When you have a cheat meal...How do you do it? Over on calor

Options
Just wondering how some of you handle your cheat meals. Do you just eat what you want and not worry about the calories and move one? Do you workout more that day or over the week? Do you cut calories on other days? On the day of your cheat meal do you cut way back the rest of the day? Very curious to see what has worked for everyone.

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've stopped having cheat meals or cheat days - I just work everything I enjoy into my lifestyle. If I want ice cream - I eat it and then I log it. Being too restrictive with myself made me feel resentful. When I'm able to basically eat what I want, when I want -- I do much better. :)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I work out, and then eat at my maintainence.. so it looks like this

1800 is my maintainence I then work out and burn
    400 calories so my cheat days can be up around
    ____
    2200 calories.

that is how i do it. I ususally don't end up anywhere that because I am so used to eating my 1400 calories. so it all works out.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It's a cheat day! Just enjoy it! I am planning a big cheat day for myself on Saturday, and I'm eating like normal for the rest of the week, but on Saturday, there's a fantastically huge biscuit with my name on it... :)
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    My cheat day only happen if I have lost that week and are not over calories...I just dont watch the nutrient percentages.

I think everyone is going to have their own approach.
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I usually have one cheat day out of the week and while I definitely ENJOY having those days, I often feel bad about it after it's over with. Which leads me to work out a little harder the rest of the week. On that note, I never let myself go without something I want. If I want a candy bar, I won't eat the entire thing, but maybe just a piece to satisfy my craving. I don't believe in restricting things from my diet, its so much easier to eat in moderation whatever I want to!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If your going to do it you can exercise and earn it or just eat it, but you can not exercise it off a different day or eat less a different day, all food and exercise on a day stays on that day.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal on Saturday nights. I usually budget around 1000cals for the one meal and eat as normal for the rest of the day. Saturday is, however, my long run day, so it's normal for me to burn off at least a 1000cals of exercise in the day. That means that my cheat days often end up being around 1400 - 1600 cals net, even with a big ol' cheat meal and normal other food!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I have 2 high calorie days a week (i am zig zagging) and I just workout harder on those 2 days in order to stay under. I feel like I am cheating because those days are higher than maintenance calories, but i know that it is all part of a plan
  • ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    I eat whatever I want on cheat days. Once in a while Ill workout extra hard or something, but usually I just eat whatever. Butttt I usually feel guilty about cheat days, even if I tell myself its ok once in a while lol
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    When I first started out, I thought I'd need a cheat day every week. Turns out I'm enjoying my new lifestyle sufficiently that I only have a cheat day once in every 3 weeks or so, so it works out for me. My most recent cheat day was May 12th, when we had a family BBQ.

Also, I'm usually under my calorie budget. I burn 750-850 calories on a typical day, which leaves me a lot of food room. So it kind of balances out... I think.

Now, cheat/ oversized MEALS, I have those at LEAST once a week. But I log everything and make sure my daily total stays within reasonable boundaries. Usually when I have a huge meal, it staves off any hunger or cravings for the rest of the day, although I try to have a small snack afterwards just so I'll have enough nutrition til the next day's breakfast.

All in all, cheat days/meals don't make me feel guilty... just uncomfortably full :)
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Basically I don't go over my calorie goal (1200 net) Monday through Friday, which isn't hard since it's 1700 once the exercise calories are factored in (if I can even be 50-100 calories under even better). I do exceed my calorie limits Saturday and Sunday because I don't exercise on those days. On Saturday I try to limit myself to 1500 calories, but Sunday I eat whatever i want calories be damned.

It works for me because knowing that any craving I have can be indulged on Sunday motivates me to stay on track during the week. But folks have to find the approach that's best for them.
  • debbie4health
    Options
    I echo what Chevy88 said. I don't have "cheat" days. We do usually go out after weigh in (hubby and I) and eat something we don't normally eat.......this morning was pancakes and 1/2 omelet for me. But I count it all and will eat light the rest of the day, just because I'm so full. But I track it all!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Technically, the free day shouldn't even be logged. It's a day to let go. But, as a logging junkie, I usually still log it. I actually TRY to go over by 500-1000 cals that day. No extra exercise to compensate. No eating less the day before or day after to compensate. No strings attached. This worked very well for me while I was losing.

Paradoxically, I am thinking of cutting out the free day now that I am in a different phase (maintaining/gaining muscle). I haven't fully decided yet though.

But if you are in a fat-loss mode, I 100% advocate the free day concept. It will keep your sanity & morale high and keep your metabolism revving, which is what you want in order to be a fat burning machine.
  • monchand
    monchand Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    if is just a meal I say just plan to workout more over the next few days. For myself, I rarely have cheat meals. Now don't get me wrong, like for my birthday. I had a half piece of cheesecake but I planned for that dang cheesecake for a week. So I reduced my caloric intake all week long around 50 a day (350 for the week) then on my birthday ran an extra 15 mins. and I was fine to enjoy! The reason why I don't call them "Cheat meals" because that was my downfall for me and sent me right back to my old ways. I believe obesity is like any other diseases and needed to be treated as such. Or would you give an alcholic a cheat day with a beer! NO! anyhow good luck to you and your progress to your goal.:happy:
  • matwood74
    matwood74 Posts: 111
    Options
    I have to echo what another poster said. I don't have cheat meals or whatever either. I eat what I want for
    the most part, and I exercise everyday. If I want something sweet, I have it, I'm just sure to check my calorie
    intake for the day to make sure I won't go over. To date, I have never gone over in my calories!!! I feel it's
    all about moderation. For example, if you want McDonald's for dinner...... don't get a Big Mac!! Get a chicken
    nugget Happy Meal instead....... much less in calories and fat!! Granted, you can't do that every single day,
    I was just using it for an example!!! :wink:
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Can't say I have a cheat meal. That's because I listen to my body as much as I use the calorie calculator. I've had huge calorie burns during the week and then I become apathetic, just no energy. Sure enough I've built a nutritional deficit. So I have a little more and sometimes a whole bunch more.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If I am going to have a cheat meal (e.g. family gathering) I will do a hard resistance training session prior to it because after this is when my body needs the nutrients and can utilise them in a good way. (building muscle)
  • dawnie_t
    dawnie_t Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    me too, its like I get excited for planned cheat meals then I feel like crap afterwards because of my extra calories!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If I am going to have a cheat meal (e.g. family gathering) I will do a hard resistance training session prior to it because after this is when my body needs the nutrients and can utilise them in a good way. (building muscle)

Same here. I always do a good strength workout on days I go over or plan to.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!