My C25K Challenge.... Who's with me?

Options
I tried to start a C25k (Couch to 5K) challenge about a month ago, but after my first week, I found that my old sneakers weren't very good running shoes.... so I stopped running until I could get some. NOW I am ready to rumble!!!! So who wants to join me? C25K is a running program that gets you from the couch to a 5K run in 9 weeks! You run/walk 3X a week and then after each week you move up to the next "level". The android phone even has a free app (ExerTime) that you can download that will let you know when to switch from walking to running and back. If you are playing music, it will beep over your music to signal you to switch.

So, let's get started!! If we start this week, we will be done by August 1. If you wanna join this challenge, please let me know. Feel free to post your starting weight, any ideas, or questions that you have! Oh, and if you need to repeat a week before you advance to the next level - GO FOR IT!! We can do this TOGETHER!!

Lastly, feel free to "friend" me if you like.
Let's GO!

Replies

• MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I started that yesterday. It says to run 3x week and I want my running days to be MWF so I'm getting ready for Day 2. You're right...WE CAN DO THIS! I will check out the Android App that you spoke about. I have a PodCast from Robert Ullrey but it plays his music in the background. Its not bad music, just not real motivating for me. How often do we check in? I've never done an MFP challenge. I will add you. :)
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I just completed week 5 last night... It feels amazing to do something I never thought I would be able to do!
    Good Luck !!
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    I've got W3D3 tomorrow. Can I join???
    xxx
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    I just completed week 5 last night... It feels amazing to do something I never thought I would be able to do!
    Good Luck !!

This here fat girl (me) hasn't "run" in over 25 years!! I ran about 3X a month ago and said "Oh my gosh!! I think that I CAN do this without scaring off all of my neighbors".... haha. I'm excited about running in a 5K someday..... Thanks, and good luck to YOU!!
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    I've got W3D3 tomorrow. Can I join???
    xxx

Of course!! We can just post on the days that we run - which day we are on, how many calories burned, how long it took us, etc - whatever you want to post about your run. Also, you can post if you are having any issues or questions, as there are lots of people who have done this before, and can give advice.

For any newbies --> I looked up c25k on bing.com and saw some very informative reads if you want to find out more information!!
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    Well, I'm going to play catch up this week. I ran today W1D1 so I will run again Thu and then Sat. When I logged my calories for my walk/run in on MFP this morning, it said 500 something for the C25K... what? My HRM said about 180 which I thought was very low.... so I'm not sure which one to use. I ended up going by the HRM.

Does anyone else think that 180 was low, or is it just me? :noway:
  • baumhoff
    baumhoff Posts: 30
    Options
    ok....looked at this C25K business...I'm in....BUT I'm 42 years old and havent even JOGGED in 20 years!!! We'll see how it goes!!! Did anyone pay for the program? I did and it seems that I couldve done it without paying the $20!
  • baumhoff
    Options
    ok....looked at this C25K business...I'm in....BUT I'm 42 years old and havent even JOGGED in 20 years!!! We'll see how it goes!!! Did anyone pay for the program? I did and it seems that I couldve done it without paying the $20!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I am in, but I am on week 3. I will be doing w3d3 tomorrow. I can help encourage those that are below me, and I can use some encouragement for those that are above me.

I don't have a HRM, so I actually guestimate my calories burned usually around 300 - 350, and it usually take me anywhere from 30 -45 mins. I was running with a partner, but she has injured her knee. She is out of commission for a little while, but I will backtrack when she is able to run again. I usually do atleast 2 miles in the timeframe, sometimes I go farther. I can't tell you my speed because I don't have any way of tracking it. Also, where I am doing my C25K there are hills, so I take all that into consideration when I figure out my calories burned. I do plan on getting a HRM very soon, but I need some extra money first.
  • A_New_Horizon
    Options
    Well, I'm going to play catch up this week. I ran today W1D1 so I will run again Thu and then Sat. When I logged my calories for my walk/run in on MFP this morning, it said 500 something for the C25K... what? My HRM said about 180 which I thought was very low.... so I'm not sure which one to use. I ended up going by the HRM.

I have seen others who are on the same week as me who burn anywhere from 600 - 700 calories for C25K. It is very possible to burn 500. I believve 180 is very low.
  • baumhoff
    Options
    BCAcheerleading....I have an app for my phone called runkeeper that you may find helpful....it was free.
  • A_New_Horizon
    Options
    BCAcheerleading....I have an app for my phone called runkeeper that you may find helpful....it was free.

I would love to do that except my phone is too old to have something like that. It is a very basic phone with no internet. I would love to follow an app on my phone, but it isn't possible right now that is why I need to get a HRM.
  • bethm1210
    bethm1210 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I have seen others who are on the same week as me who burn anywhere from 600 - 700 calories for C25K. It is very possible to burn 500. I believve 180 is very low.

I just finished Week 2 and am averaging around 250 calories for 30 minutes. I wish it was more, but my HRM is already showing an average of 88%, so I'm not sure pushing any harder is a good idea. Can anyone tell me what percent I should be looking for? I'm 50, 5'3", and 140 lbs.
  • celticcateyes
    celticcateyes Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I should maybe try to start this next week. I need a training program and something to motivate me!
  • amyrenee79
    Options
    I'm in! I'm on W2D2 tomorrow.
  • arubababy
    arubababy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Count me in, starting on week 4 tomorrow, I struggled a bit with week 3, so hopefully will go ok.
    Good luck to everyone else starting this.
  • Imvidal
    Imvidal Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm in too. I'm finishing W3D3 tomorrow. I LOVE this program. I like most of us here have NEVER been a runner. On the contrary i always said I hated it. Until I found C25K. I think running is a great way to get healthy and loose fat. My partner for the C25K is also in MFP and lives far from me but we encourage each other. Doing this is a great idea.

Thinks that I have learned. HRM very important but tend to give you 30% higher cals burned than what you actually did. So for me it means I'm actually burning 250-280 cals for 30 min on W3... my HRM says 344-374, but I like to be conservative.

Good running shoes are a must. I actually bought new shoes this week and it made a HUGE difference.

If I can be of any help let me know and i would also love to learn from the ones that are more advanced. We can do this! :-0

BTW feel free to befriend me if you like.
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    Welcome everyone!! I'm going to do W1D2 tonight. I should have got my sorry behind out of bed this morning and did it, but I was sleeping soooooo good. LOL.

To baumhoff and bethm, I'm 50 and haven't "run" in 25 years as well!! WE CAN DO THIS!! :flowerforyou:
  • A_New_Horizon
    Options
    I will be doing w3d3 tonight (I always do it at night after my babies to go bed). Then, I will be doing my 4th one tomorrow night (which I always do). Usually I am do it on Sunday, Tues, Thur, and an extra on Sat. Sunday will start week 4 - little nervous about it, but I am determined to do it. I think I can, I think I can, I KNOW I can!!!
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    Ok, so I didn't run tonight either..... I met a friend at the bike path (rode my bike there) and we walked for 2 hours... then I rode it home. I logged about 800 calories.... so I'm happy with it. I will TRY to run in the morning.... I need to get week 1 behind me!! Sheesh!! :smile: