Tennis Elbow- What did you do?

Options
i know rest is something that can help but i tried it. Didnt help.

Tried the brace, creams and now gonna try vitamins. See how it works. Anyone else have any success stories with dealing with it ?

Replies

• silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My daughter often had tennis elbow when she played with USTA and her school. A coach told her to try arnica gel and it was amazing how well it worked!
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    the funny thing is i dont play tennis. I developed it either from strength training or swimming. Weird stuff
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I got cricket elbow, go to GNC and get triflex fast acting, take 3 a day for 1 week, then 2 per day for one week, drink water and stretch it gently everyday no matter what.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Eccentric exercises have helped in studies:
    https://youtu.be/yAcGG0M--TM?t=1m45s
    Also do the stretches that are earlier in that video.

At the gym, stick with compound exercises for now.. no isolation movements.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Lots of rehab work, ART, braces, compression cuffs, elbow sleeves, exercise modification and/or total elimination. After about a year it's 95% better.

The creams and pills and such did absolutely nothing.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Physio worked for me, deep tissue massage and Tens machine for a few sessions.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »

Tried the brace, creams and now gonna try vitamins. See how it works. Anyone else have any success stories with dealing with it ?
    You won't like this.
    I stopped playing tennis for 3 months along with various exercises you already know about.
    I had to get off that court. That's the only way you get better...\\

As for you, find out exactly what caused it, and STOP!
    Let it heal, then get back to training but smarter with more rest and less stress on that spot.

• oxlisaxo91
    oxlisaxo91 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be no help to your post but I have my own questions because I have the exact same thing but in my foot. I rolled my foot while running through a trail and I haven't been able to put any weight on that foot since (a week ago now) so I finally went to the doctors when Ive realised it's not just a sore muscle and found out I've damaged the ligament and caused a bone spur.
    Will I be okay to do general stationary bike work (and upper body with no weight on my feet, so movements I can do sitting down) or is that putting too much pressure on my foot? I know I need to rest it so it can heal but I've also already signed up for Tough Mudder in 3 months so I can stop my training all together :disappointed:
    Has anyone had a miracle and have had it heal in a few weeks?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    oxlisaxo91 wrote: »
    I'm going to be no help to your post but I have my own questions because I have the exact same thing but in my foot.

That's not even similar - they have degeneration of a tendon, you have trauma to a ligament & bone.. Anyway, generally speaking, with injuries, if an activity doesn't hurt, it's usually ok to do. But nobody here is qualified to give you permission, which is basically medical advice. Ask your doctor. Make sure to do whatever physical therapy they recommend. And if they say don't do the Tough Mudder, don't. Maybe you can get a refund with a doctor's note.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options

It's tendinitis. It NEVER goes away. I have both golfers and tennis elbow from years of lifting and pullups. What can help is elbow sleeves. The warmer they stay, the less it seems they are inflamed. It's still there, but once I'm warmed up and going, it's just an annoyance more than painful.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • raven56706
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

It's tendinitis. It NEVER goes away. I have both golfers and tennis elbow from years of lifting and pullups. What can help is elbow sleeves. The warmer they stay, the less it seems they are inflamed. It's still there, but once I'm warmed up and going, it's just an annoyance more than painful.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

thats what my doc says... he says that you just have to keep going and just ice it and ibuprofin it!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I treat it with ibuprofen when it flares up...then rest.
    it stinks!
  • raven56706
    Options
    how much ibuprofen?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can be knotted muscles in the arm, have you tried something like myofascial release massage??
  • raven56706
    Options
    i didnt try that but might be interested in trying. i mean hell, i will try anything
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

I just recently got over a really bad case. 4 months ago I tweaked my left elbow lifting. I babied it for 2 months, and it progressed to the point where all movement hurt, and my grip was giving out. I went to a sports med, and she sent me to therapy. PT had me do some stretches and strengthening work (such as wrist curls). They used iontopheresis to relax the worst muscle spasms, and taught me how to use kenesio tape. For 2 months I taped it 90% of the time. I would say it's 98% better. Just in the last few weeks, I've been able to really push it. I can feel.the tension, but not the shooting pain (and the swelling later).
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    As a person who has a tendon/joint disease I get golfer's or tennis elbow quite a bit compared to most.

Part of the treatment is learning what you are doing to cause it.

It can be treated in most cases although its really tricky for most people to get the correct treatment since usually they won't stop entirely for a long period to allow themselves to heal.

I can give you a link to a couple of products that you can buy and use that will make a huge difference in pain and eventually treatment. Together they run under $50. It helped me many times when I needed it. One is KT Tape. The other one will stretch the tendon when used often & will alleviate the stress on the side of the elbow you are having pain.

PM if you want info.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I've had golf elbow, which is the opposite of tennis elbow (I don't play golf, I also got it from weightlifting). Exercises and stretching worked for me, although the kinesiology tape is supposed to work very well at allowing you to use your arm whilst resting the affected area (because it gets assistance).
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I ended up having physio then cortisone injections, unfortunately none worked so ended up having surgery to release the tendons. That was about 4 years ago, it's been great since.