Need some brofitness support

Options
wsupbrah
wsupbrah Posts: 12 Member
edited August 2015 in Motivation and Support
Add me! 41 and holding onto 30 pounds of extra flab. Could use other guys to help keep me motivated, in the gym, and away from cheese... and ice cream... and whiskey.

lelnggu097cj.jpg

Replies

• Gino_74
    Gino_74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Same here Man - 41 yo 25pc bfm!
  • freeza12
    freeza12 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey mates,

What are your goals? Do you have any?

I find having a specific goal with specific time frame is a huge help.

For example, I'm off to Spain in 10 week's time and I want visible abs. So I can budget and plan for that goal.
  • wsupbrah
    Options
    Haha - visible abs is way out of my reach! At least for now. My goal is to feel comfortable shirtless for my vacation in October. So far, so good - but I have to stay very vigilant between now and then.

Good luck with those abs!
  • freeza12
    Options
    Do you have a weight goal? Having any struggles currently?
  • wsupbrah
    Options
    Goal is 200 lbs (25 to lose), but just got started. Biggest hurdle has been not seeing progress faster or stalling out for a day. What are your hurdles and how do you overcome them?
  • zac775
    zac775 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me mate always happy to help
  • freeza12
    Options
    When I started watching my weight, the biggest hurdle for me was shaking bad habits. This was overcome by education – I never realised how much of a negative impact sugar could have on your health/weight, and I never realised how much sugar and fat was in most foods I was eating. So the first thing I learnt to do was read the nutritional information on all food items and set myself a threshold for each item – no food with >5% sugar, for example.
    But the app definitely helps with that.
    Once I educated myself, the next thing was to ensure I didn’t slip in my discipline. It’s so easy to say ‘Oh I’ll have a cheat day’ or ‘It’s only one cookie’, but these things add up, and suddenly it’s every other day a cheat day and you get into the mindset that because you went to the gym, you deserve a cheeseburger. It doesn’t work like that, and these are the people you see ‘yoyoing’ or maintaining their weight.
    Discipline to say no is the hardest thing.
    How I overcame this is two fold:
    Dedicate yourself two weeks of the diet you want to stick to. From experience it takes two weeks of true dieting before you actually see positive results. This is difficult, but if you are following a proper diet, you definitely will see results.
    Observe physical results, not what the scales tell you. For me the biggest tell is the number of veins that protrude in my forearms – it gives me a true idea of what body fat % I am, whereas scales can fluctuate day to day. Find some other physical factor like your belt tightness that can allow you to track your true weight.
    After the two weeks, seeing the results is what should inspire you to continue your regime. If you lost two kilos in that time and noticed a looseness in your trousers, imagine what you’ll see in another two weeks. And two months. What’s the end goal? It’s within reach, this should be motivating, and suddenly partaking in the ‘occasional’ glass of wine that you’ll forget and regret the next day isn’t such a good idea. The end goal is the pay-off, and short-term goals will not fulfil you.
    The second part is to actually enjoy yourself. I found it hard to stick to eating less, so I found susbstitute foods. I discovered frozen chicken breast – this is £4 per kilo. I oven cook that with a bottle of sauce, and it comes to approximately 500 cal for half a kilo of mostly protein. This fills me and I enjoy it, it’s cost effective and healthy.
    That is one example of a food substitute that works for me – you need to find yours.
    What are your vices? What makes you fail? Subsitute and learn to love alternatives.
    I could go on, but this is a start 
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you don't think 47 is too old...LOL. I've been doing this 4+ years on MFP, and I'll be happy to help any way that I can. I like to eat and drink beer - I pretty much eat what I want but stay consistent with my overall goals on a weekly basis. I mainly count calories and exercise and I have maintained my weight for 1 1/2 years now. My diary is always open as well.
  • jerzymike
    jerzymike Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    .i use go crazy trying to loose weight.6 meals a day,mma training. Nothing was working.I have been doing intermittent fasting for 3 days n lost 5 pds so far.no shakes,no crazy workouts. Best part ,its free
  • webbz
    webbz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me lads - I'm looking to get to 200lbs and I'm 72lbs away at the moment!! Need to avoid beer and cider !!!
  • freeza12
    Options
    Just on that last post - how do you guys fit beer and cider into your lives?
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Regarding beer and alcohol in general, I try to be honest with my logging. I know there are certain nights I will go over, sometimes way over. I will, within reason, push some of the calorie overage to the following day and eat less / burn more. I have always tried to put my calorie goals in a weekly overall package, so I don't get too exasperated on days when I exceed my goal. This might not work for everyone but it is something that has been successful over the long term for me.
  • freeza12
    Options
    Yeah fair call. I did read somewhere that due to the makeup of the calories in alcohol - most come from literally the alcohol - you won't put on weight if you're purely boozing. Alcoholics, for example, can be very thin. When you're drinking your body shelves the burning of your food calories to concentrate on the alcohol calories, and that's where you end up putting on the weight. Something like that.

Not saying eat nothing when you drink, but there's a bit more science behind it than counting calories.