Question about rest between sets

Options
I have recently started strength training using free weights I have at home.

I have been using strength workouts on fitnessblender.com just to get me off a starting point, and then intend to move on to a more substantial strength routine.

My question is about the importance of the duration of rest periods between sets. Because the weights I am using are kind of awkward, and I need to change the weight for different exercises, my rest periods between sets are longer than the 20 second rest periods in the video.

So I was wondering how important these rest periods are, and if I'm doing anything seriously wrong by taking rest periods of 40 - 50 seconds, while I'm changing the weights on my dumbbells.

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I rest 60 seconds minimum between sets
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes, the rest breaks matter. Those type of workouts are designed to keep you moving at a quick pace with just enough breaks to catch your breath during the transition. Try to do what you can to keep up
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You could try supersetting if you want something different. Instead of just doing one set with say 10-15 reps, do three at a time. So for example if your doing a shoulder day, do shoulder press 10-15 reps or whatever reps your doing, then immediately with no break do say military press with the same amount of reps, then do front raises again with the same amount of reps. And you can even add a fourth if you want. You'll be getting triple the amount of reps and your shoulders will be burning. Do four to five sets of this and you shouldn't have to do anything else. And by doing the supersetting you need an extra minute or two anyway for a quick recovery. This will give you time to make your weight change if you need to. I use to superset at the gym on the days I didn't have as much time as other days. You can get a better workout supersetting then taking breaks in between sets. Good luck to you.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals and to some extent it depends on the exercise selection (or at least it should).

If you are trying to burn more calories in a short period of time, or build metabolic stress, or you are trying to develop your ability to perform exercises in rapid succession then shorter rest times will be an important variable.

If your goal is maximal strength development or maximal hypertrophy then I would rest until you are ready to lift.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    It depends on your goals and to some extent it depends on the exercise selection (or at least it should).

If you are trying to burn more calories in a short period of time, or build metabolic stress, or you are trying to develop your ability to perform exercises in rapid succession then shorter rest times will be an important variable.

If your goal is maximal strength development or maximal hypertrophy then I would rest until you are ready to lift.
    this
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options

Agree here too.
    Just take into consideration that "timed" rest periods between may not be enough if you're out of shape to begin with. I don't have a client who's new and been sedentary, resting only 20 seconds between squats if they're obviously winded. We rest and restart when I can gauge it's doable again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ellarishee
    ellarishee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the helpful advice!

I started strength training less for the calorie burn and more so for the latter.
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Agree here too.
    Just take into consideration that "timed" rest periods between may not be enough if you're out of shape to begin with. I don't have a client who's new and been sedentary, resting only 20 seconds between squats if they're obviously winded. We rest and restart when I can gauge it's doable again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm finding that the format of the workouts are a little awkward because I do need to change my weight for each exercise. For example, one set is composed of two exercises (a squat and a deadlift), in an ABAB format. I use more weight for the deadlift, so I need to add more to dumbbells. But because the only plates I have to add on are of a low weight, I have to had to 2 to each dumbbell so it's just very time consuming.

So if I do the squat, 10 reps then you're supposed to take a 20 second 'active' rest, and then do ten reps deadlift. Then I have to take it OFF again for the squat, etc. So needing to change the weight between each exercise, it totally messes up those rest periods.

I'm finding that by the time I get back in to after changing the dumbbells, I feel as though I have taken a longer break than needed!

Would it matter if I changed each set to an AABB format so that I only need to change my weight once?

• jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing rest pause training. I have a similar approach when focusing on hypertrophy. So for my shoulders I will do 3 sets of 6-8 reps of overhead dumbbell press (example only) - rest for 20 seconds in between each set then after 3rd set that's one complete set. Repeat that x3. You could do that for your exercises without having to keep changing weight, just do your squats then same principle for deadlift.