I read a thread about oatmeal cookies, but I want to talk about beer

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Drat. I posted on the wrong thread, too.

Beer's not my thing. But Really Good Chocolate cured me from the cheap stuff...and bingeing.

IMG_3124.JPG
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    No a fan of craft beers but I can definitely get into some Wild Blue and lemonade during the summer. Haven't tried or seen Wild Red yet in bars around here but when I do I'm going to nab it.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've had a hard time finding decent lambics. Not sure if they just aren't distributed in my area but I'm sure you get better lambics in the UK

Oh for sure, we get a fair bit of Cantillon brought over from Belgium. My favourite brewery, actually!

With regard to beer calories, I actually currently write tasting notes for a living so I have to try a lot of beer (such a hard life!) and I'm working with a fairly low calorie diet so I generally split the bottles with my partner. Lucky him! I've got a pale ale & IPA chilling in the fridge for after dinner, cannot wait to crack them open. You know you're a MFPer when you weigh how much beer is left with the sediment in the bottom of the bottle and subtract it from the calorie count for the 330ml bottle ;)

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I had a Cantillon in Massachusetts and loved it. They just don't really distribute here. I think our "lambics" have too much fruit to hide the fact that the wild yeast isn't as good as that from Belgium.

On a side note, I actually sell legal services. I just love beer. I finally got my husband to drink decent beer. He was a rum and coke drinker before.
  • enterdanger
    Options
    Has anyone else here tried the "Not Your Father's Root beer?" I'm not the hugest rootbeer fan and wanted to hate a rootbeer masquerading as a beer, but it was actually pretty good. I can only drink one though. So sweet.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Bells Two Hearted! Yummy!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Love New Glarus! I was up in WI a few weeks ago and stocked up on Spotted Cow, Two Women, and their Pumpkin Pie beer.

I tend to prefer wheat beers over hoppier IPA's. Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat is my all time favorite, but I'm partial to KC.
  • enterdanger
    Options
    Bells just started distributing in Delaware in June. I've tried the Oarsman Ale, the Two Hearted, and the Oberon. Liked them all. I see from their site they make a wild fermented brown ale. I'd love to get my hands on that.
  • kbaker001
    kbaker001 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else here tried the "Not Your Father's Root beer?" I'm not the hugest rootbeer fan and wanted to hate a rootbeer masquerading as a beer, but it was actually pretty good. I can only drink one though. So sweet.

We made floats with it.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options

I just tried this yesterday. (Few sips) And it was great. And I hate root beer, so that tells you something.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I drink mostly local stuff, we have some pretty decent breweries around here with a wide Variety. Community, Peticolas, and Lakewood being some of the best. Aside from that one of my favorite Breweries would have to be Avery. I'm excited to be able to attend a Beer Pairing dinner that will be sampling 8 different Avery Beers paired with an 8 course meal at a fine dining establishment in Down Town Fort Worth.. magic... it's going to be magic. I tend to be into the Quads, Tripels, and Barleywines. They make me happy... Or maybe it's tipsy.. probably a little bit of both...
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    @tincanonastring come on over the Commodore Barry and take 95S to 322 (towards West Chester) to 452 to concord rd. There is a new brewery here called 2SP brewing. They were just a brewpub with great food and other people's beer called 2 Stones brew pub in Delaware and they just opened their breweries tasting room about 2 weeks ago. Their head brewer is Bob Barrar from Iron Hill. I would say the brewery is maybe 15 minutes off the commodore barry. They have some really nice beers. They have a DIPA called bellcracker that is fabulous and two nice saisons. They also do a Delco lager that is drinkable but I would have liked more malts.

Oh, and victory's summer ale was great this year. so good after cutting the grass on a hot day.

Hmmm...I'll add it to the list! Thanks for the tip! Flying Fish is within 10 miles from my house. Not sure if you've ever tried them, but I'm a fan.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are date-nighting to this next week for anyone in the Philly area. The Mutter is a museum of medical history and it's quite macabre. They have a botanical garden of medicinal plants (I'm sure I phrased that incorrectly) and the brewery featured in the pop-up is debuting a brew based on some of the plants in the garden. It's a fennel and ginger saison. I'm giddy with anticipation.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/food_department/Mutter-Museum-to-host-pop-up-beer-garden-debut-exclusive-brew-Umlaut-Fever.html
  • enterdanger
    Options
    Ümlaut Fever. lol. I've had flying fish a few times. Most recently I had the farmhouse summer ale. I thought it was just ok.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Local #1 craft beer - Toppling Goliath in Decorah Iowa...Pseudo Sue is amazing

New Glarus and Bells Two Hearted Ale = delish

Oskar makes a few good ones too.

Stone "Enjoy By" IPA is probably my favorite 'readily available' craft brew.