How to not be one of those "I lost X pounds but then I gained X of it back!"

I see lots of those pop up around here. I'm a few pounds from what I previously said was my goal weight (really, I think I'm at goal at this point). I'm trying to seriously start thinking of what maintainence and recomposition will look like for me.

How do you *not* become a statistic, as they say?

Replies

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    I've been mostly maintaining my weight for about a year now. I've dropped a few pounds here and there as well as picked up a couple of pounds from vacation but mostly it's been maintenance. My advice is to just keep doing what you did to lose the weight. The only thing that's different now is you get to eat more calories.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    You are always going to be a statistic.

I think what people do is slowly add calories back, maybe a hundred or so a week. once you figure out what your "maintenance" level of calories is, stay at that level for a bit. Then I think most people start looking into the recomp.

But I am not there yet and this is just what I understand from reading the forums.

Good luck!
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    the best defense against gaining it all back is staying aware of what you weigh, ie weighing yourself regularly. I didn't let myself get to over 300lbs by being aware of it. If you keep tracking your weight, then you'll notice the pounds if they start to creep back on before it becomes a big problem. Then you can make the necessary changes to get them back off. It's a lot easier to lose 3lbs from a vacation, then 35lbs from not paying attention for 6 months.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Agree w/Josalinn; start slowly adding calories back. You might want/need to change the % on the macros; it will take time and experimentation. Take it slow and see what works for you. I'm eating slightly below what MFP said what was maintenance for me. Been at it for a couple of months and haven't gained anything back (so far). B)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited August 2015
    people tend to talk a good talk about "lifestyle" change, but most do not really understand what that is or what that means and ultimately fail to implement such a change. people tend to look at goal weight as the "finish line" when in reality, they've simply arrived at the starting line of the actual race to be run.

I don't log...haven't logged in over two years and I've maintained by 40 - 50 Lb weight loss just fine. How? My lifestyle is completely different than it was three years ago when I started out. I eat very healthfully...I am admittedly a whole foods/minimally processed foods snob...my diet is very heavy on whole foods. Fruits, veg, whole grains, legumes, lean sourced protein, and healthy fats from things like avocado, nuts, olive oil, etc make up the vast majority of my diet...this is no different than when I was losing weight...the difference between my maintenance and losing weight is a mere handful of calories...a couple extra snacks during the day...that's it.

Where people go wrong here is that they hit goal...the "finish line" and say, "awesome...now I can go back to normal"...that mentality pretty much signals that they've already lost the real race...they don't register that there has to be a new normal...you can't revert to old dietary habits that got you into trouble in the first place.

Beyond that, people tend to fail at fitness...people tend to so closely associate fitness and exercise with losing weight that they fail to recognize fitness for the sake of fitness...you exercise to be fit, not to lose weight...thus you also exercise when in maintenance...because you're doing it for fitness. I still exercise the same as I did when I was losing weight...I ride 60-80 miles per week just like I did then...I lift 2-3 times per week just like I did then...I fit in a 5K run pretty much weekly to cross train just like I did then.

TLDR...people tend to revert back to old dietary habits and cease regular exercise and thus put the weight back on.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    What works for me? Having that # that you won't go above...I lost 50lbs from 2012-2013. Summer of 2013 I was in the best shape of my life and the lowest weight I had been in my adult life. Happy me. So, after doing the whole "I've got this" and never getting back on a scale until Dec. 2014 and having gained about 20lbs, I realized I needed to change my thinking. I lost the 20lbs I re-gained and after that point I said "I must weigh once a week, and if that number goes to or higher than 152, it's time to log again". This way I didn't have to feel I was a slave to MFP forever but it rewarded me when I didn't go overboard. I've been some where between 148 & 152 for about 6 months now, only getting 151.5 2x. 1 week back and logging and I was back in the range. It works for me. It's not disciplined, it's not Type A, but it's working.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    None of us will maintain a "lifestyle change" 100% of the time, without fail, for the rest of our lives. The best we can hope for is to catch ourselves more quickly when we fall. To do that, we need to check our weight regularly, never allowing ourselves to say, "I'll wait till next week, so I can make up for overeating first." It can also be helpful to have someone hold us accountable. Aside from that, it is good to get involved in things that encourage activity. Instead of hanging with the guys who do happy hour every day, hang with the guys who ride bicycles after work. Instead of inviting your friends to eat with you at a restaurant, invite them to have a picnic with you at a park. You can't just quit doing something that is unhealthy you have to replace it with something that is healthy.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    I think the two main things are maintaining healthy habits (viz. Timothy's "you can't just quit doing something that is unhealthy you have to replace it with something that is healthy") and stepping on the scale regularly with the commitment to stay within your weight range.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    I see lots of those pop up around here. I'm a few pounds from what I previously said was my goal weight (really, I think I'm at goal at this point). I'm trying to seriously start thinking of what maintainence and recomposition will look like for me.

