Tips on making time to exercise with full time job and kids?

Options

Replies

• pandapotlovebug
    pandapotlovebug Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    LULU4178 wrote: »
    I've already chimed in but I thought of something else. Can you walk at lunch time? Can you take breaks at work? There are plenty of "office mini workouts" on YouTube. Exercise can be in short burts. How about changing into workout clothes before you drive home so that you remind yourself that you will be exercising later? That always helps me. Just start with one day. Yeah you may be tired or your feet hurt, but you will more than likely feel better after you exercised.

What really got me serious was thatI was in a bad car accident three and a half years ago. I went to many doctors, each at least half an hour away from my home, at least 3-4 times per week after work. That had to happen so I would recover--so it happened. Once I was well enough to start walking, I did so that I could continue getting better. Not going to stop now!

You can do it!
    Oh I walk a half mile from my parking lot to work and back everyday.
  • pandapotlovebug
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    Just start setting your alarm and do it. Write yourself out a detailed schedule if you have to, account for all your time. My biggest struggle was time management and getting distracted too easily. Now it's clockwork, and habit. FWIW, I have four kids (12, 9, 2, 1) so two that aren't in school. I work 35 hours a week, and have a full school load working on my second BA. My husband works about 80-100 hours a week. I do a lot of meal prep so that dinner is a snap and breakfast/lunch are quick. I get plenty of sleep, yup even with a one year old. I got serious about sleep training her early. I'm up at 430 every day and have about two hours to workout, then I have my coffee and email time, then the kids wake up.
    Omg you ARE busy!
  • emmab3ar
    emmab3ar Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Wake up early and aim to go to bed early
  • MichelleCarpenter74
    Options
    I work full time, 40 years old, mother of 3 and going back to school. I need help with accountability... someone to question me if I have done that walk... if I have made good decisions regarding food, ect.

I also feel guilty about wanting to take a long walk at night because I feel like I take away from the kids. Its hard to take all 3 without a fighting situation (stop touching me.. lol)!! HELP

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    just do it, depends on how bad you want it, I start at 4am.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I bet the 15y/o reeeeally doesn't want to spend time with mom lol. But I bet the 10y/o does. ;) Perhaps do outside stuff the 10y/o likes best. I think if I worked 7am to 7pm every day, I would just cut back in the kitchen and concentrate sports activities on the weekends. It makes me tired just reading about your schedule.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Everyone has great ideas. When you have kids, it is a good life lesson to include them someway. I found an inside community pool that also has a water slide. I take my son with me twice a week. He does about20 minutes of laps with me then he hits the water slide for about an hour while I work on my laps. He loves it and is dressed, ready to go on our swim days, We also bike to the grocery store for fill in items during the week (long way through the neighborhood there and take the short route home with our goodies). When there is a will, you just have to find a way. Good luck !!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I just stay up late and rock out once the kids are in bed. I've been know to go jogging at 11pm because that's what time I finished bedtimestomorrowluncheskitchencleaninglaundryfoldedhousestraightened...

youforgotbuildingapeepcleanseempire

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I didn't read everything, but I will say this. You are the example for your kids. If you are active they will stay active. Make exercise fun, include them or find ways to fit it in.

• hzm920
    hzm920 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Play Frisbee or soccer with the kids or go swimming with them. The best thing is to incorporate your workout into your daily schedule. Think how much you'll motivate your kids by staying active around them. You could also run during lunch and sign up for a race (5k or 10k) to stay motivated.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten good suggestions so I don't have much to add. My kids are younger, so maybe a bit needier than yours, but both my husband and I agree that making time for ourselves for exercise, or nights out (with each other or with friends), or quiet time at the house, helps keep us sane and makes us ultimately better parents in the long run. Sometimes when I am stressed and crabby my husband will say, "why don't you just go work out already, you know that will make you feel so much better" and it does, and then I'm much more pleasant to all of them LOL.

So anyway - even though it was a hard habit to build, I started getting up at 5:30 to work out in the mornings before taking the kids to school, going to work from about 8:30-5:30, and then picking them up, running errands or taking them to activities, coming home to make dinner, do homework, clean up, etc. I used to wait till the evenings to do it and it was always the easiest thing to just skip doing, so I made myself start getting up early, and now when I don't work out in the mornings I feel twitchy for the rest of the day.

I also: park in the back of the parking lot at work, walk on my lunch break, pace up and down the field if the kids have soccer practice or t-ball, and have been known to just do laps in the basement if I haven't gotten in enough steps in the day. Other than when I am sitting down to eat a meal, sitting at my desk at work, or driving to work, I don't sit down until the very end of the day after everything is all done, and I'm ready for a glass of wine before bed.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I just stay up late and rock out once the kids are in bed. I've been know to go jogging at 11pm because that's what time I finished bedtimestomorrowluncheskitchencleaninglaundryfoldedhousestraightened...

youforgotbuildingapeepcleanseempire

That never stops, no matter what else I'm doing.
  • Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    1. Get them do d an exercise video with you.
    2. Get short at home DVDs. I started with the 30 day shred, then moved on to Insanity Max 30.
    3. Choose a program you enjoy and everytime you watch it, exercise in front of it.

