How do you survive parties

Options

Replies

• TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    put what you want to eat on a plate and once it's gone it's gone. don't go hungry. chew gum.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Bring your own food to share. I'm a celiac, and if I don't bring my own, there is often nothing to eat beyond raw veggies.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Realize having fun at the party is more important than my calorie goal and just going with it.
    Only works if you're not at parties 24/7.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that nobody came to the party to watch ME eat.

I think sometimes we feel falsely obligated to eat or drink at parties because we feel that it's the socially correct thing to do. But the truth is, that nobody is really watching ME to see what I did or didn't eat. They are too busy doing their own thing.

When I've taken the time to really watch other people at parties, inevitably there are several that do not drink and others that you do not eat or eat very little. So I need to get over that feeling that I must eat or drink "just to be social." Others dont--why should I?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    The occasional party is not a life-ending experience. Just enjoy it. Even if you overeat, it's not going to hurt you. (unless you're a party animal and get invited to bi-weekly parties, or something). If you really want to stay faithful to the numbers, just stick to small bites of things, and keep to socializing. That's what the party is supposed to be about, after all.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Alcohol was my vice at parties. I've mostly given it up and I stick to the tea and coffee. It takes a long time to drink it and I don't like to eat things with hot drinks so it works well for me. Standing away from the food helps too.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Well, what works for me is the opposite of the people who eat light all day to save room. When I do that, I arrive hungry and will be in grave danger of going overboard after a glass of wine. I eat before I go. Even if pressed for time, I at least grab celery, carrots, etc to eat on the way so I'm not hungry when I arrive. I'll pass on food unless something looks ridiculously amazing. This works great for cocktail parties and open house type affairs. Seated dinners, not so much.

For a dinner party you can swap dinners in the log. E.g. Say the party is Sat night. Log the dinner you have planned for Sunday on Saturday and fill the rest of Saturday accordingly. Log the dinner you actually ate to the best of your ability on Sunday and fill in the rest of Sunday accordingly. It will average out.

Really, the important thing is to have fun, enjoy the company and not stress about what the hostess is serving.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    I love parties. I try and enjoy myself because I'm not on a diet. So if overeat at a party I'll just be mindful of what I eat for the rest of the week. So just go and enjoy the party!
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I eat, drink, dance and enjoy. Don't worry about cals too much, its only 1 day and u have 6 days to make up for it
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Stand next to the fruit. Always have a glass of water in your hand. Allow your self something there you really want!
    Like a cupcake and take 10 mins to eat it.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I do a fair bit of exercise beforehand to give me a nice buffer.

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a wedding this weekend and my intention is to enjoy myself. I won't stuff myself silly for the sake of it but yes I will have quite a few glasses of champagne, all the delicious food that is served and cake. It's one meal. Yes, probably with about a days worth of calories but I've maintained an extra deficit for a few days, I'm hitting the gym before we go and I won't let one night derail me.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    My strategy is to not get invited. Works pretty well too.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'll pre-plan out what I think I'll eat and then adjust my diet accordingly.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »

Lol!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »

Curses! Someone else has stumbled onto my secret strategy! XD

Eating before you go is a really good tip unless you're going to a dinner party. That makes a huge difference. If you can't eat before, pull out your phone and log everything eat either right before or right afterwards. Even if all you do is type into a notepad app. That will remind you of where you are calorie-wise and might help you avoid mindless snacking.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I usually eat and drink too much. This is why I eat a pretty low calorie diet throughout the week.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    One more tip is to bring 2-3 appetizers that you know are made with lighter ingredients. I often bring turkey Asian meatballs, light buffalo dip, and things like mini stuffed peppers. Easy and you know the calorie count. Whenever I have a potluck or party, I always pack a printout of ingredients and calorie count per serving just in case of allergies or other health conscious people. I've recognized in the past 10 years that I'm the only one to do so, but people are often amazed and/or happy that I've taken that step to make sure they're comfortable eating what is provided.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, get back on the wagon the next day.