How do you *not* become a statistic, as they say?
    That's most of the herd.
    I just don't get it.
    The reasons are usually crash dieting with unsustainable eating habits which stifle metabolism, wreck lean body mass and weaken the will.
    I lost 100 pounds and have maintained going on 3 years.
    Maintenance is every bit as challenging as losing the weight, but so worth it. The key is taking the time to do this slowly.
    Today, I eat around 3500 calories daily, and my metabolism is like a furnace.

I would not sustain my results any other way.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    edited August 2015
    For me, I never dieted. I went into this with the goal of this is a rest of my life level of change & commitment. So I made small incremental changes to my food repertoire & activities which can be sustained for the long haul. I have lost near 40 lbs, maintained for 2 years now, with zero regain.

The key I think is to continue to set goals for yourself. In weight loss it was almost easier because the goal was rather direct & obvious. In maintenance we don't have that. We have to find our own to keep us wanting to continue what we are doing.

Some resort to body building or physique comps. While others aim to do a marathon or 10k. It really doesn't matter what the goal is as long as you have one. It will keep you focused and provide a continued marker of progress.

Here's an abstract which may help, best of luck to you in beating the statistics! :)

Key Behaviors of Long-term Weight Loss Maintainers: Abstract HERE
    “Several key behavior changes that occurred over the year of follow-up also distinguished maintainers from regainers. Not surprisingly, those who regained weight reported significant decreases in their physical activity, increases in their percentage of calories from fat, and decreases in their dietary restraint. Thus, a large part of weight regain may be attributable to an inability to maintain healthy eating and exercise behaviors over time. The findings also underscore the importance of maintaining behavior changes in the long-term maintenance of weight loss.”
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    people tend to talk a good talk about "lifestyle" change, but most do not really understand what that is or what that means and ultimately fail to implement such a change. people tend to look at goal weight as the "finish line" when in reality, they've simply arrived at the starting line of the actual race to be run.

I don't log...haven't logged in over two years and I've maintained by 40 - 50 Lb weight loss just fine. How? My lifestyle is completely different than it was three years ago when I started out. I eat very healthfully...I am admittedly a whole foods/minimally processed foods snob...my diet is very heavy on whole foods. Fruits, veg, whole grains, legumes, lean sourced protein, and healthy fats from things like avocado, nuts, olive oil, etc make up the vast majority of my diet...this is no different than when I was losing weight...the difference between my maintenance and losing weight is a mere handful of calories...a couple extra snacks during the day...that's it.

Where people go wrong here is that they hit goal...the "finish line" and say, "awesome...now I can go back to normal"...that mentality pretty much signals that they've already lost the real race...they don't register that there has to be a new normal...you can't revert to old dietary habits that got you into trouble in the first place.

Beyond that, people tend to fail at fitness...people tend to so closely associate fitness and exercise with losing weight that they fail to recognize fitness for the sake of fitness...you exercise to be fit, not to lose weight...thus you also exercise when in maintenance...because you're doing it for fitness. I still exercise the same as I did when I was losing weight...I ride 60-80 miles per week just like I did then...I lift 2-3 times per week just like I did then...I fit in a 5K run pretty much weekly to cross train just like I did then.

TLDR...people tend to revert back to old dietary habits and cease regular exercise and thus put the weight back on.

THIS THIS THIS THIS!!!!!!

This should be a stickie!!!!

Thank you, @cwolfman13 , could've not summed it any better!
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    As someone who is part of this "statistic" of losing and regaining, I have to say it's not always *just* about hitting the finish line and going back to bad habits, or that you didn't lose weight in a sustainable way. I lost 25 lbs in 2012 and maintained that loss for just over a year.

I can pinpoint the exact moment when my weight started coming back on: my then boyfriend, now husband, and I bought a house and got engaged. I went from living a 15 minute walk from my office, with a gym in our apartment building that was included in our rent, to a 40 minute commute in the suburbs and nothing but a yoga mat. Since we bought a house at the top of our budget I had no room for a gym membership, and also no convenient way to get there as we only share 1 car. I also had to plan a wedding, which for me took up a lot of free time, and money. So fitness went on the back burner, and gradually my eating habits got worse and worse.

I've now lost that weight again, but I had to figure out my fitness goals in an entirely different way. I bought a second hand treadmill and got some dumbbells and workout dvd's. I workout at home, but it's different than it was the first time. I know we will be in our current living situation for a long time, so I don't see any reason why I won't be able to maintain this time.

All I can say is watch out for major life events or changes in your living condition. You truly have to make it a priority, and definitely always be aware of your weight and what you're eating.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    As someone who is part of this "statistic" of losing and regaining, I have to say it's not always *just* about hitting the finish line and going back to bad habits, or that you didn't lose weight in a sustainable way. I lost 25 lbs in 2012 and maintained that loss for just over a year.

