Using exercise to alleviate depression?

Options
Has anyone here used exercise to alleviate or prevent symptoms of depression? What kinds of exercise, and what frequency/duration of workouts seemed to have an effect?

I've been on medication for a couple of years, but I've always heard about how being active is a great therapy for a variety of mental issues. (As I'm sure everyone has.) I'm curious if anyone else is in the same boat or has had some success, looking into the possibilities of reducing my medication by combining it with a routine of physical activity.

Replies

• Babybu2014
    Babybu2014 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, exercise has always been what helps me when stressed or depressed. I've suffered from depression a number of times in the past few years, following redundancy, bereavement and poat natal depression. Running always helped me, recently I've been doing yoga which helps relieve strssst and tension, ultimately helping with my depression. Best of luck X
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Any kind of cardio is a good way to reduce depression.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Any kind of cardio that elevates endorphins. I personally love jamming music while doing cardio. So if you love aerobics, or step-aerobics, or running, or swimming, or cycling, or skateboarding, or roller-blading, or skiing, or rowing, etc....you get the idea.... look for something that you enjoy and keep after it till you find it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I go for walks and do not listen to music. My walks can range anywhere from a mile to 6 miles, depending on my mood and where I am in steps for the day. I don't listen to music because I like to hear the ambient noises. Birds, traffic, kids playing outside, parents yelling at their kids, etc. all make me feel like I am a part of life and living which helps elevate my mood. I make sure I pay attention to people's landscaping and any wildflowers I pass. I just really try to enjoy the beauty of life.

I think plugging in earphones and shutting yourself off from the world can keep you in your depression more. YMMV
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I've found that any kind of exercise for me has helped with my symptoms, but not completely eliminated the need for meds or reduced it...especially during PMS time. I have also found yoga to help with it.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps me stabilize my moods and control my anxiety immensely - I do a combination of weight training (3x/week... each session is about 45 mins) and cardio (4-5x/week, 30mins to 1 hour in length) and throw in yoga every now and then which I also love and helps a lot. Walking is my favorite form of cardio and the most therapeutic for me, especially when the weather is nice enough to be able to walk outside.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Anything will help, as long as you enjoy it. Weight lifting too, as long as the weight lifting is not too easy. (but if you're a beginner definitely ease into it). Anything that pushes your body a little and distracts your mind.
  • librislady
    librislady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I usually listen to a mix while running, but I may try to go without one day to see how that feels :) I've started Couch to 5K to ramp up into a few-times-per-week routine, and I'm interested in adding some strength training as well. Consistency is my biggest struggle right now, but I know it's so important to see those results - physical and mental.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Exercise has been my go to for stress release, sad release, anger release etc. When I feel just overwhelmed, I find solace in just putting on music and losing myself in a run/bike/swim/weight lifting session.
    Set goals in your head to do new numbers or new reps, just one more than last time. For me, getting a new PR just makes me feel so accomplished and happy, and very much so like a bad *kitten*, lol.
    Being able to let go of a fear, and getting it in your head and telling yourself that you CAN do it, and actually succeeding at it, it's a great feeling.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    It should have some form of stress relief for most since studies show exercise releases dopamine.

And personally it is the only way out of a bad mood sometimes. I have done workouts while sick just because I knew I'd feel better emotionally at least.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Wasn't really depressed I don't think, just had no real motivation until I started a steady exercise program. Now I cant be still and feel great most all of the time .
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps me stabilize my moods and control my anxiety immensely - I do a combination of weight training (3x/week... each session is about 45 mins) and cardio (4-5x/week, 30mins to 1 hour in length) and throw in yoga every now and then which I also love and helps a lot. Walking is my favorite form of cardio and the most therapeutic for me, especially when the weather is nice enough to be able to walk outside.

I'm gonna echo this, because she and I are practically in the same routine! :)

I do love taking long, quiet walks with my dog in the evenings, it is so important to care for ourselves mentally and physically. Alone/quiet time does the mind and body a world of good, in my opinion.

• 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Any cardio works for me and I try to make it a habit and do at least an hour a day.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it helps but it does not cure.
    I go for walks/hikes
    I run with music. finished the 5k and moved on to the 10k program. my final goal is to run a half marathon. I only say half because I can't imagine finding time to train for a full marathon
    and I do aerial yoga and getting into aerial hammock and silks. there is something very freeing about the aerial aspects and the yoga, keeps me tuned into myself and my higher power and those around me
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    librislady wrote: »
    Thanks, everyone! I usually listen to a mix while running, but I may try to go without one day to see how that feels :) I've started Couch to 5K to ramp up into a few-times-per-week routine, and I'm interested in adding some strength training as well. Consistency is my biggest struggle right now, but I know it's so important to see those results - physical and mental.
    It didn't work for me to exercise *because* I wanted to improve my mood. That was not enough of a motivator for me, because you won't always see obvious results on your mood. I needed a motivation that was more physical (weight, waist size, strength, and before these high cholesterol). But being consistent with exercise and weight lifting has resulted in an overall improvement on my mood, it just wasn't always immediate.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I'm gonna echo this, because she and I are practically in the same routine! :)

I do love taking long, quiet walks with my dog in the evenings, it is so important to care for ourselves mentally and physically. Alone/quiet time does the mind and body a world of good, in my opinion.

Completely agree with this! (surprise, surprise :) ) I can tell a drastic difference in my mood if I've gone too many days in a row without exercise. And sometimes the positive effect for me is immediate - if I'm having a crappy day or feeling stressed or sad or whatever, a full workout or even just a walk does a world of good.

ETA* just noticed I completely echoed the "world of good" sentiment lol unintentional, but obviously I'm in agreement!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Seeing some interesting comments where some people value "quiet" exercise and others crank up the music. I do like a quiet walk on a nice evening, but when it comes to crowding out negative thoughts (the source of most of my depression) loud music I can lose myself in (positive lyrics a bonus) helps the most. :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Music has a theraputic effect all of its own so its only going to be more potent when combined with exercise.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    For me exercise does make me feel a little better for a short period of time. But just like when I was taking antidepressants, it doesn't make me feel "happy" or anything like that. The source of my depression/anxiety is still there, I just don't care about it as much for a little bit... I hate that feeling, that's why I stopped taking meds.