I have been eating healthy and Gained 6 pounds Please help

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    freeza12 wrote: »
    Eating back calories after you've exercised is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Two part: Why in god's name do you bother exercising if you're going to put the calories back in? What a waste of time, effort and money!
    Secondly, it's highly likely you're eating much more than you exercised. For example, half an hour on the bike equals one slice of pizza.

Weight loss ain't easy and you have a big hill to climb - you can't trick the weight off, so stop kidding yourself and get serious.

I ate my calories back after exercising because I like doing long runs and I didn't feel like quitting them just because I was on a diet. If I was burning 400-500 calories on a run, eating just 1,260 calories (my goal for the last part of my weight loss) wouldn't have been very sustainable.

I can understand why some people don't eat them back, but I don't think it is ridiculous to eat to fuel your body and fitness goals.

That said, if someone IS eating exercise calories and not meeting their weight loss goals, they should take a close look at how much they're eating back and if their calorie burn estimates are way off.
  • jerzymike
    jerzymike Posts: 8 Member
    intermittent fasting .(free).I lost 5 pds on 3 days..no shakes, no crazy workouts.. Im at 1700 cal.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Eating back calories after you've exercised is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Two part: Why in god's name do you bother exercising if you're going to put the calories back in? What a waste of time, effort and money!
    Secondly, it's highly likely you're eating much more than you exercised. For example, half an hour on the bike equals one slice of pizza.

Weight loss ain't easy and you have a big hill to climb - you can't trick the weight off, so stop kidding yourself and get serious.

I think you're misunderstanding the concept of eating calories back as spoken about here.

When you set your goals up in MFP to lose weight, they give you a number with the deficit already built in without exercise. Therefore, in order to properly fuel your body when you do exercise, you do eat a portion of those exercise calories back. However, while doing so, you are still in a deficit.

If you use the TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) method, you would use an online calculatator to figure out your TDEE and then cut back accordingly from there depending on rate of weight loss, but you would not eat your exercise calories back. The reason here is because your exercise frequency is included in this equation.

Weigh loss is easier than we make it. :)

As for your last statement:
    you can't trick the weight off, so stop kidding yourself and get serious.

If you read the entire conversation, you would know this type of "reprimand" is completely uncalled for. I see someone who is listening to what others have to say.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

That's how MFP is set up

That's how MFP is set up

good use for a half hour intense exercise if you ask me

shes got more chance of doing it than most ...she understands how MFP works to start with and is anchoring down her eating

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member

This post is the most ridiculous one I have seen. It betrays a complete lack of understanding of how sustainable and healthful weight loss occurs. But if faux toughness makes you feel good, knock yourself out, perhaps literally.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Eat more healthy fat. Yes I know it sounds counterintuitive; however it works. I know because I'm living proof. Try googling ketogenic diet. Ketogenic = low carb high fat. FAT is what keeps you full and your body needs fat in order to burn fat. I have followed a ketogenic lifestyle beginning September of last year so the year is very nearly upon me and in that time I have eliminated 111.2 pounds. My daily calorie intake from MFP is 1380 and I usually eat somewhere in the 1425 - 1450 range but I always make sure I'm at a calorie deficit of anywhere from 200 to 250 so I exercise everyday.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    There is alot of advice in these forums. I agree with all the scale comments, both for food and personal. If you are to get your weight down and keep your good health, you will be using both for a lifetime, just less frequently later than when you are starting on this journey.

I am 5' 2" and my baseline calorie count is 1350. And I am older. Explore the web; get informed and set a baseline you can live with. I never eat all my exercise calories back, however, I do eat some back if I am hungry.

Some of us are on calorie counting diets, some on Intermittent Fast, some low calorie/high fat, some paleo and there are many other diet configurations here as well. You have to choose what works for you and that takes some experimentation. Give anything you choose a fair try; at least a month before making major changes.

And, finally, don't compare yourself to the men in your life. They have more muscle mass than us girls and more muscle burns more calories even when at rest. Be happy for them for their weight loss but don't compare. It can be discouraging but it is life. Ladies are different.

Eat well, avoid junk, measure and weigh yourself and your food and you will get there. Despite this early disappointment, you are on the right track, just needs adjustments.

Good luck!
  • freeza12
    freeza12 Posts: 33 Member
    This post is the most ridiculous one I have seen. It betrays a complete lack of understanding of how sustainable and healthful weight loss occurs. But if faux toughness makes you feel good, knock yourself out, perhaps literally.

