How often should I weigh myself?

Hey all!

Before I started this app I prefered weighing in at the end of the week on fridays. After Starting this app I see it gives me the option for a current daily weight for the diary. What do you guys do?

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    This is a question that is literally asked daily, so you might want to search the archives. It is my sense from prior threads that most people weigh, but don't necessarily record, daily. However, a significant minority find that they over-react to the day to day fluctuations of the scale - their day is ruined if the scale ticks up a pound or two. Those people tend to weigh weekly or even less often. I think few people use this program to record weight daily. If you are going to record daily, do it in Trendweight, or Libra or a similar app that calculatesa trendline, so you can see the big picture and not day to day noise.
  • RoadtotheRAN
    RoadtotheRAN Posts: 55 Member
    I weigh myself once a month
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    It depends.

If you don't have any issues (mentally) with weighing then you could weigh in daily and take an average of those daily weights across the week. Then compare week to week averages to get an idea of which direction your weight is trending.

Averaging those daily values will smooth out the day to day fluctuations that occur naturally.

That being said, if you get a bit stressed out seeing those day to day fluctuations then that's a good reason to weigh in less frequently, in which case you'd want to strike a balance between getting enough data points (weigh in values) and not exposing yourself to that stress too often.

An alternative could be to select 2 or 3 days per week that you weigh in, but keep those steady from week to week and weigh under identical circumstances.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    @balboabilly this is one thing you get to do the way you want when you want it. I weigh right before bed and a couple times the first thing when I get up as my weight is changing fast first thing each morning. I do log the numbers since that is how I track my calories after the fact. :)
  • Losinandmovin
    Losinandmovin Posts: 188 Member
    I weigh Sunday morning. Once a week is all I can do-- those day to day fluctuations wreck havoc on my emotions, so I don't go near the scale except on Sunday morning.
  • half12345
    half12345 Posts: 51 Member
    I skip if I had a pig out day but for the most part, I weigh myself daily. I only weigh myself first thing in the morning and only go by my own scale. I'm sure it's not the most accurate scale but it tells me if I've gained or lost.
  • Tismesz
    Tismesz Posts: 4 Member
    I weigh myself everyday. 8 years ago I lost 50 lbs on Weight Watchers and weighed myself daily.
    Life and getting cocky thinking I'd never be fat again brought me here.
    I like seeing how I'm doing everyday up or down