I've done a,l of these, sometimes one works better than the other. The older they get, the easier it gets.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I get up early to work out....it soon becomes a habit, I've been getting up around 6am for 3 yrs now...
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Lunch break, super early in the AM, or late night when they're sleeping. Do what works for you - do you want a machine in the house? Would you prefer to run in the park, weather permitting? I liked exercise dvds when I had little kids since going to classes wasn't always an option.
  • FlippyW
    FlippyW Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Kids are 10 and 15. I leave at 7 and get home around 7. Need motivation to do at least something every other day. It's hard when I have so many excuses like my feet hurt or I feel guilty for taking the time away from the kids or the chores.

I can really relate, I've got 2 kids who are 9 and 10 and I work full time, I always felt like I was making excuses.
    There's some great suggestions on here. I've been back on here for 3 1/2 weeks and have started slow with walking with the kids and dog and got up early this morning to do a fitness video. My plan is to start slowly and build it up as I am more likely to carry on doing it that way. It's more about changing my life rather than a quick fix.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have the same challenge. I work FT and I'm a FT grad student. Usually I work at 7a. Right away after work, I'm doing class work. It's an online class, so we don't physically attend... instead we have a lot of reading, research, and writing. I'll do that until 10p-11p (depending on how much I have to do that night).

I have a membership to a 24 hour gym where I can go with an access card. This is the closest such place since I live in a rural area, but I drive 1 hr. round trip in good weather. But I find the same challenge with being able to get to the gym. If I'm going to work out for close to 1 hr., I need 2 hrs. to do that (1 hr. driving + 1 hr. workout). If I get my class work done around 10pm and then go to the gym, I won't be home until 12am. I don't do this because I'll just be exhausted.

So I don't have any ideas for you except to join a 24 hr. gym.
  • pandapotlovebug
    Options
    I have the same challenge. I work FT and I'm a FT grad student. Usually I work at 7a. Right away after work, I'm doing class work. It's an online class, so we don't physically attend... instead we have a lot of reading, research, and writing. I'll do that until 10p-11p (depending on how much I have to do that night).

I have a membership to a 24 hour gym where I can go with an access card. This is the closest such place since I live in a rural area, but I drive 1 hr. round trip in good weather. But I find the same challenge with being able to get to the gym. If I'm going to work out for close to 1 hr., I need 2 hrs. to do that (1 hr. driving + 1 hr. workout). If I get my class work done around 10pm and then go to the gym, I won't be home until 12am. I don't do this because I'll just be exhausted.

So I don't have any ideas for you except to join a 24 hr. gym.

U would never commute an hour! I am finding ways to work out at home. Doing hiit videos and I have a treadmill.

My worst problem is making it happen when I am tired because the day is full and I'd rather sleep or relax. I've been getting better at making myself do it after the kids go to bed. The scale is my motivation. Once I see the weight coming off after reducing my calories, I want to keep going!

Just hope I keep going...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    LULU4178 wrote: »
    I've already chimed in but I thought of something else. Can you walk at lunch time? Can you take breaks at work? There are plenty of "office mini workouts" on YouTube. Exercise can be in short burts. How about changing into workout clothes before you drive home so that you remind yourself that you will be exercising later? That always helps me. Just start with one day. Yeah you may be tired or your feet hurt, but you will more than likely feel better after you exercised.

What really got me serious was thatI was in a bad car accident three and a half years ago. I went to many doctors, each at least half an hour away from my home, at least 3-4 times per week after work. That had to happen so I would recover--so it happened. Once I was well enough to start walking, I did so that I could continue getting better. Not going to stop now!

You can do it!

I've been in a similar situation. When you lose your ability to exercise because of injury, you basically didn't know what you had until it was gone. I was thinking to myself if I was more fit this would be easier. I was thinking, I wish I could work out right now but I can't, so as soon as I'm better, I shouldn't have any excuses. I went through this twice. But both times I lose that motivation after recovering.

I guess I'm just trying to find a way to eliminate all excuses and make at least a good 30 minutes happen every other day.

Getting up early is hard! I have to make more time for shower and hair drying.
    I find I have more time in the evening, but less energy.
    Is a 7 minute HIIT really enough to make changes?

there's no magic wand for that...you just stop making excuses. you commit and you do...eventually it becomes habit...eventually, you'll get to the point where you miss a workout and you feel a little off, like something is missing.

I hate missing a ride...
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Take them to the park and run with them. Win win.
    I try this on most Saturdays with the youngest and a dog!
    lalahunt wrote: »
    Workout videos at home?
    I have a treadmill and do some circuit or hiit. But it's hard to get up early enough to have enough time in the morning and after kids go to bed I'm mostly too tired!
    I'd love to do it in the morning. I have more energy then. If only if get to bed early enough. ....
    Just need to eliminate excuses and get motivated. Need to find a way tomake it a habit.

I find that it happens much more often if it happens first thing in the morning. Your kids are old enough to get themselves ready in the morning (mine are 11 & 12 and can mostly get themselves ready). It's worked for me to get up an hour earlier than I need to and workout before they wake up. Then, I can shower before waking them up to get themselves ready while I get myself ready (I do lunches the night before). Yes, it's hard to drag yourself out of bed earlier, but it gets easier over time. Like Nike says "Just do it". lol As for getting to bed early enough, that generally comes after you've been getting up earlier for a while, you'll be tired earlier too. Good luck!