Not faux toughness at all. I've seen many a person attempt to lose weight, make excuses, not succeed and then quit purely because they think it's easy.

If you're dedicated and want it, you won't gain weight. The OP has gained weight with this app, exercise and diet watching. I can't see how that's possible if someone is actually dedicated to the cause. Especially if they're weighing food, as she says in her OP.

I won't respond to the others as you all had a similar vein of thought, and I didn't mean to be negative, but some people do need to realise that losing weight is difficult and does take sacrifice and determination.

I'm new to the app, btw, hence my misunderstanding of what 'eating back the calories' is.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member

Not faux toughness at all. I've seen many a person attempt to lose weight, make excuses, not succeed and then quit purely because they think it's easy.

If you're dedicated and want it, you won't gain weight. The OP has gained weight with this app, exercise and diet watching. I can't see how that's possible if someone is actually dedicated to the cause. Especially if they're weighing food, as she says in her OP.

I won't respond to the others as you all had a similar vein of thought, and I didn't mean to be negative, but some people do need to realise that losing weight is difficult and does take sacrifice and determination.

I'm new to the app, btw, hence my misunderstanding of what 'eating back the calories' is.

She hasn't been weighing her food. She meassured using cups. So, that's one way she could be dedicated but but inadvertently going wrong. Another way is that she used a random pharmacy scale. Seems you didn't really read the OP, because your scolding of her is off base.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    one way or the other you are underestimating your intake....there are numerous ways this can occur. It could be inaccuracies in using measuring cups...though I use measuring cups for certain things like oats, rice, etc and weigh other things and have never had an issue.

another big problem is selecting generic or just incorrect entries from the database. there are a lot of errors in the database and you should double check what that say vs what your packing says, etc...for things such as meats and veg and whatnot I would compare to the USDA data base...if you're making something like, for example, chicken soup...put the ingredients in separately or use the recipe builder...don't use some generic "chicken soup" entry from the database...you have no idea what's actually in it and would/could obviously be very different from what you prepared.
  • freeza12
    freeza12 Posts: 33 Member
    jdleanna wrote: »

She hasn't been weighing her food. She meassured using cups. So, that's one way she could be dedicated but but inadvertently going wrong. Another way is that she used a random pharmacy scale. Seems you didn't really read the OP, because your scolding of her is off base.

I'm gonna leave it there because I don't think this is benefiting the OP, but I didn't mean to 'scold' her as you say. If she is determined, then she has no worry about my comment and would roll her eyes and say 'What does he know?'
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited August 2015

If you're new and don't understand NEAT (which what MFP is based on), you many not want to berate people for actually following how the plan works.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »

If you're new and don't understand how NEAT (which what MFP is based on), you many not want to berate people for actually following how the plan works.

^^ This
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You cannot compare across scales. That is a recipe for disaster.
    You cannot compare dressed vs not dressed. And at different times of the day. That is a recipe for disaster too!

While you are shopping for a within budget kitchen scale... try and get a person scale too.

Honestly it doesn't even matter if it is accurate (it would matter to me; but in reality it doesn't) as long as it can record your weight change over time.

Picking a scale is a long discussion (Because people freak when the scale shows them three different numbers within three minutes, scales just lie these days and show you the same number until they detect a large enough, as defined by the manufacturer, change of weight. They do that in order to convince you that they are very consistent... while in actual fact they aren't).

I have no insight on how to pick one that doesn't do this all the time. When I did find one eventually that doesn't do it all the time, I just called it a day in desperation and shelled the ca$h. The Fitbit Aria's first 2-3 weight ins are real and only after the 3rd time you weight yourself does it go into fake consistency mode; but it is solidly overpriced for what it is, and the wi-fi setup could not suck worse if a committee of imbeciles had deliberately tried to make it as sucky as possible -- unless you luck out and the sub-par POS cheap wi-fi chipset they used happens to be compatible with your router and other devices, which is far from a universal happening!)

Anyway. Pick a scale. Make sure it has fresh batteries. Place it on an un-yielding piece of floor. Avoid moving it around without recalibrating. By preference weight yourself on that same spot day in and day out!

Weight yourself in the morning after you used the bathroom, nakid, or as close to it as you can get, and before eating or drinking anything. A small glass of water weighs half a lb.

After you've done all that, enter your weight into an web site/application such as www.weightgrapher.com or www.trendweight.com (can integrate to MFP through a free fitbit account even if you don't have one of the supported scales), or LIBRA on Android, or Happy Scale on iPhone.

