Losing Hope

Options
2»

Replies

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Read this link and all of the blue links in the middle. If you really want to do this, and this works, you have to invest time, and research. This is a great place to begin:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • slambago
    slambago Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I work out 2-3 a week more if I can, try to eat somewhat healthy and watch my calories, but I seem to be gaining weight. Feeling very defeated at this time.

Here's what works for me in my life, try it and see if it works for you:
    Don't work out X days per week. Instead, work out a little bit every single day, even if only a few minutes. Try to develop DAILY habits, not x times/week habits. Do this in all areas of your life, develop daily habits and become a habit-minding person. Then, just one step at a time, build on your successes and push yourself a little more. Don't punish yourself for failure. Instead, always try to see simply following modest daily habits as a massive, epic success. Reward yourself for doing so, but never with food or with drinks that have calories. Instead, find other ways to reward yourself, like verbally rewarding yourself by thinking things like "YEAH! I am awesome! I am becoming the person I want to be, it's really happening right in front of my eyes! I followed my daily habits for 10 days in a row! Calling all negative thoughts: Shut up and let me enjoy this moment!" One of my new habits is logging everything I eat in MyFitnessPal diary, it's working well for me.

(Note that I still agree off days are important for recovery, so I do very light and relatively brief exercise on off days -- but I still keep the daily exercise habit.)

Human beings can become incredibly strong, mentally and physically, by improving just one tiny step day by day, and you can too! I don't even know you, but I genuinely admire that you went to the trouble of posting on the forum when things got difficult, instead of simply giving up without a fight!
  • Sewilban
    Sewilban Posts: 43 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    In addition to weighing solid food and accurately/honestly tracking nutrition (not just calories), my advice is to pay attention to the ingredients in the food you're eating. Unless it's a natural food (fruit, veggies, nuts), it could be loaded with sugar, which at the end of the day is the biggest opponent to losing weight. The WHO recommends no more than 30g of sugar in a day (fyi: there's 30g sugar in one small bag of M&Ms) because excess fructose intake causes visceral fat cells to rapidly mature - which is directly tied to belly fat.

The bad news: sugar is hiding in most processed/packaged products and it goes by many names. The food industry's marketing experts have done a fantastic job of posing "raw cane sugar" and other healthy-sounding names as "good" sugars, but truth be told, sugar is sugar is sugar. With the exception of sugar found in fruits and vegetables (which have the adequate amount of fiber needed to aid in digestion and prevent the sugar from turning into insulin), there is no such thing as good sugar. Be on the lookout for these ingredients on food packages before you eat what's inside:
    • barley malt
    • beet sugar
    • molasses
    • brown rice syrup
    • brown sugar
    • cane juice
    • caramel
    • carob syrup
    • castor sugar
    • crystaline fructose
    • date sugar
    • demerera sugar
    • dextran
    • diastatic malt
    • diataste
    • ethyl maltol
    • evaporated cane juice
    • fructose
    • galactose
    • glucose
    • maltodextrin
    • muscovado sugar
    • panela
    • sorghum
    • sucrose
    • treacle

This is by no means a comprehensive list, but you get the idea. Pretty much be wary of anything ending in "-ose" and a good rule of thumb that I follow is if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it. There's a really great documentary called "Fed Up" with Katie Couric that delves into a lot more detail than I can on this forum - it's available for streaming on Netflix or for purchase on Amazon Instant Video.

I know it sounds kind of daunting to think of cutting back on sugar, but I started slowly cutting back about a year ago and have seen a drastic improvement since: lost waist inches, lost pounds, and increased my run pace. And by no means do I eat fewer calories, just less sugar. If it helps, here's a real-world idea of how you can eat a low-sugar diet without cutting back on food in general (my personal food log from yesterday): two cups of black coffee + two eggs + 85g apple-chicken sausage link + 1 tbsp butter for breakfast; banana for mid-morning snack; 4-oz chicken breast + 2 tbsp bbq sauce + 8-oz sweet potato + salad with tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, 1/4 avocado, 1/8-cup crumbled pecans, 1 tbsp olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon juice with salt for lunch; 2 cups "Heavenly Light Popcorn" for mid-afternoon snack; jalapeno kielbasa + baked tomatoes, mushrooms, and red onion with 1 tbsp basil-infused olive oil + 5-oz glass of wine for dinner. All of that comes to 40g sugar, but if you take out the sugar that came from fruits and veggies, that's only 14g sugar that came from processed foods.

Anyway, I know that's probably a lot more info than you were looking for, but hope it helps!

(Oh, one more thing! Water is key - aim to drink half of your body weight in ounces of water every day; i.e. 150lbs = 75oz.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Sewilban wrote: »
    Unless it's a natural food (fruit, veggies, nuts), it could be loaded with sugar, which at the end of the day is the biggest opponent to losing weight.

The biggest opponent to losing weight is not eating at a deficit. If cutting added sugar introduces a deficit, then it will result in weight loss. But if one is eating at a deficit, added sugar will not prevent one from losing weight.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Where there is breath there is always hope
  • schmittou731
    schmittou731 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone, I only log my food on here but its just a guess. I will get a scale this weekend and starting weighing my food. I find that I eat more when I am at home sitting around. I stay busy at work but sit behind a desk all day. I want to make changes in everything I do. Before I wouldn't even reach the 1200 calories but seems like since I have been trying to reach the goal is when I have seen the weight gain. As far as my workouts I will do about 30 min cardio then strength training alternating between my arms and legs. I will not give up and keep fighting. Thank You