Crippled and obese

Options
I've struggled with weight loss for years. I was doing pretty ok and then bam I got hurt was down for months in fact, I'm still down. I have an knee injury to my right knee which pretty much prevents me from walking without some type of support, which also makes it so hard to exercise to the point I've given up. Why you ask because I'm that type of go getter that if I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it right! I don't just want to eat right, I want to exercise too, but the problems lies with no cardio, I can't do leg lifts with that leg, no squats etc.... Also this injury leads me to have no energy ever because why well I don't sleep well because of it, sucky I know, so I nap at some point through the day to get that energy. Also I'm always so hungry at night I don't know why but I've always been a night eater, I know that's bad! So here are my questions to you my fitness pals, how do I beat these night time urges to eat, and 2 anyone have any suggestions on the exercise thing? Basically remember I'm very limited!

Replies

• Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    For exercises, I would recommend finding some chair workouts on Youtube - there are lots and you can do them sitting down or modify them to meet your fitness level. As for the late night eating, there's nothing wrong with eating late at night as long as it's within your calorie goal. So if you find that you are hungrier at night then during the day, maybe space your calories out so you have more to use in the evening. Eat smaller meals for breakfast and lunch and then use a bigger chunk of calories in the evening.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's the good news. You don't need exercise to lose weight. As you lose weight, the pressure on your injury will be less making it easier to recover. I lost my first twenty pounds simply on controlling my food intake.

Here's the second bit of good news. The idea that you gain weight from your night eating when you are typically less active is also a myth. It's the combined calories all day that cause you to gain.

So I suggest you work with your body and limitations and start making lists of things you can do. Your muscles are smaller in your core and your arms, but they count too. Also any core exercises you do now will help you down the road.

If you like to eat more at night, work with that. Do some self reflection to confirm if that eating is from boredom or true hunger. The way you can tell is if you replace the food with something less appetizing and see if you are still hungry.

I've made a list of exercises adaptable to people who are heavier or might have mobility problems. See if some of these work for you.

https://www.pinterest.com/janetkarasz/fitness-at-home/

Here's some ideas for halting a binge session.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/halting-a-binge-session-715131
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The good news is weight loss is mostly diet, so you can make progress as you find out what movements your body can handle.

Are you able to move in a pool? Maybe working out in water could be a good route. That's what I do because of limited mobility. One of the pools near me even has an area with bars. I also do weights with machines. Since it's your knee, you might be more limited than me (my problem is in my ankle), but I'd bet you could do upper body strength training. When you're sitting around you could do some arm circles. They aren't exciting, but they can elevate your heart rate a bit.

Finally, have you had access to physical therapy? It can't fix everything, but it did fix two of my three major injuries, among them my knee.

Best of luck!
  • tarahughes24
    tarahughes24 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I can sympathise with the mobility issues. I have osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia, am obese and don't sleep well....but I have to say that even though I haven't lost much weight yet I think my knees are starting to feel less bad. I think this might be because I've been moving more and that's helped the muscles around the joints.

Apart from walking and swimming I'm quite limited in activities. I think logging the food is a very good thing to do.

There's a book on yoga for fibromyalgia which sets out how to do it while sat/lying down and the UK arthritis research charity provide loads of info on exercise for people with arthritis that might suit you - gentle, stretching and strengthening.

Best of luck!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Good advice from everyone! It is mostly diet. There are lots of good videos and books for exercising while seated. Physio would help but a lot can be done to strengthen knees when seated. I don't know your age but seniors deal with these sorts of issues all the time, so if you cannot find anything else, try seated exercises for seniors.

Good luck!
  • lilhottstuff88
    lilhottstuff88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    To everyone I'm young only 26 the knee issue is they don't know what's wrong possibly nerves so there is no exercising it except in a pool which I of course can't afford to go to one because the injury was workers comp related. I have absolutely had physical therapy of all types with no progress except my range of motion, this has been going on for a very long time but workers comp is so slow. We will see what I can accomplish over the next few weeks. As for water I try so hard to drink all of them but sometimes that is the cause of me getting up 4-5 times a night and no one can sleep that way so I just drink when I'm thirsty at this point.
  • kalexmac
    kalexmac Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree that seated exercises can help. You might want to try dumb bells or stretch bands. Both can be done sitting. If you can stand on your knee at all, stretch bands allow you to be stationary. Believe it or not, you can work up a sweat doing either one whether or not you stand. Stretch bands are also inexpensive. You can lose weight just dieting, but doing both is really better. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so toning up can help with the weight loss and will help with any depression. Exercise can also help you sleep. As far as drinking water, try doing so earlier in the day. Good luck.
  • derekspiewak
    derekspiewak Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a conversation I always have with people who ask me about my weight loss:

HIM: I wish I could lose weight. I hate exercise.

ME: You don't need to exercise, you know. Just not eat as much.

HIM: What do you mean?

ME: Not eat as much? I don't know how many meanings that could possibly have. Like, as in, "eat less."

HIM: Eat less of what?

ME: Everything.

HIM: Oh. Well, I tried that once. It didn't work for me.

ME: I have to go.
  • derekspiewak
    derekspiewak Posts: 31 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    edit: double post
  • lilhottstuff88
    Options
    This reminds me of a conversation I always have with people who ask me about my weight loss:

HIM: I wish I could lose weight. I hate exercise.

ME: You don't need to exercise, you know. Just not eat as much.

HIM: What do you mean?

ME: Not eat as much? I don't know how many meanings that could possibly have. Like, as in, "eat less."

HIM: Eat less of what?

ME: Everything.

HIM: Oh. Well, I tried that once. It didn't work for me.

ME: I have to go.

I love exercise but only certain kinds...and Uhm ok anyone should know less food, less fatty food, fried food and sugary food
  • lilhottstuff88
    Options
    kalexmac wrote: »
    I agree that seated exercises can help. You might want to try dumb bells or stretch bands. Both can be done sitting. If you can stand on your knee at all, stretch bands allow you to be stationary. Believe it or not, you can work up a sweat doing either one whether or not you stand. Stretch bands are also inexpensive. You can lose weight just dieting, but doing both is really better. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so toning up can help with the weight loss and will help with any depression. Exercise can also help you sleep. As far as drinking water, try doing so earlier in the day. Good luck.

I try the water earlier in the day...I will not stop drinking it but pea size bladder yea!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    To everyone I'm young only 26 the knee issue is they don't know what's wrong possibly nerves so there is no exercising it except in a pool which I of course can't afford to go to one because the injury was workers comp related. I have absolutely had physical therapy of all types with no progress except my range of motion, this has been going on for a very long time but workers comp is so slow. We will see what I can accomplish over the next few weeks. As for water I try so hard to drink all of them but sometimes that is the cause of me getting up 4-5 times a night and no one can sleep that way so I just drink when I'm thirsty at this point.

Can you get your doctor or physiotherapist to write you a letter explaining that swimming is therapeutic?
  • chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Or see if the facility has scholarships?
  • lilhottstuff88
    Options
    chey282 wrote: »
    Or see if the facility has scholarships?

Thank you for the suggestion I will check it out!
  • iminthebandman
    iminthebandman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I saw an immobile person lose a lot of weight with a hand bike.