Is running the way to go when trying to lose leg muscle?

Options
I have recently read a few articles about how certain exercises can help burn muscle mass in your legs.
The article I read said that extended periods of cardio such as long distance running can burn muscle protein if you have been fasting and there is no calories to use as energy. Is this true?

Replies

• ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to lose muscle from your legs?
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Not using your legs helps deteriorate your muscles.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sponge bob strikes again with his unrealistic body image standards?

After a thigh gap? My guess is genetics and diet are better ways than losing muscles.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to lose muscle from your legs?

Yeah ... this ^^

• nicediva007
    nicediva007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you're running long distance then you're going to have to eat during the run so there are calories to use. I don't know very many runners (myself included) who do long runs (13+ miles) and don't ingest some kind of carbohydrate as fuel.

But to try to answer your question, when I first started running, my calves actually bulked up a bit, because they were getting used to the new usage. Running uses the quads and the calves a lot (especially for hills). Eventually they slimmed down because of fat loss overall. I can't however say that on my body that there was any targeted fat loss on my calves though. Everyone is probably different in that regard.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Why do you even want to lose muscles? They're prolly just fat underneath.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My guess is OP wants to slim down her legs??
  • jarrahm133
    jarrahm133 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The reason I want to lose muscle is because I have quite bulky legs but they are mostly just muscle and I want to slim them down but eating at a calorie deficit just seems to work in my stomach and no where else so I have quite a slim upper body and I would like legs to match.
  • ashleypetrie4
    Options
    The loss of muscle is known as muscular atrophy and could cause you serious issues in your later years. You want to keep/build up your muscles in your youth to help with mobility when you are older. I also have very muscular/bulky thighs and I've learned to love them. I know that's not the easiest thing to do, but you were born with them, try to embrace them.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    jarrahm133 wrote: »
    The reason I want to lose muscle is because I have quite bulky legs but they are mostly just muscle and I want to slim them down but eating at a calorie deficit just seems to work in my stomach and no where else so I have quite a slim upper body and I would like legs to match.

Did you actually work out previously to gain leg muscles? If not wouldn't your leg muscles be as big as they need to be for your daily activity?

Or could you be confusing fat legs for muscular legs?
  • toriraeh
    toriraeh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    So I always thought I had fairly slim legs in terms of fat. They weren't fat, they were just muscular. But despite doing plenty of strength training and running to maintain muscle, I have lost several inches from my legs over my 25lb loss. I now realize that there WAS some fat hiding there and my legs are thinner than I thought. Still not thigh gap thin, but I'm fitting skinny jeans and boots better.

Please don't risk damaging your muscles for the sake of fitting an unrealistic body image. Eat at your moderate deficit, do some exercise (do some strength training as well as cardio), and try to embrace the things you consider imperfections. You will be healthier overall and this will lead to a happier you, skinny legs or not.
  • ashleypetrie4
    Options
    toriraeh wrote: »
    So I always thought I had fairly slim legs in terms of fat. They weren't fat, they were just muscular. But despite doing plenty of strength training and running to maintain muscle, I have lost several inches from my legs over my 25lb loss. I now realize that there WAS some fat hiding there and my legs are thinner than I thought. Still not thigh gap thin, but I'm fitting skinny jeans and boots better.

Please don't risk damaging your muscles for the sake of fitting an unrealistic body image. Eat at your moderate deficit, do some exercise (do some strength training as well as cardio), and try to embrace the things you consider imperfections. You will be healthier overall and this will lead to a happier you, skinny legs or not.

This is said perfectly!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have recently read a few articles about how certain exercises can help burn muscle mass in your legs.
    The article I read said that extended periods of cardio such as long distance running can burn muscle protein if you have been fasting and there is no calories to use as energy. Is this true?

Are you sure they said "leg" muscle mass specifically? Because generally, you can't determine where you body loses, whether that is fat or muscle.
    Long periods of cardio without fueling properly can lead to muscle loss but I don't believe it will be exclusively leg muscle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Genetics may not be on your side here. While you can keep slimming down to have it eventually affect your leg circumference, you upper body will also slim down because fat loss is systematic, meaning if you lose 1% of fat, it's from all over the body. If what you say is correct about your proportions, then it will still be the same even if you're smaller.
    Post a pic of the bulky legs because most people aren't really good at assessing themselves.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• UprightMan
    UprightMan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Did you actually work out previously to gain leg muscles? If not wouldn't your leg muscles be as big as they need to be for your daily activity?

Or could you be confusing fat legs for muscular legs?

He knows what's up. I find it very doubtful you actually have muscle and not fat.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I am a long distance runner and now have disproportionately large legs compared to the rest of me because of the muscles....so....not so sure that's the way to go. lol
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I do not run

My legs slimmed down

I credit

Genetics
    Losing fat
    Possibly weight training and the squats and lunges and compound lifts
    Dumb luck