stronglifts 5x5 advice on starting

Options
I have been reading up on stronglifts recently and I am interested in starting the program. I am quite comfortable with free weights as well as the excersizes involvled, but the catch is my size. I am female, 123lbs and 5'1". Everything I have read currently is directed to men and I'm not entirely comfortable with even the starting weights for things (mainly chest press). My question is, is there a lower starting point that accounts for an Olympic bar, or do I just start with lighter barbells? I appreciate the input, and successes others have had (especially women) :)

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Sure you can. Start up with dumbbells, or lighter bars. Usually standard bars (one inch bar) are a lot lighter.
    Had a lady at work start up lifting. Wasn't SL (her friend is a conditioning coach) but had all the basic lifts and she started with dumbbells. Don't think it took her more than 6 or 7 weeks to transition to a standard oly bar (45lbs).
    Saw her last week and she had 95lbs on doing squats (about 2 months in). Form was dead on too!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yep, use a lighter bar or dumbbells.

Also, I recommend getting fractional plates, for bench and OHP especially. That way you can progress at 2.5 lbs instead of 5 if you need to. I ran SL for 25 weeks and found them to be invaluable.

On my phone so I kept this short.
    Happy lifting :)
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I started with dumbbells and progressed to using a barbell. I am about the same size as you, though I really don't think being small matters, it's more about starting with what you are able to lift with good form. You could also use a lighter barbell as you mentioned.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You can also try body bars (if you can find them or they have them at your gym). They are usually padded bars that come in 9 - 25 lbs sizes so you can work your way up.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice and support. This is a challenge I am excited about starting, it may just mean I take a bit longer to get there ;)
    @kami3006, fractional plates are a good tip, thank you!
  • bkerr30
    Options
    @sun_fish what weights did you start with, if you don't mind my asking?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There is a section in the Stronglifts program that addresses for woman

Does Stronglifts work for woman?
    "Yes. My girlfriend does it. And she does the same exercises, sets and reps as I do. The only differences: The empty bar can be too heavy. I had my girlfriend do goblet Squats with a kettlebell, kb Deadlifts and db bench/presses. Now she Squats 50kg for 5×5 (her body-weight). You’ll need fractional plates. Adding 2.5kg/5lb each workout is too much on the Bench and Overhead Press. This is because women tend to have less muscle in their upper-body than men. My girlfriend used increments of 1kg/2lb from the start on Bench/Press.
    Read more: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Does_StrongLifts_52155_work_for_women"
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I started with the women's bar (about 35lbs). It has a smaller grip too. I also ordered some cheap 1.1lb washers (they can rust so add a coat of paint) to use as fractionals.

I'll add a few reps at a lighter weight during the weeks I'm not too consistent with the program or when I begin to stall.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I am the same height, 20 lb lighter, and older.
    During the winter months I do a hand weight version, using the Oly bar just for dead lifts. I like the form the bar gives over kettle or hand weights.
    I had never thought to use the padded body bars, thanks for that griffinca2, they would probably be perfect for me.

I don't progress far or fast, at my age I am more interested in functional strength, mobility and having fun.

Cheers, h.

• lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and started with adjustable dumbbells (up to 2x20lbs). After 2 weeks, I bartered for another set so I could combine them for 2x40lbs. It wasn't long before this wasn't enough for my legs and now I use an Olympic bar. I think you'll be surprised how fast we can progress with weights!

I had a problem with chest presses in the beginning as well. With heavier dumbbells, it was really hard for me to get them into position, even though the press itself wasn't that hard. The dumbbells were also harder to grip. Once, I started pressing the barbell from the rack, I found myself progressing much more easily. So, if you have access to a standard bar (1"), that might be the better option.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    bkerr30 wrote: »
    @sun_fish what weights did you start with, if you don't mind my asking?

I don't know if it matters, but I should clarify that I didn't do SL, I did AllPro's. It progresses in reps for 5 weeks (8-12 range) then adding weight for another 5 week cycle. Still free weights and the same exercises. I liked doing the higher rep range, because I struggled with form, and that allowed for more practice. I was also 51 with lots of prior knee and shoulder issues when I started lifting.

I started with bodyweight squats, 5# dumbbells upper body stuff, and a 20# barbell for deadlifts.

Once I progressed to using a barbell with plates, I bought a 35# women's olympic bar (I like the women's bar because it has a smaller diameter so easier with my small hands).
  • bkerr30
    Options
    All of this is very helpful, thank you! I'm excited to get started :)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#91081a046/=xjattp

I'm in SoCal so shipping was fast and cheap. I bought four.

Two of them (after paint) weigh a little over 1.2 lbs.