Say what you will

Options

Replies

• rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Okay but they're expensive. I'd rather go to the market and make my own food.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Information on Pre-packaged foods have a margin of error up to 20%.

That 500 calorie pre-packaged food you just scanned, could really be 600 calories.

Just saying...

Or it could be 400.

Unlikely to be less, otherwise the company is ripping you off by not giving you the quantity stated on the packet.
    From my experience of weighing packed food since start of October 2013, less than 5% have weighed less than what has been stated, very few even weigh the amount stated. Most weigh more than what is stated, so scanning will be underestimating the amount of calories you are consuming.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »

That 500 calorie pre-packaged food you just scanned, could really be 600 calories.

Just saying...

Or it could be 400.

Unlikely to be less, otherwise the company is ripping you off by not giving you the quantity stated on the packet.
    From my experience of weighing packed food since start of October 2013, less than 5% have weighed less than what has been stated, very few even weigh the amount stated. Most weigh more than what is stated, so scanning will be underestimating the amount of calories you are consuming.

If they are allowed to be within a certain margin and are within a certain margin, then they are not ripping you off.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Mmm whatcha saaay

giphy.gif
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Just saying...

Or it could be 400.

If they are allowed to be within a certain margin and are within a certain margin, then they are not ripping you off.

In Australia, they are required to provide the minimum quantity, maybe differs where you live.
    Nevertheless, as I said I have been weighing packed items for well over a year and very few weigh less or even the stated amount, most weigh more. For those who eat packed items regularly, they are eating more calories than they think, on average.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Just saying...

Or it could be 400.

In Australia, they are required to provide the minimum quantity, maybe differs where you live.
    Nevertheless, as I said I have been weighing packed items for well over a year and very few weigh less or even the stated amount, most weigh more. For those who eat packed items regularly, they are eating more calories than they think, on average.

OP is in the US.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Just saying...

Or it could be 400.

Yep. Weigh that stuff, if you can. It's a good idea, to make sure you're not going over your calories. Especially if it's a calorie dense food.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options

Just saying...

Nutritional information on ALL foods has a margin of error. Its based on the average of lab tests done on multiple samples. Fat content varies in meat. Sugar content varies in produce. Its all just one big estimate.

Exactly. And margin of error goes BOTH ways and applies to whole foods as well.

Personally, I do love the barcode scanner. I use it for a lot of things to find the exact food I'm looking for and I even still weigh it out. So I used the barcode scanner to find my deli turkey to get it exact, and then weighed the turkey and logged exactly how much I ate. Same thing with crackers, cheese, and so many other things. It can be much easier to find the exact match this way.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake isn't prepackaged..... I like cheesecake :smiley:
  • gaelicstorm26
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Tell my mother-in-law that cheesecake isn't supposed to be prepackaged, haha!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Just saying...

Nutritional information on ALL foods has a margin of error. Its based on the average of lab tests done on multiple samples. Fat content varies in meat. Sugar content varies in produce. Its all just one big estimate.

That's what I don't get about this argument. People seem to act like packaged food is all wrong and fruit veg and meat is 100% accurate.

But it's all an estimate. Just got to get the best estimate.

The packaged foods I have weighed seem pretty accurate, not out by 100 calories, more like 10.

Maybe packets of lentils or beef from Coles is more accurate than other countries labelling requirements.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

SNORT!
  • gaelicstorm26
    Options
    khristiana wrote: »
    They might be easier to scan into the database, but they are exponentially worse for you, health wise. I'll take my time preparing my food :smile:

I prepare a lot of my food too, but I also use things that I've bought in the store that have barcodes to make those things. It's easier to scan in the cheese I'm using than to try and search for it. Unless you also make your own cheese, bread, yogurt, ice cream, crackers, pasta, rice, etc. :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

lol I was just thinking that!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Auto play on video ads on this site!?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Since when does scanning a barcode mean you don't weigh your food?

I love doing both. Yay for convenience and accuracy!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    They might be easier to scan into the database, but they are exponentially worse for you, health wise. I'll take my time preparing my food :smile:

Wow, exponentially worse? Care to elaborate/quantify? Given that whether or not a food is "clean" or not or "healthy" or not is something that is constantly debated in here since everyone has different definitions.... I'm very eager to learn about a system that you've found which not only quantifies the health of an individual food without knowing anything about the context of the consumers overall diet, BUT it is also such a wide scale that there are exponential degrees of variation between healthy and unhealthy..,
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Oh nos! The bag of fresh clementines I just bought last night has a bar code on the bag! I'd better throw them out, then!
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    I figure the OP is having a go at the clean eaters around here.

That was my thought, as well

Oh nos! The bag of fresh clementines I just bought last night has a bar code on the bag! I'd better throw them out, then!

I scan the bar codes, but then remove the bar codes before i eat the food. It's kept out the toxins without having to detox
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Just saying...

Or it could be 400.

OP is in the US.

The quantity on the package is also required to be the minimum in the US so it should never be less. If it is, take photos and complain to the manufacturer.

Pre-packaged food may be off for 2 reasons:

1) Over-fill. This is very likely which is why you should weigh your Lean Cuisine
    2) Standard variation based on averages for agricultural products. This margin of error holds true for all foods, whether you purchased whole ingredients and made your own dinner or Kraft purchased the whole ingredients and made the frozen dinner.