Looking for advice on a HRM

I am looking at the Polar FT4. I want something more accurate than just counting steps but not pay a fortune in case it doesn't turn out to be my thing. My activity level changes and the online calculators never seem to be much help.

Any feedback on the Polar FT4? Are HRMs worth it? Is there another product out there that gets more good reviews than bad?

TIA

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    It sounds like you are planning on wearing this all day and hoping for an accurate #?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    I have the FT7
    and very happy with it
    The calculations with the burned calories and weight loss are pretty accurate.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I have an FT4 and love it.

Just bear in mind that all HRMs are only accurate during steady-state cardio activity. Not weight lifting, not just standing around, and certainly not for all day wear.

They are accurate and excellent for counting cals burned during cardio.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Just bear in mind that all HRMs are only accurate during steady-state cardio activity. Not weight lifting, not just standing around, and certainly not for all day wear.

Ditto. I have the FT4 and love it, but only wear it during cardio exercises.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It sounds like you are planning on wearing this all day and hoping for an accurate #?

Yes. My activities change often and I need something better than a guess or counting my steps. At least wear it while I figure a good average than maybe just wear it during workouts.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member

Oh, gotcha. Yeah I'm trying to find a More accurate BMR and TDEE their than just using online calculators. I tend to gain weight when I use those but if I go by MFP I don't lose just maintain.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    TripleJ3 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

Yes. My activities change often and I need something better than a guess or counting my steps. At least wear it while I figure a good average than maybe just wear it during workouts.

That is not what any HRM is for

It's just for steady state cardio

You are best with a step tracker like a fitbit one or zip

Then log exercise separately ...half the calories of MFP database entries / machines or wear an HRM for steady state cardio
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    TripleJ3 wrote: »

Oh, gotcha. Yeah I'm trying to find a More accurate BMR and TDEE their than just using online calculators. I tend to gain weight when I use those but if I go by MFP I don't lose just maintain.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • RedGeezer
    RedGeezer Posts: 38 Member
    Yeah I'm pretty confused as to whether I buy the FT7 or a heart rate sensor? Do they combine?
  • BWBTrish
    FT7 is a watch with heart rate It has a chest strap that you wear when you do cardio
  • RedGeezer
    RedGeezer Posts: 38 Member
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    FT7 is a watch with heart rate It has a chest strap that you wear when you do cardio

Does the chest strap come with the watch or do you buy it separately?
  • BWBTrish
    nope together so watch and strap