Diabetic having trouble reaching 1000 calories a day

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Because one gets scared of the fact that they are diabetic. I started monitoring my bloodsugar four times a day, and figuring out what was making my bloodsugar spike, then I cut those things out of my diet. Since then, I have been trying to replace what I was normally eating (mostly a lot of pasta, I was a pastaholic) with low carb, low fat options and trying to stay in a good bloodsugar range.

For example, in the past I could eat a large pizza by myself in one sitting for supper and not think much about it. And today I'm having a single 4 oz pork chop and vegetables.

Pasta is fine for diabetics and so are most carbs. The key is serving size. You cannot have a huge serving of pasta, because it will affect your blood sugar. You cannot top it with a creamy sauce and lots of cheese, because it will affect your weight loss. But you can enjoy one small bowl of pasta, with e.g. tomato sauce and complete your meal with a salad and cheese. It will be filling and not affect you negatively in any way.
    As for your meal today, especially if you are low in calories, there is no need to have a single pork chop. Make a full meal out of your pork chops and vegetables. It will not affect your sugars.
    You can have about 40 grams of carbs per meal. Of course this might vary, and for some carbs it might be less, for some it might be more, and it is not the same for eveyone, so you need a bit trial and error. But the usual starting point is about 40. Which means for example, 1/2 to 1 bowl of pasta, or a couple of slices of bread, or 1/2 to 1 bowl of rice or beans or a small baked potato, when it comes to common ingredients used in lunch and dinner. So no need to starve!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hi, there. I believe you. My type 2 diabetes is in remission now. The thing with chronic conditions is that you are your best advocate daily, and you don't have a professional at your beck and call if something isn't working. So you need to adjust the instructions until you can see them next.

Both low fat and low carb is just too hard which you've found out. You need to find out right away what your minimum calories a day need to be and I suspect it will be about 1,200 calories.

Are you testing a full two hours after you eat? Everyone spikes after eating but it should even out after a couple hours.

You might find that adding protein to a fruit, vegetable, or whole grain will even out the way your body processes the whole meal. So pair your fruit or vegetable serving with protein like,

Peanut butter with apple slices
    Celery sticks filled with laughing cow (skinny)
    Hard cheese with crackers

"Good fats" that you can cautiously add to your diet include vegetable oils, nuts, and fatty fish. I only say cautiously because fats are calorie dense and can add up quickly.

I find I can take the carbs from fruit very well, better than rice.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree that low carb and low fat seems hard. Diabetics can eat fat, and plenty of it, because it will not bring up their blood glucose like carbs and even protein can. Look into Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solutions. It is about a low carb high fat diet that helps diabetics normalize their blood and helps them lose weight.

Eating low fat is not needed to lose fat. I've been eating LCHF to help my blood glucose, for close to two months, and it has worked great (I was prediabetic). My blood is normal, and I have lost almost 20lbs, which is pretty good since it brought me into my normal BMI - I didn't have a lot to lose.

Try the Low Carber Daily forum or the T2 Diabetes forum. You'll find more support there. Good luck.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Sorry didn't mean to offend you, but we just hate seeing people who are starving themselves as a way to lose weight. That's not the best way to stick to a diet long term. Sure you can probably do it for about a month and then eventually you'll just give up and you'll be back to where you started. It seems like people get some scarey diagnois from their doctor and then they take their weight loss strategy to an extreme. I too got the scarey diabetic diagnois from my doctor back in April. My AC1 was at 9.6. I then did research on the best foods to eat as a diabetic and started making my meals around those foods. In four months my AC1 went from a 9.6 to a 6.0 and I lost 46 pounds. I haven't starved myself. Just eat a healthy balanced meal. Sure I try and keep my carbs low but I still eat fruit everyday. I eat on average 1500 calories per day and have gone from 254 pounds to 208 pounds in about 4 and a half months. A regular exercise routine is also vital to helping mainting proper blood sugar levels. Just being more active and losing weight is going to help your situation.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I was told to eat low fat by my diabetic councilor because I am also quite a bit overweight. Perhaps I'm overdoing it on the low fat. (I haven't been tracking on my fitness pal every day, but on another site)

I'd ask the counselor for more specifics, like how many grams of fat or calories from fat is suggested. Also, talk to him/her about fiber.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My husband was recently diagnosed as type II diabetic and as a 200-lb. man, he was told to limit carbs to no more than 60 per meal. So for a female, about 40 carbs per meal sounds about right. He also has very, very high triglycerides and blood cholesterol, so he was also told to limit fats. He was told by his nutritionist to look at it this way, if you are putting food on your plate, half of your plate should be vegetables, one quarter of your plate should be protein and one quarter, carbohydrates. If a particular food, does spike your blood sugar, then you may have to substitute a higher fiber, lower sugar version. My husband, for instance, loves sweet pickles, so I found a sugar-free version that he can enjoy without elevating his blood sugar. It's a trial and error process, but follow your nutritionist's advice and be sure to communicate your results weekly to the nutritionist. Rapid weight loss can be a sign that your diabetes is still not under control, so make sure he/she knows about that.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My husband was recently diagnosed as type II diabetic and as a 200-lb. man, he was told to limit carbs to no more than 60 per meal. So for a female, about 40 carbs per meal sounds about right. He also has very, very high triglycerides and blood cholesterol, so he was also told to limit fats.

