Healthy Dessert, anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you like almonds, this is an easy recipe for "cookies" that is definetely healthy. These are not supposed to taste or look like the usual cookies, it is an old traditional greek recipe. They are bite sized and are perfect after dinner or with a cup of coffee, to give you this sweet taste when you crave it.
    half a kilo almonds (whitened)
    300 gram confectionner's sugar
    a few drops almond extract plus vanila or a few tablespoons rosewater if you can find it

Process the almonds in a food processor until they look like sand.
    Mix them together with the sugar, add the flavourings.
    Start working with the dough, adding water very little at a time, until you get a mixture you can work with - i.e. shape it.
    Alternatively, you can start with a syrup of 300 grams sugar and 1/2 cup water and add this to the almonds.
    Sprinkle a working surface with sugar, and form the dough into balls or tiny pears. These should be bite sized.
    Sprinkle some more sugar on top and then let them stand for a few hours, so they start drying out.

You can also make them with pistachios instead of almonds. In which case you can dip them in melted dark chocolate instead of dusting them with sugar.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Banana chocolate ice cream tastes amazing, and you are practically eating just fruit: Slice and freeze a few bananas, put them in your food processor or a blender that can crash ice, add cocoa to taste and a bit of sugar or honey if you want to, and you get instand healthy ice cream.
  • whit3m0nk3y
    whit3m0nk3y Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the banana ice cream substitute. I have found throwing in a scoop of protein powder helps with the consistency, and fools the tongue. I also have been experimenting with what fruits and nuts work well with the recipe. Pureed mangoes are pretty awesome.
  • ekbec
    ekbec Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use books like calorie counting ones, there's one I use called without the calories and it counts the calories in each meal for you there are also a lot if other books that tell you how much fat is in each recipe, how many calories etc etc. These books also do deserts, I'd definitely recommend them, they're great for when you're stuck for meals to cook or deserts but want to stay healthy :blush:
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    That almond recipe looks like marzipan - which while yummy is nothing like a cookie!

I put 3/4C still-frozen Dole Cherry Berry Blend (sweet cherries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries) in a bowl, and top it with a 4oz serving of Kozy Shack rice pudding. Let it sit for a minute or so, so the fruit thaws a bit and the rice pudding freezes a bit.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I like the Greek tiramisu flavor yogurt mixed with an ounce of whipped cream and 10g of chocolate syrup. I feel like I'm eating pie without a crust. It's under 200 calories.
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered a saffron and honey mousse.

For two portions use one egg white and put 15 strands of saffron in, after half an hour put the egg white through a sieve to get out the saffron strands and whisk until you get soft peaks. Mix together 140g of greek yoghurt with 20g of honey then fold in the egg whites, split between two vessels and top with crushed pistachios or nut of your choosing!

117 calories, 8g protein :)

YUM!!
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Super simple:
    12 ounces Almond Milk (very low cal), 1 frozen, very ripe banana, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 3 ice cubes, blend on high. Really filling and big. You can add other fruit, or even unsweetened cocoa powder. I choose not to add additional sweeteners.
  • gerriburn
    gerriburn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to try all the recipes shared here. Thank you so much!
  • RhodeWarrior401
    RhodeWarrior401 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    frozen banana, blended. Its like banana ice cream! Add a few chocolate chips, or peanut butter, or whatever you want!
  • yolohunter
    yolohunter Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Banana ice cream, as a few have mentioned, is my new favorite....literally just ate a bowl of it lol.

Usually I just put a frozen cut-up banana, teaspoon cocoa powder, and maybe a dash of almond milk if it isn't blending well. Definitely going to try the vanilla extract and probably some pb2 mixed in at some point.

Can't believe how good it is- like banana chocolate fro-yo! I love that there are so few ingredients! I mean the first time I tried it I just blended up a frozen banana and it was amaze-balls!