CELERY IS MY ENEMY

Options
trixietime96
trixietime96 Posts: 17 Member
Okay so I love all vegetables except celery. I don't know why but I am VERY anti-celery .. the aftertaste is just awful and I can't properly describe it but it is just weird!!!

The only time I ENJOY celery is when i dip it in blue cheese dressing (because it SOMEHOW rids of the aftertaste) but then again I can only have this sometimes as I am sensitive to dairy !!!

Is there any celery recipes that YOU have found to be enjoyable? :( I will prob try a couple out and hope for the best!! Because I really do want to regularly include celery into my diet.

Thankyou :)

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Why not just avoid celery? Life is too short to eat things you hate.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It's OK, there are plenty of other vegetables. If you hate celery, don't eat it, problem solved.
    Google healthy vegetable recipes and learn to love your veggies?
  • trixietime96
    Options
    The only problem is I accidentally bought a bunch of celery the other day and I really dont want it all to go to waste.. that's why Im just trying to find a way to somehow consume them, haha
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I cook it into stuff, soups, stews and the like. Or you could juice it.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    How do you accidentally buy celery?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    How did you accidentally buy it?

I don't know. I hate celery and avoid it. No need for it in my life.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Okay so I love all vegetables except celery. I don't know why but I am VERY anti-celery .. the aftertaste is just awful and I can't properly describe it but it is just weird!!!

The only time I ENJOY celery is when i dip it in blue cheese dressing (because it SOMEHOW rids of the aftertaste) but then again I can only have this sometimes as I am sensitive to dairy !!!

Is there any celery recipes that YOU have found to be enjoyable? :( I will prob try a couple out and hope for the best!! Because I really do want to regularly include celery into my diet.

Thankyou :)
    The awful aftertaste is the pesticides. No matter how much you wash your celery, it stays on because it's designed to during rain. I could never eat celery, although I tried many times, because it had a strange metallic taste and made my tongue and lips slightly numb. Then I bought organic and now no problems at all. Try a stalk of organic celery (you still have to wash it, lol) and see if there is a difference.
    From Good Housekeeping magazine "The Dirty Dozen":
    "Celery

Another perennial food on the dirty dozen list is celery. USDA tests have found more than 60 different pesticides on celery."goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/healthy/news/g168/dirty-dozen-foods/?slide=1

• trixietime96
    Options
    I guess I need to tell you guys my life story before I could get some feedback ..... Hmmmmmm

Ok so for all those that need the full story before responding - here's the story of how and why I bought celery. I regularly make green smoothies and they are great. I wanted to try celery in my smoothies to see if the bananas and fruits will mask the taste and turns out they didn't and I didn't like it in smoothies so here I am trying to JUST ask for how people use celery in their daily lives .

I hope that was thorough enough for you guys :)
  • arditarose
    Options
    So you didn't accidentally buy it.
  • trixietime96
    Options

I cook it into stuff, soups, stews and the like. Or you could juice it.

^ juicing will probably not work for me .. but I am also looking into celery soups !! They look tasty :O
    canadjineh wrote: »
    The awful aftertaste is the pesticides. No matter how much you wash your celery, it stays on because it's designed to during rain. I could never eat celery, although I tried many times, because it had a strange metallic taste and made my tongue and lips slightly numb. Then I bought organic and now no problems at all. Try a stalk of organic celery (you still have to wash it, lol) and see if there is a difference.
    From Good Housekeeping magazine "The Dirty Dozen":
    "Celery

Another perennial food on the dirty dozen list is celery. USDA tests have found more than 60 different pesticides on celery."goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/healthy/news/g168/dirty-dozen-foods/?slide=1

Woah I will definitely look into this !! I just thought it was the actual TASTE of the celery, hmm I'll do a bit more research on it maybe organic celery will be a bit better? Hmm Im willing to experiment with that. :)
    Thanks for the article and for at least trying to help with my dilemma a bit !!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Celery costs about $1.49. If you don't like it and won't eat it and no one else will, then just give it away or toss it. For pete's sake, don't force yourself to eat it if you don't like it.
  • trixietime96
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

By accidentally I was referring to accidentally buying 'A Bunch' as in 'too much' but I apologize if it caused any confusion !! Woah I'mm be careful next time to ensure I am extremely thorough when asking a question :)
  • arditarose
    Options

By accidentally I was referring to accidentally buying 'A Bunch' as in 'too much' but I apologize if it caused any confusion !! Woah I'mm be careful next time to ensure I am extremely thorough when asking a question :)

Okay, thank you.
  • trixietime96
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Celery costs about $1.49. If you don't like it and won't eat it and no one else will, then just give it away or toss it. For pete's sake, don't force yourself to eat it if you don't like it.

I know how much it costs... I was just asking for celery recipes to hopefully try to avoid wasting it? I don't understand why the price has to be brought up ?
  • mccindy72
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

I know how much it costs... I was just asking for celery recipes to hopefully try to avoid wasting it? I don't understand why the price has to be brought up ?

if you don't like it, it's unlikely that putting it into a recipe is going to make it edible for you. It's got a distinct flavor. You'll be wasting all the other ingredients you put into the recipe, costing you much more than the original cost of the celery. It's your money, though. There are many other vegetables you can eat rather than one you don't like.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I could put peanut butter on it and then lick the peanut butter off and give the celery away.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I freeze it and use it for homemade chicken stock. I save ALL my chicken bones and scraps from veggies (onion peels, celery, carrot peels and tops, whatever.) and make stock in the crockpot or on the stove.
  • floralworld
    floralworld Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I dont like raw celery either. I only like soft celery so i usually put it in to soups. If im having celery raw ill just have some hummus with it
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I could put peanut butter on it and then lick the peanut butter off and give the celery away.

Now there's a celery idea I can get behind.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am from Louisiana and most cajun dishes start with a saute of onion, bell pepper and celery. So you could try some cajun dishes. Shrimp Creole is a tomato based shrimp stew starting with the afore mentioned veggies called the "trinity". soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/05/shrimp-creole-re-post.html

Shrimp%2BCreole6.jpg

I also use celery when I make soup. I start with onion, carrot and celery.

I use it in tuna or chicken salad.

Here is a stir fry that uses celery. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/03/shredded-beef-szechwan.html

Good luck! I hope you find a way to use all your celery.