How Running Changed My Body (Before/After Pics) ;)

Options
I recognize I could've posted this in the "Success Stories" board, but I thought I'd share it here. I frequently see folks asking for advice on becoming a runner, or if it's possible. While I've run over the years, I took a huge hiatus and become overweight. So in May 2014, I basically started from scratch!

208a39w.jpg

The photo on the left is me in June 2014, running a 12K - my first race in a few years. The one on the right is me at a 10K, a couple weeks ago. There is a little more than a 20 lb weight difference between the photos, and let me tell ya, I can FEEL the difference.

In the past year, I took my mile times from about 11-12 to running a 5K in 23:31 last month! Losing weight & being consistent has radically helped me improve my times. I previously was a mid-back of the pack runner.

Running has really transformed the way I train and been an excellent challenge for me. It's helped me maintain my weight. I also strength train about 3 times per week too - I love doing lots of core/bodyweight stuff as well as some heavy lifting.

I am certainly no pro. Just someone who loves to run and race. If I can throw any encouragement your way today, lemme know. I'd love to do that!

Replies

• searsvls
    searsvls Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Your second picture is SO motivating! Thank you so much for sharing. You look so happy :)
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    You look fab! Well done.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    As someone who has just gotten into running and is hovering around a 13 minute mile, you have NO idea how motivating this is!!
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I usually not one to cheer-lead. But you look great. Excellent job. Especially with improving your time.
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Wow! Way to go! And very motivating for me. I especially like the green shoelaces. Also glad to see the senior woman in the background of the second picture since I am closer in age to her, lol!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Slainte831 wrote: »
    Wow! Way to go! And very motivating for me. I especially like the green shoelaces. Also glad to see the senior woman in the background of the second picture since I am closer in age to her, lol!

That lady was really kickin' my butt in the last mile! I made it my one goal to beat her and I did... but barely! :)

• arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    As someone who has just gotten into running and is hovering around a 13 minute mile, you have NO idea how motivating this is!!

This was my hope & goal. I am sooo amazed by what a year of just showing up did not only for my weight/fitness, but my running times and general outlook on life. I hope I can encourage other people to get out there, too!

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Very well done...!

:drinker: