30 day water and vitamin fast, is this okay or would it be dangerous to do?

Options
I have been hearing about this fast where you only drink water and take vitamins for 30 days, would this be really unhealthy and possibly dangerous to do?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing about this fast where you only drink water and take vitamins for 30 days, would this be really unhealthy and possibly dangerous to do?

And, why would you do that?

Yes. It's unhealthy and dangerous.

How much weight do you have to lose? What are your stats? Enter all this in MFP, find out your calorie goal, and eat that amount of food.
  • Zoe678
    Zoe678 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Sounds like that would be a pretty crappy month.
  • jennmarie1315
    jennmarie1315 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have about 50 lbs to lose give or take, and I have entered it in, I was just curious about it.
  • jennmarie1315
    Options
    Zoe678 wrote: »

I agree I love food lol, I was just hearing about this women who did this fast and lost about 30 lbs from doing it.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I have about 50 lbs to lose give or take, and I have entered it in, I was just curious about it.

Oh. Well, forget the silly liquid diet and just eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. You can do this. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Extremely unhealthy and dangerous. Eat at a reasonable deficit and get some extra movement in. No need for drastic ridiculous dangerous methods.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Zoe678 wrote: »

I agree I love food lol, I was just hearing about this women who did this fast and lost about 30 lbs from doing it.

Yeah, but they lost a whole lot muscle mass too, which is what happens when you lose too quickly.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Oh nooooooo. It's horrible idea. Don't do it. Eat in a calorie deficit, add a little exercise and you'll do fine. Please don't think there are short cuts to losing weight because there aren't :|
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    So you starve yourserf for a month?

What an unhealthy, ludicrous, dangerous idea.
  • jennmarie1315
    Options
    Thank you :)
    I really wasn't planning on doing this fast I was just curious about it, I couldn't go without eating that long lol .
  • davidmanfred
    davidmanfred Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Many vitamins need other foods to be taken in by your body. Just having water in your stomach and the vitamins would probably mean you wouldn't be taking in the vitamins your body desperately needs.

This aside from the fact that not eating for a month would be bad for you. Your body would need to get nutrients from somewhere and would begin to pull them from healthy parts of your body, your organs and muscles. I had an anorexic friend that lived on diet soda, multivitamins and water. By the time she was cured of this her teeth enamel had eroded, her eyesight had gotten very bad, her skin was prematurely aged and her bone density was way low.

A month isn't the equivalent of this but this would happen in a much smaller amount.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Thank you :)
    I really wasn't planning on doing this fast I was just curious about it, I couldn't go without eating that long lol .

Thank goodness you're not going to do it! :D
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

You'd lose a ton of lean body mass and possibly die, depending on how much bodyfat you have.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    There are heaps of people who have lost a ton of weight doing that! Starving kids in Africa, people in concentration camps, prisoners of war and those really skinny people in hospital on life support because they've been classed as "anorexic". Totes a good idea.

But seriously, sarcasm aside. I know you just asked an innocent question, but it's a scary one.
    This "diet/fast" is extremely dangerous and is glorified starvation (Literally). Your body needs calories just to keep your heart beating, lungs breathing and all the other fun stuff that keeps you alive. You might not die, but by the end of it your body will have eaten large amounts of fat AND muscle just to keep you alive. So once you do lose the last bit of fat, there will be little/no muscle and will look skeletal.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found in our Eating Disorder Resources page.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.
This discussion has been closed.