food eat less than you burn and walla weight loss.

I personally don't weigh my food and have lost weight fine. However, I understand that a lot of people may need to so it's always encouraged.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    ds6099 wrote: »
    Easier said than done! Exercising keeps me in check. That's the advice I need- HOW to be careful without it!
    The only parameter that can be controlled when you can't exercise is calorie intake. Carefully weigh and measure everything, record everything in your food diary, and take note of foods that are more satisfying and keep you full. You don't have as many calories to waste on "treat" foods so choose them judiciously.
  • ds6099
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    The only parameter that can be controlled when you can't exercise is calorie intake. Carefully weigh and measure everything, record everything in your food diary, and take note of foods that are more satisfying and keep you full. You don't have as many calories to waste on "treat" foods so choose them judiciously.

Good advice! I've been losing fine without weighing my food cuz I had that buffer. Gonna be super careful now!
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    How about walking with the baby in a stroller? Even a short walk will give you some fresh air and change of scenery.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Tell me how to lose weight without exercising.... In the past I only had success combining the two. Now my treadmill is broken and I have yet to get a new machine. I am also post partum and overwhelms so figured best to ram a step back from exercising until things settle down...
    Advice?

It's a lot easier if you eat foods with less calories per volume. Your body tells you "I'm full" based on the *volume* of food you eat, not the number of calories. Fruits, veggies, soups, high-fiber things all have few calories per volume. Look into Volumetrics.

Also, certain kinds of foods will keep you satiated for longer than others. Fiber, water, and protein will keep you feeling fuller for longer. Fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans, lean meats. Fat, sugar, and starch will make you feel hungry faster. Fast food, fried food, sweets, refined grains, juice, potatoes. http://nutritiondata.self.com/ rates foods by a "fullness factor".

Since you're post-partum, it's best to take weight loss slowly to give your body a chance to recover, especially if you're breastfeeding. Losing weight isn't recommended for the first 2 months for this reason.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    It would be my pleasure to help you. And its a not a question of easier said than done. It's actually easier to lose weight without exercise becuase then you don't have to push yourself to exercise when you don't feel like it or if you have a busy day.

That said, just try to take opportunities through your normal day to take the more active choice.

So how do you lose weight without formal exercise. Eat more healthy, cut your calories only minimally and accept losing weight more slowly. Unless you have a ton of weight to lose.

Anyway this is the process i have been using since 2014. I now do some exericse daily a) because i have a dog and b) i want to do it for my health. All i do is a fast walk on the beach for about 30 minutes. But I am already at my healthy weight and i know i am eating all my calories back from exercise so i'm not doing it to lose weight.

I began in 2014 with 80kg and lost so easily by just eating healthy adn cutting calories minimally. I am in maintenance now and have been for about 8 months.

Note if you have recently been doing a lot of exercise and now not doing anything, you may find your appetite exceeds your daily burn. This is because of all your muscle mass and faster metabolism. It make take a few weeks to settle down. Don't panic. Stick to a good diet. Eat at meal times and don't snack.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    hac125 wrote: »
    How about walking with the baby in a stroller? Even a short walk will give you some fresh air and change of scenery.

+ 1

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was going to say an outdoors walk can help a lot with the postpartum blues, too.

I lost my first twenty pounds on diet alone.
  • ds6099
    Options
    I'm not breastfeeding and 5 months pp already.
    For the next couple of months I'll focus on eating right until things settle down. That will be hard!
  • Pinesgurl
    Pinesgurl Posts: 39 Member
    Options

If it helps, I lost the majority of my weight with zero exercise. 24lbs in 4mths. I was pathetically sedentary, averaging around 2000-2500 steps a day.

I've only started exercising in the last 6mths, which is plain and simple walking. I got a fitbit which motivated me, and exercising allows me to eat more. But to lose weight exercise is not a prerequisite.

I love what you have to say! :-) I'm disabled so try to do small hand weights and a resistance band from a chair. I'm losing excruciatingly slow. I do not add in exercise calories now.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    > Easier said than done!

That's true of everything.

Nothing worth doing is ever easy.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mlokie wrote: »

I love what you have to say! :-) I'm disabled so try to do small hand weights and a resistance band from a chair. I'm losing excruciatingly slow. I do not add in exercise calories now.

@mlokie rest assured it is totally possible. I work from home, and I when I lost that weight I was pottering around at home and doing nothing else but watching my calories. I was constantly worried about not exercising, as I was always led to believe that you must exercise to lose weight. Obviously this is not true.

You can do this!! :heart: