No, you probably didn't gain weight...

Options
Now I posted this in my blog but I wanted to post it here too... I think lots of people follow these scenario's and I just wanted to help shed some light. While it isn't a medical report, and It may not be one hundred percent fact, I think most people find that they can relate to this.
So I see lots of people posting on the forums about how they worked out really hard and noticed that the scale went up in weight -/+ 2-5 pounds. I also see people freak about gaining weight during that "Time of the Month" Another common one is if they gained weight from eating a high sodium meal or had a bad weekend food wise.

I want to put an end to this fear, this worry, this anxiety of gaining weight. What we all really mean by gaining weight is that we gained FAT. This is certainly not the case.

THE MATH: It takes 3500 calories to lose a pound. It takes the same amount to gain a pound. Here is an example of what I mean.

Suzy a young vibrant 30 year old decides that she needs to lose a few pounds. Two kids has really done a number on her. A good friend suggested MFP to her. So she sets up her profile. Enters all her statistics; weight, age, activity level, loss per week., and MFP calculates her MAINTAINENCE calories at 1800. Meaning, If she were to eat 1800 calories she would neither gain weight or lose weight she would MAINTAIN. So to get that 1 pound per week loss MFP subtracts 500 calories from her MAINTAINENCE calories. making her daily caloric intake 1300 calories.

1800-500=1300 calories per day eaten

She will sucessfully lose weight (based on mathmatics alone) because she is eating 3500 calories less per week than her maintainence calories

-500 x7=-3500 calories deficit per week which equals 1 pound.

Suzy is all excited about this. She does really good the first two week and successfully loses 2 pounds. But on the weekend of her third week, her family threw a bbq and she just couldn't help her self, the yummy grilled bbq chicken and potato chips were just too much to handle so she indulges (can you blame her?). She already ate 1200 of her daily calories allotted for that day, so she knew that eating this 700 calorie meal was going to put her over her calories. YIKES! But still she indulges. The next day Suzy steps on the scale and notices that yesterdays weight of 180 pounds has now spiked up to 181 pounds!

Could she really have gained a whole pound from that one bad meal?? The answer is NO. No she did not. This is why.

In order for her to gain one pound she would have had to eat 3500 calories OVER her maintainence. Well did Suzy eat 3500 calories over her maintainence of 1800 calories? Lets see.

3500 calories over her maintainence would equal 5300 calories

3500 + 1800 =5300 calories; What she really ate was

1200 + 700 = 1900 calories: This is NO WHERE NEAR 5300 calories needed to gain that one pound.

So what made her scale raise that one pound? Chances are it was the sodium in the chips, the sugar and sodium in the BBQ sauce, if she had a pop there is sugar and sodium in that as well. Ingesting large amounts of sugar and sodium are sure fire ways to make your body retain water.

Another example of the weight gaining scenario is Jon for example. He decided he needed a really hard work out this week, so Monday he went to the gym, and pushed himself harder than he ever has before. He sweat buckets, beat his time running, and lifted an extra 10 pounds than usual. The next morning he gets on the scale and sees that yesterdays weight of 205 pounds now shows a gain of 2 pounds! YIKES! He ate his allotted 2000 calories maybe 100-200 more (his wifes cooking is just too good sometimes). WHAT HAPPENED!?

Well we know from suzies example that those extra 200 calories aren't the cause of his gain so what is it? The answer is simply water, when you stress your muscles to a point of exhaustion, or if your a body builder a point of tearing them, your muscles will naturally retain that water to help repair them. The more muscles you damage or work out, the more water your body will retain. (DO NOT MISTAKE THIS GAIN AS MUSCLE GAIN. It is practically impossible to gain muscle that quickly. It takes MONTHS to gain that kind of muscle). Lucky for Jon the extra 2 pounds of water retention will be gone in a few days when his muscles recover a little bit.

So to my reader (if there be any) Unless you ingest 3500 calories over your Maintainence calories, you did not gain a pound of fat. Unless you have been working out for months hitting the weight very hard, you did not gain muscle. Working out does not make you gain [fat] weight, and having one cheat meal if you are watching your weekly calories will not make you gain [fat] weight. Chance are its either water retention weight, or sodium/sugar water retention weight. This works the same for those ladies who gain weight during TOM, all it is, is water weight. So please quit stress, quit feeling the anxiety of the scale. in a couple days it will be back to normal. Just drink lots of water and give the scale a rest. All is well!

** But do remember, eating over your Maintainence will make you gain weight, Working out will result in building of muscle it is just a lot slower than we all would like to think.

I hope this sheds some light. and as always please comment and vote!

--Kayla

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    well said. I think MFP should publish a book for folks to read that gives this info off the bat.
  • SaLandrum
    SaLandrum Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Kayla ... Thanks for posting.
  • Ngabay
    Ngabay Posts: 3
    Options
    this makes A LOT of sense!!! thanks for posting!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Kimmerroze & Bethrs

You both make a good point. Some of the topics in the forums would be best put into a wiki for people to access instead of having the discussion over and over and over again...
  • GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    well said
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Great post. I wish more people would stop and think logically before freaking out over weight fluctuations like this.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for taking the time to post this! It should be flagged as a "must read"!
  • amandakay23
    amandakay23 Posts: 156
    Options
    Agreed, and I am sure I am the number one labeled 'denial queen' because I am always ranting about the damn water weight...
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Excellent information, thank you.
  • myshell67
    myshell67 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    very well put! thanks for the post.
  • ceirawillsucceed
    ceirawillsucceed Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    great post. thanks for posting.
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think many MFPers automatically think they gain weight after a bad eating day. I even do, at times. Thanks for posting!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    very refreshing!
  • frenchielover
    Options
    AMEN
  • carina_75
    carina_75 Posts: 88
    Options
    well said, in laymans terms!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Everyone joins at different times or views at different times. If the same questions are posted over and over again you have to respect the poster and let them get their answers. We are all on here for the same reason.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! Thank you!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Absolutely true. I worked this out by doing the maths when I had a bad day and appeared to have gained 3 (freaking) lbs in a day. It was a bad day (I maybe ate 2000 cals and should have eaten 1200) but it wasn't 3lbs worth of bad. I thought about what I'd eaten and worked out that it was pretty sodium and sugar laden (it was Easter Sunday - oops!). On the basis that I hadn't eaten an EXTRA 10,500 lbs (and therefore hadn't eaten 11,700cals in a day) I knew it must be water weight. I decided not to worry and, sure enough, by the next weekend, the phantom 3lbs had gone, along with 2 more! It is difficult not to think that your body is punishing you for having a bad day but I'm not going to let it knock me off track and the maths definitely helps - so, after all that - thanks Kayla - if I have another bad day (which, as I'm human, is bound to happen at some point!) I'll re-read your post to keep me smiling!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Everyone joins at different times or views at different times. If the same questions are posted over and over again you have to respect the poster and let them get their answers. We are all on here for the same reason.

Which is why I wanted to post this. My intentensions are not mean or harsh in anyway. I think this is a hard concept to jot down quickly in a quick post answer to people asking the question so I wanted to write it out in lamens terms and long form so that everyone could understand the math behind it.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!!!!! I needed to see it written out like that!!!