I know it starts with me ... But I'm not scared to say I need you

Options
Heya,

Short and sweet - I'm like the biggest yoyo you've ever seen with weight. I always think so so wrong "oh I'll be able to lose that when I get the motivation" but it got so hard, the hard turned to lard and well ... You get the gist?! I'm a re-re-re starter :) 4 days in and struggling!

I am a shorty, 33y/o, Aussie, have 40kg to lose, and I'm rallying for support from WHERE EVER I can get it from!

Add me to help me or I'm pretty good at giving support back :)

Thanks for reading xx

Replies

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    There is another poster with a thread called "Motivation and Determination" looking for support too, perhaps the two of you should make contact.

I find the forums to be very helpful - particularly the success story thread. I have picked up so many useful tips.

Also worth looking at is the Forget Motivation, Discipline is Key thread that is up at the moment. Food for thought on how motivation is fleeting, but habits, once set, drive you to succeed.
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sending you best wishes from Germany!
    It is all about calories in vs out, you don't need to go crazy just make sensible changes. :)
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it. I'm a restarter from way back so can totally relate to what you're sayin. I am just starting to learn that it all starts in the mind and am now on a course called "mindful eating" which also includes meditation. I used to live in Oz. Add me if you want to :)
  • tamstar19812015
    tamstar19812015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    acmanna wrote: »
    Sending you best wishes from Germany!
    It is all about calories in vs out, you don't need to go crazy just make sensible changes. :)

Thanks so much! This app is certainly making it easy to see how good affects me!
  • freeza12
    freeza12 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Another Aussie - what exactly do you struggle with? Diet?
    And why do you want to change?
  • tamstar19812015
    Options
    freeza12 wrote: »
    Another Aussie - what exactly do you struggle with? Diet?
    And why do you want to change?

There's a few things @freeza12
    Diet- no control, my excuses vary - I work long hours so convenience food became take out, high calorie.
    Exercise - I hurt my self every time I try (broken foot, knee, arm) but it's because I go so hard, get hurt, lose interest (repeat rinse repeat lol)
    Change - well I want a healthy mind, I'm so depressed about my weight I barely go see my friends anymore. I woke up one morning feeling like I was in the downward slope to the "end" of my life - I'm 33! I should not feel that way!
  • freeza12
    Options
    Oky doky. Do you know what it will take to get you to your goal weight?
    What is your goal weight?

First step is changing your mindset and realising that the path won't be easy and will take dedication.
    Controlling your diet is paramount - excuses will cause failure! It's a slippery slope.

I found changing my diet was difficult until I discovered food alternatives that weren't terrible. Egg is everywhere. Protein powders every day. Chicken breast is daily etc etc.

What have you changed with regards to your diet when you have tried? Simply not eating will almost always lead to failure.

Being depressed and in that mindset at that age is not great, but only you can do something about it!
  • freeza12
    Options
    BTW, a lot of what I said is pretty anecdotal - I find it's really easy to say those things without really saying anything meaningful.

If you give me a decent idea of your diet and workout routine then I can offer some practical advice.
    And remember that weight loss is 90% diet - gym is all well and good, but first thing to do is fix the diet.
  • kyliegoodwin04
    kyliegoodwin04 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 33 and from New Zealand. I've got 50kgs to lose. Have added you as a friend. We can help each other ☺
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Dr Joel Fuhrman says either eat for life or do not. Yo yoing up and down causes you to regain even more fat, and for that fat to grow around your organs instead of just your tummy. So either get serious about your health, or stop.
  • tnaranjo0691
    tnaranjo0691 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I know the feeling. I was also a re- re- re starter as you said. But other times I did it to just look good and please other ppl NOW Iam doing it for myself, to feel better, to be happy with my body, to demonstrate to myself that I am not just a quiter, I can do it.
    The journey will not be easy but c'mon we can do it! There's a phrase that helps me everytime I want to cheat: "What you eat in private, ypu wear in public". Hope it helps! :)
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Hey there - welcome! I think there is some great advice here and I touch base here a lot to keep motivated. I would also suggest you make sure you know your "WHY". Discovering my "WHY" and keeping it in my daily focus has made a great difference.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mrron2u/view/finding-your-why-674806

Feel free to check out the blog post I wrote on it and in that post is the link to the original poster as well.

