CELERY IS MY ENEMY

Options

Replies

• trixietime96
    trixietime96 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

if you don't like it, it's unlikely that putting it into a recipe is going to make it edible for you. It's got a distinct flavor. You'll be wasting all the other ingredients you put into the recipe, costing you much more than the original cost of the celery. It's your money, though. There are many other vegetables you can eat rather than one you don't like.

Again, not really relevant to my original reason for this board because the celery has already been bought so I would like to experiment with it.. but anyway thanks for taking the time to compare celery scenarios vs cost with me but Im just sorry I don't want to throw it out :(
    arditarose wrote: »
    I could put peanut butter on it and then lick the peanut butter off and give the celery away.

I always heard of that, but never ever tried it because the thought of PB on a vegetable confused me... but i could see why that might work (maybe the same scenario with blue cheese!!!) I'll deff try it out :O
    cindytw wrote: »
    I freeze it and use it for homemade chicken stock. I save ALL my chicken bones and scraps from veggies (onion peels, celery, carrot peels and tops, whatever.) and make stock in the crockpot or on the stove.

Oh wow ! I never really thought about that ... that will definitely reduce the strong taste of celery. I'll google specific recipes for this thanks :)
  • trixietime96
    Options
    I dont like raw celery either. I only like soft celery so i usually put it in to soups. If im having celery raw ill just have some hummus with it

Yeah right now Im looking into this celery and potato leek soup which looks great ! Hopefully I could find more recipes to consider or get successful recipes from others on here :)
    dklibert wrote: »
    I am from Louisiana and most cajun dishes start with a saute of onion, bell pepper and celery. So you could try some cajun dishes. Shrimp Creole is a tomato based shrimp stew starting with the afore mentioned veggies called the "trinity". soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/05/shrimp-creole-re-post.html

Shrimp%2BCreole6.jpg

I also use celery when I make soup. I start with onion, carrot and celery.

I use it in tuna or chicken salad.

Here is a stir fry that uses celery. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/03/shredded-beef-szechwan.html

Good luck! I hope you find a way to use all your celery.

WOW Thankyou !! the shrimp creole looks great I never heard of the "trinity" before haha maybe celery combined with those 2 will balance out the flavours of the dish! Thanks so much I'll definitely look into this :)
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You can freeze it. Freeze diced onion, celery and bell pepper in freezer bags and use in cajun dishes later. You could do the same with soup veggies too.
  • trixietime96
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    You can freeze it. Freeze diced onion, celery and bell pepper in freezer bags and use in cajun dishes later. You could do the same with soup veggies too.

Yeah, cindytw mentioned about freezing it as well. I'm probably going to chop and freeze some stalks right now because they;ve been in my fridge for a couple of days already... thanks !!
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but most people hate the bitter "veins" that run down it and get caught in your teeth. The flavor is smoother if you remove them by gently running a veg peeler down them and getting rid of the threads. Try that, and then add them to whatever you want to try them in.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I HATE celery too! No need for it... Why force yourself? Stick to what you enjoy. Cucumbers are a great substitute. ;)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Celery is pointless. Except in soup, where I have grudgingly concluded that it aids texture and body.
  • maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My mother adds it to her vegetarian spaghetti bolognese made with quorn (but I suppose you could use real meat). Chopped up small it gets lost between the other vegetables so you don't really taste it so much (I hate celery).
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    And what the trinity is to Cajun and Creole cooking, onions, celery and carrots, aka Mirepoix, is to french cooking and the gazillion recipes from other cuisines that are based on it.

It's a pretty rare Chinese dish from an American restaurant that doesn't have celery in it.

Of course, most potato and tuna salads are out.

Maybe you can just live on smoothies, though.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I cook it into stuff, soups, stews and the like. Or you could juice it.

This. I also really enjoy it sauteed in soy sauce. No clue why, but I think it's really good that way. I also hate the strings, so I chop it up pretty small.

Although, there's no real reason to force yourself to eat celery if you don't like it.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Was the bundle like $4? Just pitch it, instead of making yourself eat something you honestly hate.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Why not just avoid celery? Life is too short to eat things you hate.
    Preach!

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    :D Celery tastes like dirty tap water, right there with you! I can only eat it in stir fry
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    :D Celery tastes like dirty tap water, right there with you! I can only eat it in stir fry

^^This.

I despise celery. Especially nasty slimy celery that people like to put in soup. Blech. I just don't eat it, and I don't see the nutritional value of trying to include it in my diet.
  • EricC2lose
    EricC2lose Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to tell you guys my life story before I could get some feedback ..... Hmmmmmm

Ok so for all those that need the full story before responding - here's the story of how and why I bought celery. I regularly make green smoothies and they are great. I wanted to try celery in my smoothies to see if the bananas and fruits will mask the taste and turns out they didn't and I didn't like it in smoothies so here I am trying to JUST ask for how people use celery in their daily lives .

I hope that was thorough enough for you guys :)
    When I use celery in tuna salad chicken salad soups and stews. I always peel the out side stringy layer. The outer layer had a bitterness to it once that's gone it just adds a crunchy texture to food and takes on the flavor of the other ingredients
  • EricC2lose
    EricC2lose Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Slimy celery???? Where do you get your produce?
    Ruatine wrote: »

^^This.

I despise celery. Especially nasty slimy celery that people like to put in soup. Blech. I just don't eat it, and I don't see the nutritional value of trying to include it in my diet.

• iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    screw celery, I'm with you. I love most vegetables but that's not one of them. I just don't eat it! No one says you have to.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Okay so I love all vegetables except celery. I don't know why but I am VERY anti-celery .. the aftertaste is just awful and I can't properly describe it but it is just weird!!!

The only time I ENJOY celery is when i dip it in blue cheese dressing (because it SOMEHOW rids of the aftertaste) but then again I can only have this sometimes as I am sensitive to dairy !!!

Is there any celery recipes that YOU have found to be enjoyable? :( I will prob try a couple out and hope for the best!! Because I really do want to regularly include celery into my diet.

Thankyou :)
    The awful aftertaste is the pesticides. No matter how much you wash your celery, it stays on because it's designed to during rain. I could never eat celery, although I tried many times, because it had a strange metallic taste and made my tongue and lips slightly numb. Then I bought organic and now no problems at all. Try a stalk of organic celery (you still have to wash it, lol) and see if there is a difference.
    From Good Housekeeping magazine "The Dirty Dozen":
    "Celery

Another perennial food on the dirty dozen list is celery. USDA tests have found more than 60 different pesticides on celery."goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/healthy/news/g168/dirty-dozen-foods/?slide=1

This is simply not true. Celery has a bitter taste to it that some people just don't like. Like fresh parsley, some lettuces, or the infamous cilantro. Organic celery is grown with different (organic) pesticides, not with no pesticides.

How do you feel about cooking with it? Would you use it soups, stews, stir-fry's etc.? You can finely dice it and freeze it in pre-portioned bags if you think you might use it later in a mirepoix mixture (celery, carrots and onions), as a base for all kinds of things.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Find a bunny and donate it for it's feed. Throw it away. Use it to play drums.
  • derekspiewak
    derekspiewak Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat celery to be healthy. But you pretty much can't make a soup base without it, so...avoid soup?