How is LOGGING a way of Life???

Options

Replies

• 29_adjacent
    29_adjacent Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    It's easier for me to log on my laptop than my phone. Been doing it for about 3.5 months and I'm not insane yet.

^This. I find logging on the computer much easier than using the app. But in the beginning, it can take time to add in your recipes, that's for sure.

One thing someone suggested on the forums awhile back was to log recipes as meals - entering each component individually, because that gives you more flexibility with adjusting the amount or ingredients you use when you make it. I find it to be helpful for recipes where I'm making a single serving (like a homemade pizza for one) or cooking for two, because I can just halve the portion sizes. It might make the process less frustrating, and once you've saved it as a meal, it's easy to log.

OMG thank you so much for this! Been logging on MFP for almost 18 months and never once thought of this!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's easier for me to log on my laptop than my phone. Been doing it for about 3.5 months and I'm not insane yet.

Me too. I wouldn't try to input a whole recipe on my phone.

It shouldn't take that long, though--what was the problem?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    OP, try the OLD recipe builder (lower right part on the screen, when viewing from the computer, & def use the computer). It's MUCH easier to use.

This has been my experience too.

The advice about making meals instead of recipes when cooking for 1 or 2 is excellent also. I do that all the time; easier than messing with recipes.

It also does get really easy once you can basically get most stuff out of frequent foods.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    All you need for maintenance is a scale. Weigh yourself every day. If after a week your weight has gone up, then curtail your calories until it gets back down. Simple.

I do a lot of business travel so weighing every day isn't too simple. I also like to pay attention to nutrients while eating out. I haven't seen my regular scale in 3 weeks. I can easily over consume on meals and drinks and I don't mind the logging as long as I am not driving myself crazy doing it. Its really all about having a way for regular monitoring - whether it is a scale or logging in a diary.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    All you need for maintenance is a scale. Weigh yourself every day. If after a week your weight has gone up, then curtail your calories until it gets back down. Simple.

I do a lot of business travel so weighing every day isn't too simple. I also like to pay attention to nutrients while eating out. I haven't seen my regular scale in 3 weeks. I can easily over consume on meals and drinks and I don't mind the logging as long as I am not driving myself crazy doing it. Its really all about having a way for regular monitoring - whether it is a scale or logging in a diary.

Eating out is the worst you can do! Restaurants make the simplest of meals into 2,000 calories. Three times a day, and guess what, you're going to gain weight. Do not the hotels you stay at have a scale somewhere?
  • Leka1000
    Leka1000 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You saying a person doesn't need to log while maintaining??? Okay but im in a deficit and my goal is fat loss...
  • Leka1000
    Leka1000 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

^This. I find logging on the computer much easier than using the app. But in the beginning, it can take time to add in your recipes, that's for sure.

One thing someone suggested on the forums awhile back was to log recipes as meals - entering each component individually, because that gives you more flexibility with adjusting the amount or ingredients you use when you make it. I find it to be helpful for recipes where I'm making a single serving (like a homemade pizza for one) or cooking for two, because I can just halve the portion sizes. It might make the process less frustrating, and once you've saved it as a meal, it's easy to log.

OMG thank you so much for this! Been logging on MFP for almost 18 months and never once thought of this!
    Does the meals option keep your frequent used recipe foods in the food list?
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options

Eating out is the worst you can do! Restaurants make the simplest of meals into 2,000 calories. Three times a day, and guess what, you're going to gain weight. Do not the hotels you stay at have a scale somewhere?

Exactly regarding restaurant meals. But using MFP helps me pick the ones I can fit within my goals on the spot. I have become quite good at it over the last 9 months. With regard to scales, they are in the gym and I like to weigh at a specific time with no clothes on. I have had no change in weight while hitting my calorie numbers so I am ok. Takes me longer to brush my teeth than to log my meals.
  • FitFunFabulousNicole
    Options
    It does become second nature. Today is only my 4th day and I am already starting to reach for my phone before or after I eat something without even realising it. However on the other side if you don't want to count you could always try intuitive eating. Check out josie mai on you tube. Or there are others. I couldn't do it because I need to know what I am eating. But a lot of people have had successes with it. Just a suggestion.

Becky, I love Josie! That is where I want to be one day - I am getting closer though, so that makes me happy
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    OP I used to have a notebook and a book with calories listed in it. This was before computers of course. Talk about a pain in the *kitten*. If you look at MFP like a new game, it's easier to get through the learning curve. The first time I played Mario it took me months. Now I can get through the game in hours. It will get easier, I promise.

btw, I wasn't overweight, I just had to lose the holiday weight every year. Plus I was in high school and we all thought we were "fat".
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,946 Member
    Options

+1

I also use a laptop ... or my computer at work. At lunchtime I'll log in and enter some stuff.

Recipes do take a little longer to enter, but most of the other stuff take just a few minutes.

I've used several other sites, and MFP is the easiest to use so far. :)

• mrssabre113
    mrssabre113 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I only use my phone and it's super easy and not time consuming. Entering recipes are simple.Copy from internet, go to add recipe, enter title, how many servings, paste ingredients and save. It saves it in your recipe section, no need to reenter the same thing over and over.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    4qqt74.jpg

Killface: Why does it say "Welcome to you're 'Doom!'"? What does that even mean, and why, for God's sakes, is "Doom!" in quotes?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    4qqt74.jpg

Killface: Why does it say "Welcome to you're 'Doom!'"? What does that even mean, and why, for God's sakes, is "Doom!" in quotes?

Yes!!!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    4qqt74.jpg

Yes!!!

if you also have an appreciation for Frisky Dingo....feel free to add me! lol
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    How did people ever lose weight before computers & calorie tracking apps?
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging accurately this week and still lost over a pound so I think I'm doin alright
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,946 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

No idea ... I wasn't ever overweight before computers & calorie tracking apps.

Oh ... maybe there's a connection there. :grin:

• 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »

No idea ... I wasn't ever overweight before computers & calorie tracking apps.

Oh ... maybe there's a connection there. :grin:

very good point!