Also feel free to friend me - I'm very active and try to encourage all my MFP friends as much as possible.

You have the power to change your future and you CAN do it!
  • tamstar19812015
    Options
    freeza12 wrote: »
    BTW, a lot of what I said is pretty anecdotal - I find it's really easy to say those things without really saying anything meaningful.

If you give me a decent idea of your diet and workout routine then I can offer some practical advice.
    And remember that weight loss is 90% diet - gym is all well and good, but first thing to do is fix the diet.

So having only re-started 4days ago i wanted to focus this week on food. Lowering my portion sizes (I love my "little" plate concept) and really considering what nutrition I'm getting in whilst having some fun falling back in love with simple food and flavours.
    Bfast: I'm having a meal replacement shake during the week (I'm at work by then)
    Lunch: brown rice and tuna
    Dinner: some variation of chicken and veg
    Snacks: almonds, a piece of fruit, and one day I had a nibble on cheese.

My goal weight is around the 75 mark (I started with 116 and have weighed daily for motivation and currently weigh 113.5)

Next week I'll introduce exercise. I'm going to do up a plan on the weekend :) excited but super nervous.

For mind - I went through a workshop that covered off fixed and growth mindset and found that super valuable.

Thanks so much for the support!
  • tamstar19812015
    Options
    mrron2u wrote: »
    Hey there - welcome! I think there is some great advice here and I touch base here a lot to keep motivated. I would also suggest you make sure you know your "WHY". Discovering my "WHY" and keeping it in my daily focus has made a great difference.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mrron2u/view/finding-your-why-674806

Feel free to check out the blog post I wrote on it and in that post is the link to the original poster as well.

Also feel free to friend me - I'm very active and try to encourage all my MFP friends as much as possible.

You have the power to change your future and you CAN do it!

Thanks so much I'll check it out!
  • tamstar19812015
    Options
    I'm nearly 33 and from New Zealand. I've got 50kgs to lose. Have added you as a friend. We can help each other ☺

Added :)
  • tamstar19812015
    Options
    Hi there! I know the feeling. I was also a re- re- re starter as you said. But other times I did it to just look good and please other ppl NOW Iam doing it for myself, to feel better, to be happy with my body, to demonstrate to myself that I am not just a quiter, I can do it.
    The journey will not be easy but c'mon we can do it! There's a phrase that helps me everytime I want to cheat: "What you eat in private, ypu wear in public". Hope it helps! :)

Thanks so much!
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    For me changing my focus was key.

'I'm not here to lose weight, but to get healthy.'

Reframing why I need to lose weight was important. When I thought I'd be happier, and more successful if I was thin, my motivation was very results driven, crazy workouts, and diet that weren't sustainable in the long term. When I started thinking about things as being making myself healthy and weight loss as the by-product of being healthy it made me realize that this isn't a short term fix that you can 'win' at. It's a life long change, that only works with small measured sustainable changes.

Good Luck!
  • jenna15jenna
    jenna15jenna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I have similar weight to lose starting at 124kg currently at 107 and aiming for 70kg! I'm currently on my 4th day today after a long break! You can add me if u like :)

• lynnsyoung164
    lynnsyoung164 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy but I started realizing that with so many things not just food I created who I am by defining small things that added up to create a picture of who I saw myself as. For example anytime someone brought up the subject of beans I would say, "I hate beans except green beans". Announcing what they should know about me..who Lynn is. I really felt that was me. "I hate exercise. I have never liked it", "Oh no, not me. I have to have my steak and m&m's", "I can never stick with anything". ...All these things. Once I started really hearing myself I decided I don't have to be what I've always been. Lyn probably loves beans she just hasn't tried them since she was a kid. My new years resolution that year was to try all those healthy foods when they were offered or on a menu. Then one day I said, I , Lynn am going to be that person who gets up early and goes to the gym. Later I decided I am going to be the person who eats healthy and I will be that person I see doing triathlons. It is who I am. You can be the person who lives a healthy lifestyle. I slip up sometimes but I just start over the next meal or the next day. That restarting happens to everyone but the person you want to be keeps going. Restart every day if you have to. This whole thing may sound really Corny but WHO does tamstar really want to be? Forget who you've always been.