HELP! I've lost all motivation to eat right and exercise!

Options
I didn't really watch what I ate over the holiday weekend and ended up "falling of the wagon," so to speak. Anyways, I just can't find the motivation to get back on and start eating right and exercising again. I have no willpower to say no to anything that I'm craving and I can't just eat a little bit and be satisfied. I don't want to give up, but I just don't know what to do.

Replies

• jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Think about the reasons you want to lose weight...

Do you have a pair of jeans that are too tight to do up? A picture that doesn't show you in the most flattering light?

I have a godawful photo of me taken at my heaviest (around 230lbs pre-MFP). Whenever my motivation waivers I pull out that photo and think - never again - it does the trick!

Remember that the best motivation is weight loss - weight drops off much more quickly if you've been misbehaving for a while and need to get back on the wagon. Depending on how heavy you are, you could lose between 3lbs and 10lbs easily in the first week (I lost 14lbs in the first fortnight!). Good luck and keep on truckin'! :bigsmile:
  • MFP1984
    MFP1984 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i'm kind of in the same boat - however, maybe you could relax your goal for a week or two to make sticking with it easier. or focus on another goal for a week or so like getting plenty of fruit and veg in. x
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, only YOU can light your own fire. Think about all the reasons why you want to be healthier and lose weight. Unless those reasons have disappeared, then giving up is the equivalent of disrespecting yourself and all those legitimate reasons. Don't expect yourself to be perfect - take baby steps and set small goals each day - eventually you'll be back on track and going full speed ahead! Think of willpower as a muscle - the more you exercise it, the stronger it gets. :)
  • pedalpusher5
    Options
    Try on clothes. Try on some clothes that are too big and ask yourself if you really want to have to wear them. Try on some clothes that are too small that you really like and ask yourself if you ever want to get into them. Go out and buy a dress or jeans that are one size too small to motivate you. I face the same thing sometimes and I currently have 2 new dresses, one size too small, hanging in the closet waiting for me. :-)
  • cbenj09
    cbenj09 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! Me too!!! This holiday weekend went down the drain. Needless to say, any (slight) result I saw, or most likely FELT, went to the wayside. Not only that, I haven't tracked for like 4 days. So today is my first day, and I am DETERMINED to exercise when I get home! You have to be stronger than your mind, stronger than you will power, almost! :) If you have the will to sit and eat (which I do) pride yourself on being stronger than that will power! Even if it's forcing yourself to bang out a few sit ups! Do it!!!

You got this, girl! :) Good luck!
  • hoophippie
    hoophippie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Think about all the people who love you! They want you to be around for a looong time. By creating healthy habits, you will be creating peace of mind for you, your friends, and your family.
  • BeastieGirl
    Options
    I agree with the other posts, only you can find the motivation somewhere inside you, but I will say this, maybe you're setting your goals too high? Ok, you had a bit of a binge over the weekend. It's not the end of the world. Accept you fell off the wagon, you're not perfect, but you're doing your best to change.

I hope you find your mojo again soon, it will be worth it in the end :flowerforyou:
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    First, stop feeling guilty over "falling off the wagon". It's a totally normal thing we all do. The past is in the past, so no need to focus on it. You didn't destroy all your progress due to one "bad" weekend.

Examine why you're not feeling satisfied after you eat. Are you depressed/feeling guilty over not eating "healthy"? Don't let your emotions control your eating/exercise.

Remember why you started this journey. Look at pictures of yourself when you looked your best and when you looked your worst. Take a step in the direction you want to go. One step and then another. You'll be back on the road in no time.
  • LynnieSkinny
    Options
    You can do this!!! I had a hard time over the weekend saying no to some of my favorite fatty foods as well, but just keep your goals in mind. I also had such a hard time keeping up my exercise goals over the holiday, but right when I got back I joined 2 groups on the message board. Maybe try joining a group so that you have lots of extra support and motivation. Keep logging no matter what because just this past week, whether I do bad or good, it has truly helped me alot. Also, one of my favorite quotes that I have been saying to myself over and over is - "You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there."- unknown. Hope this helps a little! And if you need any extra support let me know... I will try my very best to help!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have a particularly hard time after any period of time where I've allowed myself more freedom with my eating (which usually goes along with lack of exercise). One thing that helps me with cravings is to plan ahead as much as possible (I often log my intended food intake on the night before), so that I can "crave" what I'm already planning on having.

I'm a dork, but I went to bed last night excited to get up and eat the waffles with PB that I'd planned for today's breakfast. And then during the day I was thinking "oh, I can't wait to get home for that afternoon snack with the craisins!"

HTH -- at least it's one strategy to consider! Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend.

-LP
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have a particularly hard time after any period of time where I've allowed myself more freedom with my eating (which usually goes along with lack of exercise). One thing that helps me with cravings is to plan ahead as much as possible (I often log my intended food intake on the night before), so that I can "crave" what I'm already planning on having.

I'm a dork, but I went to bed last night excited to get up and eat the waffles with PB that I'd planned for today's breakfast. And then during the day I was thinking "oh, I can't wait to get home for that afternoon snack with the craisins!"

HTH -- at least it's one strategy to consider! Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend.

-LP

This is a really good idea.

OP - YOU.CAN.DO.THIS.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!!! I decided to just forget about it and let it go and I've been eating within my calories (pretty healthy foods too:wink: ) and exercising when I can. I tried on my favorite pair of jeans that I haven't been able to wear for a while and also tried on an old pair of jeans that are too big. I definitely want to be wearing the smaller ones, not the bigger ones! Thanks for all your support. It's always nice to hear that it's not a big deal and that everybody slips every now and again. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, so it's nice to be reminded that you don't have to be perfect to still succeed.
  • dawnhendershot
    Options
    I fell of the wagon over the holiday weekend too and it's only natural. I just have to keep in mind that I still have this personal goal and eventually I will reach it. You mentioned "exercising when I can" and it's good that you're exercising, every little bit counts. Exercising is where I get lazy, I definitely need to exercise more. Several people mentioned trying on smaller clothing and to be honest it works. My "tight" jeans a couple weeks ago are not as tight anymore. I actually bought a pair of "tighter" jeans and I use those as my motivation. I can zip them up but they are tight and would be more flattering if I was 5-10 lbs smaller. Hang in there, hard work does pay off.

6828838.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter