Lifting weights at home? Help needed!

Hi everyone. Just need a little guidance, I've been on MFP a while now and have reached my goal weight of 112lbs (I'm 5'4") which I've done through changing my diet and exercising, which I tend to do at home as I work full time and have a 2 year old (I exercise once he has gone to bed as that's the only chance I get!). I have been doing Focus T25 and have completed the Alpha, Beta and Gamma phases, and now I choose workouts from the Gamma programme and do them a few times a week. Whilst I have noticed I have got more toned, especially since doing the Gamma programme which uses hand weights (I use 3kg weights in each hand), I can't help thinking that I will only get the results I want if I lift heavier than this (which I can't do with this programme as it's too fast as it's a mixture of cardio and weights). I'm a bit of a beginner really, so any advice on what I can / should do at home is much appreciated? Thanks in advance x

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    For home workouts your best bet is probably a bodyweight workout, because you'd need a whole range of weights if you want to start weightlifting, which is quite the investment.

Good programs are:
    - nerdfitness beginners routine
    - You are your own gym
    - Convict conditioning
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    The thing is, your body adapts, so the danger of doing the same routine for too long means you will find yourself plateauing and not making much progress. Perhaps mix up your routine, try something a little more challenging. My friend did Insanity and it really worked for him! I gave it a go and it's all body weight/cardio. Try it!

• jacklfc88
    OP doesn't need to lose more weight right now, she's already at a low (although healthy) weight. Thus cardio is not necessarily the best option.

OP, I agree about seeking out bodyweight exercises that enable progressive loads. You don't need to change up your routine as long as you are changing up the challenge level and making sure it still challenges you. Nerdfitness is a great place to start. If you are interested in weights, I would still read their sections on weight and also look at a book like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, and Stronglifts. I have a set of weights at home (barbell, squat rack, bench, etc), but it is both an investment and occupies a lot of spaces. It's really fun though!

To clarify, what I meant was training is all about progression. If you do same routine week in week out and don't add progressive loads then you will plateau as your body adapts.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 wrote: »
    OP doesn't need to lose more weight right now, she's already at a low (although healthy) weight. Thus cardio is not necessarily the best option.

OP, I agree about seeking out bodyweight exercises that enable progressive loads. You don't need to change up your routine as long as you are changing up the challenge level and making sure it still challenges you. Nerdfitness is a great place to start. If you are interested in weights, I would still read their sections on weight and also look at a book like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, and Stronglifts. I have a set of weights at home (barbell, squat rack, bench, etc), but it is both an investment and occupies a lot of spaces. It's really fun though!

To clarify, what I meant was training is all about progression. If you do same routine week in week out and don't add progressive loads then you will plateau as your body adapts.
    You can do the same routine week in and week out as long as you add progressive loads. That's what most weight training routines are. I was drawing the distinction between the two.

And whatever the case, she's not going to gain muscle mass on Insanity.

Of course not. The impression I got from the OP was that they have reached their target weight but want to increase tone. Only way to do that is by reducing body fat.
  • AsISmile

You can do the same routine week in and week out as long as you add progressive loads. That's what most weight training routines are. I was drawing the distinction between the two.

And whatever the case, she's not going to gain muscle mass on Insanity.

Of course not. The impression I got from the OP was that they have reached their target weight but want to increase tone. Only way to do that is by reducing body fat.

Reducing bodyfat without increasing muscle is losing weight... And since OP is at a good weight that is not the way to go.
    Recomp is the way to go, where you lose fat, increase muscle and thus maintain the same weight.
  • bernie69
    bernie69 Posts: 1 Member
    Bodybuilding.com they have all types of routines just fill out the profile and it will point you in a good direction. Also check out books by muscle and fitness women or is it hers.
  • ElPasoMark
    ElPasoMark Posts: 47 Member
    This is what I do at home with just dumbbells-

http://www.building-muscle101.com/dumbbell_workout_beginner.html

Cheers,

Mark
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hi everyone. Just need a little guidance, I've been on MFP a while now and have reached my goal weight of 112lbs (I'm 5'4") which I've done through changing my diet and exercising, which I tend to do at home as I work full time and have a 2 year old (I exercise once he has gone to bed as that's the only chance I get!). I have been doing Focus T25 and have completed the Alpha, Beta and Gamma phases, and now I choose workouts from the Gamma programme and do them a few times a week. Whilst I have noticed I have got more toned, especially since doing the Gamma programme which uses hand weights (I use 3kg weights in each hand), I can't help thinking that I will only get the results I want if I lift heavier than this (which I can't do with this programme as it's too fast as it's a mixture of cardio and weights). I'm a bit of a beginner really, so any advice on what I can / should do at home is much appreciated? Thanks in advance x

What is your exact goal then, just get "toned"? If you're doing what you're doing managing your nutrition in a means that allows for body-fat reduction you'll get more toned. If you want to be stronger and more functional in addition to managing your desired body-composition, then a true strength-training program will be needed.