I can pinpoint the exact moment when my weight started coming back on: my then boyfriend, now husband, and I bought a house and got engaged. I went from living a 15 minute walk from my office, with a gym in our apartment building that was included in our rent, to a 40 minute commute in the suburbs and nothing but a yoga mat. Since we bought a house at the top of our budget I had no room for a gym membership, and also no convenient way to get there as we only share 1 car. I also had to plan a wedding, which for me took up a lot of free time, and money. So fitness went on the back burner, and gradually my eating habits got worse and worse.

I've now lost that weight again, but I had to figure out my fitness goals in an entirely different way. I bought a second hand treadmill and got some dumbbells and workout dvd's. I workout at home, but it's different than it was the first time. I know we will be in our current living situation for a long time, so I don't see any reason why I won't be able to maintain this time.

All I can say is watch out for major life events or changes in your living condition. You truly have to make it a priority, and definitely always be aware of your weight and what you're eating.
  • angelaraedesigns
    angelaraedesigns Posts: 68 Member
    great discussion, thanks for putting the question out there and for all the thoughtful feedback. bumpity bump bump bump!
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited August 2015
    What works for me? Having that # that you won't go above...I lost 50lbs from 2012-2013. Summer of 2013 I was in the best shape of my life and the lowest weight I had been in my adult life. Happy me. So, after doing the whole "I've got this" and never getting back on a scale until Dec. 2014 and having gained about 20lbs, I realized I needed to change my thinking. I lost the 20lbs I re-gained and after that point I said "I must weigh once a week, and if that number goes to or higher than 152, it's time to log again". This way I didn't have to feel I was a slave to MFP forever but it rewarded me when I didn't go overboard. I've been some where between 148 & 152 for about 6 months now, only getting 151.5 2x. 1 week back and logging and I was back in the range. It works for me. It's not disciplined, it's not Type A, but it's working.

This is (going to be) my strategy too: I am not logging consistently at the moment, but I am weighing myself every day, so if my weight starts going up (as it did over the holiday, by nearly 3 kgs) I know to do something, and can log again, or just cut back. I know what too much feels like now! Too many 2 or 3 course meals with wine and the odd cooked breakfast, and those kgs start creeping back up.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Simple - don't make drastic changes you cannot sustain in the long term. Eat everything, just less of it. Move more.

People who go on elimination diets are statistically doomed to fail, same with any program that goes against one's nature.

When you hit your deficit goal, transition to maintenance and change your goals to fitness performance to stay motivated. If you have a goal of weight loss only, what is that next step going to be? Need to put all this in your overall strategy. Those who rebound don't do this. Those who lose it and keep it off do.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, exercise daily. (Also, don't get injured :/ It's true that if you account for the lost calorie burn, you shouldn't regain, but in real-world situations, it doesn't always work out that way, just because of how we are -like it's tricky if exercise helped w appetite regulation, or you lose your head for a bit bc you're sad bc you can't do things you loved anymore or aren't mobile :/) But really, even if you do everything right, things can happen in life that might take you off-track. Just keep getting back on the horse, every time.

Also, pick a cue to monitor things. And don't let yourself rationalize around it. E.g. a number on the scale or clothing - when you have to go up a size, it's time to tighten things up again. (But make a deal with your future self that those are firm metrics. It's not that you're bloated, or that all your clothes shrunk in the wash at the same time.)
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    edited August 2015
    weight can going move in only two directions, up or down. You can never be statistic, even my cat never weighs the same, maintaining is all about ups and downs, something we have no choice but to live with.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    This one's easy...stay connected to the scale. It amazes me to read when people post that they are "surprised" to have gained back 40 pounds....they had no idea. Really? Use the tools that got you to goal and keep them in your toolbelt. Since my "intuitive eating" sensor is broken, I have to journal...and by now, it is a habit anyway. So why not step on the scale at LEAST once a month?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Spiderkeys wrote: »
    You can never be statistic, even my cat never weighs the same
    You're confusing static with statistic. You're correct in that weight isn't static. Weight fluctuations are normal.

Josalinn is correct in pointing out, you are always going to be a statistic. There's a statistic that's often posted on the MFP forums. It states:

95% of the people that lose weight eventually gain all the weight back.

Conversely,

5% of the people that lose the weight keep the weight off for the long term.

Whether you keep the weight off or put it back on you are are part of the statistics. The goal of course is to be in the 5% group of the statistics.

On some level I'm driven by that statistic. Years ago I lost over a hundred pounds and was quite proud of my accomplishment. A coworker said to me, "it's great that you lost all that weight, but you'll probably put it all back on. Just so you know 95% percent of the people that lose the weight put it back on again." Thanks for the support buddy.

In other words he was saying, You're going to fail. I don't like being told I'm going to fail. In fact I hate being told I'm going to fail. I dislike it so much that I work hard to be in the 5%. Eventually life may get in the way and I could end up failing. If that happens I'll get back on track and keep going. Real failure is when you stop trying to improve yourself.