All of them produce a trendline of your weight, a trendline that allows you to focus on your longer term progress without freaking out about daily variabilities in water weight which can be substantial and are caused by things such as sodium, exercise, excess food in the gi tract, monthly hormonal shifts, and other random events in this universe. Such variabilities have been known to reach 5+lbs for some individuals (as compared to a daily weigh change that could be as little as 0.2lbs)

Of course the advice you received re: weighting your food is absolutely solid and will make a big difference too.... but a 6lb gain while watching what you've been eating smacks of measurement error, not just of gaining weight because of cup measuring errors... well, not unless you eat a lot of peanut butter ;-)

Saved me a lot of typing right here! Couldn't agree more.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »

If you're new and don't understand NEAT (which what MFP is based on), you many not want to berate people for actually following how the plan works.

Agreed and to add:

There are a few factors that can cause the OP to show a gain, but it doesn't mean that it's a fat gain. It could be that she weighed in at a different time, wearing different clothing, on a different scale. She may also be holding onto some water weight due to hormones. Maybe while you are learning more about the app you should learn about weight fluctuations and what can cause them.
  • michelleselmon
    michelleselmon Posts: 90 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I think you're misunderstanding the concept of eating calories back as spoken about here.

When you set your goals up in MFP to lose weight, they give you a number with the deficit already built in without exercise. Therefore, in order to properly fuel your body when you do exercise, you do eat a portion of those exercise calories back. However, while doing so, you are still in a deficit.

If you use the TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) method, you would use an online calculatator to figure out your TDEE and then cut back accordingly from there depending on rate of weight loss, but you would not eat your exercise calories back. The reason here is because your exercise frequency is included in this equation.

Weigh loss is easier than we make it. :)

As for your last statement:
    you can't trick the weight off, so stop kidding yourself and get serious.

If you read the entire conversation, you would know this type of "reprimand" is completely uncalled for. I see someone who is listening to what others have to say.

thank you :) I am listening and that guy was totally rude I need support not rude comments so thanks again :)
  • michelleselmon
    michelleselmon Posts: 90 Member

Thank you so much for Standing up for me that man was totally rude and his comment was uncalled for I appreciate it so much :) I know now from all you wonderful people that i need to be weighing all of my food and to get a scale for the bathroom Thanks again so much :)
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015

Understood that you're new to the MFP app. :)

However, in her original post, Michelle said she was measuring food not weighing it. There is a big difference. Also, in subsequent posts, she has said she realizes she is eating too much and will buy a food scale.

The only time I find losing weight difficult is when I make it more difficult than it really is or than it needs to be. ;)
  • SLLRunner

I'm gonna leave it there because I don't think this is benefiting the OP, but I didn't mean to 'scold' her as you say. If she is determined, then she has no worry about my comment and would roll her eyes and say 'What does he know?'

That's a sweeping generalization and a judgment based on your own perceptions. We don't know Michelle, except from here, and I would say she is determined.
  • faji2015
    faji2015 Posts: 93 Member
    edited August 2015
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    So i have been eating 1440 Calories That's what MFP tells me to eat to lose 2 pounds a week I went and weighed myself yesterday and I weigh 223 and i was 217 2 weeks ago I measure my Food with Measuring cups And i walk and burn off 300 calories a day I need help figuring out should i be exercising more or eating less? Because i am doing something wrong And my Stats are I am a Female 5'3 223 And my BMR is 1,736 - 1800 different websites say different numbers any help or suggestions will be appreciated thanks

Hi Michelle,

If you are gaining weight you are eating more than you realize. However, if you've started a new exercise, some of the weight increase could be water.

If you open your diary you will get more concrete advice.

Weigh all your food as eyeballs and measuring devices are deceiving.

Also, what do you do to burn 300 calories? If you use MFP or internet estimates those are way overestimated. Eat only about 60-75 % of those back.

What do you have your activity level set at?

I am Doing Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home 3 Mile walk And i put my Activity level at Sedentary But I do move around alot being a mom to 2 boys :) Do you think eating 1440 calories a day is too low for a BMR of 1700-1800? I feel Like i am doing everything wrong And thanks again for all your help :)

Your 5.3" and if your activity level is sedentary(pardon me If I am wrong) How can mfp suggests you to eat 1440 as I am 5.4"and sedentary but my limit is 1200 for 2lbs.