You might be able to buy a set of variable dumbbells a bench that moves up-and-down and start with something like that but eventually you'll probably want more and need to invest in some equipment. If you're married perhaps this is something you can get him into as well and make that purchase as it would benefit you both.
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

What is your exact goal then, just get "toned"? If you're doing what you're doing managing your nutrition in a means that allows for body-fat reduction you'll get more toned. If you want to be stronger and more functional in addition to managing your desired body-composition, then a true strength-training program will be needed.

You might be able to buy a set of variable dumbbells a bench that moves up-and-down and start with something like that but eventually you'll probably want more and need to invest in some equipment. If you're married perhaps this is something you can get him into as well and make that purchase as it would benefit you both.

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses they all help a lot :) I'm looking at getting both more toned and stronger, but agree I don't need to lose more weight as I'm at the lower end of healthy already. I still have a bit of fat to lose round my abdomen (baby belly) but its definitely way better now than before. But other than that I couldn't stand to lose more weight without looking ill. So my question is really just where to start with increasing the weights without hurting myself. I'm married and my husband has been doing the DVDs with me which has been a huge help for motivation, but both of us are bored of doing te same workouts which we've done for the best part of 9 months now. Looking for something more challenging and don't mind making some investment in weights as long as I'm going to benefit from it. Will check out the sites you've all mentioned!

Nutritionally, if I'm wanting to lose (belly) fat at the same time as gaining muscle, at what calorie level should I be at per day? I currently eat at maintenance (1500 per MFP) plus I eat back my exercise calories and I maintain anywhere between 110-112 lbs. Thanks again everyone :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited August 2015
    Adjustable dumbbells might be a good investment. I bought plate loadable ones, and is wish I had the adjustable ones. That'd be a good place to start. A basic beginner program that focuses on the compound lifts would be good, too. Fitnessblender.com also has some really nice videos, if you just want to try a few things out. Id you're willing to spend a bit more, you could go all out with a bar, plates, bench and rack. I am so glad I have all of those things. I am currently,following the Strong Curves program, with some modifications because of my equipment limitations, and I like it a lot.

As for nutrition, I'd say continue to eat around maintenance. The changes may be slow and take awhile to notice, but that's probably the best way to go.
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Adjustable dumbbells might be a good investment. I bought plate loadable ones, and is wish I had the adjustable ones. That'd be a good place to start. A basic beginner program that focuses on the compound lifts would be good, too. Fitnessblender.com also has some really nice videos, if you just want to try a few things out. Id you're willing to spend a bit more, you could go all out with a bar, plates, bench and rack. I am so glad I have all of those things. I am currently,following the Strong Curves program, with some modifications because of my equipment limitations, and I like it a lot.

As for nutrition, I'd say continue to eat around maintenance. The changes may be slow and take awhile to notice, but that's probably the best way to go.

That's brill, thanks for the advice. I'll give the adjustable dumbbells a go to start with and see how it goes and will look into getting more equipment as I get used to the beginner programmes - will take a look at Fitnessblender and give the videos a go. Just at the stage where I'm bored with the workouts I do but don't want to stop. I think I get plenty of cardio running around after a 2 year old so I do feel weights would be better for me :) x
  • jacklfc88
    Yeah if you're bored you defo need to mix it up a bit. Nothing worse than not enjoying your training. I wish I had a home gym, that's what I'd love eventually but it is a big investment. Have a look at a group called LDNM they have some fantastic workouts for both men and women looking to progress and reach your goals.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    TRX straps may be helpful, too. They don't take up much space, use your own body weight, and there are tons of different exercises you can do. And a knock-off brand is much cheaper. This way, your hubby and you could use the same equipment and vary your intensity without having a huge amount of gear.
    P.S.-I LOVE TRX, so I am partial to it :-)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses they all help a lot :) I'm looking at getting both more toned and stronger, but agree I don't need to lose more weight as I'm at the lower end of healthy already. I still have a bit of fat to lose round my abdomen (baby belly) but its definitely way better now than before. But other than that I couldn't stand to lose more weight without looking ill. So my question is really just where to start with increasing the weights without hurting myself. I'm married and my husband has been doing the DVDs with me which has been a huge help for motivation, but both of us are bored of doing te same workouts which we've done for the best part of 9 months now. Looking for something more challenging and don't mind making some investment in weights as long as I'm going to benefit from it. Will check out the sites you've all mentioned!

Nutritionally, if I'm wanting to lose (belly) fat at the same time as gaining muscle, at what calorie level should I be at per day? I currently eat at maintenance (1500 per MFP) plus I eat back my exercise calories and I maintain anywhere between 110-112 lbs. Thanks again everyone :)

If your husband is interested as well, then you may want to make an investment in some equipment. Probably a full rack that you can also put a bench inside of, an olympic barbel, a mini-olympic barbell, maybe adjustable DB's, and plates for the barbells. It's something that can last forever essentially.
  • AsISmile

What you want is a recomp (body recomposition, check the maintenance forum for a great thread on that).
    I'd advice you to keep eating at maintenance and eat back exercise calories. Making sure you get about 0.8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight will help with building your muscles.
    Besides that, a good progressive overload program where the exercises get "heavier" over time.