Triglycerides reduce by restricting carbs, not fats. Might want to revisit that one.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I applaud your commitment to trying to get this under control. I think it is great you are taking control now rather than when you have severe complications.

My advice would be to contact your treatment team, specifically, the counselor who have you these guidelines. I would explain that you feel like you are not eating enough and are concerned that this may hinder your health even more. I would ask for specific foods that you could add that have higher calorie counts or how you could add more calories into your day (maybe a protein shake or two or something of the like).

Just a question: are you weighing your food with a food scale? If so, great! If not, I would go buy one (cheap on amazon or at target/Walmart), and start weighing everything. Not doubting your calorie consumption, but would hate for you to think you need to add in more calories if your calorie intake is actually higher than you think.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/heart/prevention/risk-factors/cholesterol/triglycerides
    It looks like dietary fat and carbs both contribute to higher triglycerides.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I was told to eat low fat by my diabetic councilor because I am also quite a bit overweight. Perhaps I'm overdoing it on the low fat. (I haven't been tracking on my fitness pal every day, but on another site)

Call them up and tell them that you cannot eat enough. If you're feeling weak, tired or dizzy, tell them that, too. Ask for help.
  • cbxvx
    cbxvx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just because you are diabetic doesn't mean you need to avoid fruit... According to the medical literature.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU_RkeA88DY

Please watch!
  • gtegirl2003
    gtegirl2003 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started at 210, now at 195 in 80 days and going the right direction. My A1C was 6.3 so I had to get serious with the diary, My top limit for myself is 1400 a day but usually stay about 1250. I did go to an Italian restrauant and 2 daughters and I split a pasta meal, Caeser Salad and 2 desserts. Calories were 2400 for the day. Planned ahead and had 900 cal. days the day before and after. I went to a nutritionist at the local hospital and she said the important thing is try to be consistant. Some people do better having the same breakfast and lunch so they can eat dinner the same as their family. Some people like the variety of a differant breakfast and lunch( takes more planning but it keeps them from cheating) I normally have eaten 500-600 cal by 4pm and stay away from 100 cal packages of snacks and treats. I try to eat real food. I also walk every day I can 30 minutes. 45 carbs a meal. this amounts to a bun or 2 slices of bread or a cup of pasta or 2/3 cup cooked rice and a fruit per meal. If you get hungry, add an extra ounce or 2 of meat with your meal. I hope this helps
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options

I used to work in for an endocrinologist who specialized in diabetes. I would really advise that you talk to an RDE - registered diabetic educator. These individuals have gone the extra step and become experts in how to manage diabetes. The two I worked with did believe in regulating carb intake - for a woman they advised between 45 and 60 per meal. You can still have pasta. You can still enjoy your life. You just have to do it in smarter ways. Try and get enrolled in a diabetic education class. It'll change your life, your perspective, and the way you move forward.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Also, report to your doc your weight drop. Significant weight loss or gain in diabetes is always something to bring up.
  • RMCottonRPh
    RMCottonRPh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't think any nutrition professional would approve of such low calories. At that low of intake, you are setting yourself up for a lot of blood sugar lows. Not good. Eat more protein and fat.
  • mgoddard1527
    mgoddard1527 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Be careful to read all the labels on low fat items.....many times the "flavor" is replaced with lots of sugars.
  • hannahkingfitness
    hannahkingfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Have some avocado and feta cheese smashed together on some light rye bread. Healthy fats n low carb. :)
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I don't think OP is coming back. That makes me sad.

If you are out there and reading this, OP, I would advise you to call your doctor. I'm also diabetic and do a low carb, high fat diet. While diabetics sometimes can eat high protein, it is hard on your kidneys and diabetes is also hard on the kidneys, so usually not a great combination.

I stick to moderate protein. With this combination of macros I almost always feel satisfied.

If you want fruit, berries are an awesome choice! I LOVE strawberries and I eat them a lot. I just have to measure it out first. I also eat ice cream and lots of other super yummy things.

Please don't get discouraged. There is a special group on here for those with Type II and it's wonderful...people just like us who can address our specific dietary needs.