Low carb

Options
i have decided to go low carb for a little bit instead of cals! I hit a plateau and this seems to be helping me over it. This is my fourth day and I've already lost four pounds!

Any suggestions or helpful comments as I continue?!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Weight loss always boils down to CICO... not low carb, not high protein, not eliminating food groups.

The reason you lost weight on a low carb is because carbs hold water... the reduction of carb intake makes you lose water weight and glycogen.

If you're plateaued... chances are you're being inaccurate with logging.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    If going low carb helps you maintain your calorie deficit great. Keep at it.

That said, I wouldn't get too excited about 4 lbs in 4 days - it almost assuredly isn't fat loss. Dropping carbs will cause you to deplete your glycogen stores and the accompanying water weight.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Weight loss always boils down to CICO... not low carb, not high protein, not eliminating food groups.

The reason you lost weight on a low carb is because carbs hold water... the reduction of carb intake makes you lose water weight and glycogen.

Agreed. People assume if they doblow carb that they won't have to count calories. They see that first initial drop and think its going to continue like that. They just don't understand how it works
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in low carb dieting, there is a low carb group that you can join.
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Depends on your sensitivity to carbs. I am very sensitive to carbs. I am also carb cycling to get down to 10 percent bodyfat. Hasn't been a detriment. However calories in vs calories out.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    i have decided to go low carb for a little bit instead of cals! I hit a plateau and this seems to be helping me over it. This is my fourth day and I've already lost four pounds!

Any suggestions or helpful comments as I continue?!

Stick at it for at least 2 weeks, up your salt intake and don't fear fat.
  • kelseyjean5
    kelseyjean5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    If going low carb helps you maintain your calorie deficit great. Keep at it.

That said, I wouldn't get too excited about 4 lbs in 4 days - it almost assuredly isn't fat loss. Dropping carbs will cause you to deplete your glycogen stores and the accompanying water weight.

thorsmom01 wrote: »

Agreed. People assume if they doblow carb that they won't have to count calories. They see that first initial drop and think its going to continue like that. They just don't understand how it works

I know my four pounds lost is water weight and I understand i won't continue to drop weight like this every week! But it's a start and im pleased with it! This is my second time trying low carb. I seem to have a hard time finding things to eat and that is why I resigned from it a few months ago. With that being said, I do still watch my calories, which some say you should and should not do. I make sure to eat plenty of protein and I still stick to my 1200 calories a day routine. Nothing is really changing about my diet except for cutting out some carbs.
    I've researched low carb for the past week to get a better understanding of it and how it works and how you should do it right to keep your body healthy.
  • MyTee150
    MyTee150 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in low carb dieting, there is a low carb group that you can join.

I'm interested in the low carb group on here what's the name of it?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Low Carber Daily
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I started eating lowish carb a couple of years ago due to digestive issues. If you can imagine the worst criticizer of low carb diets who ever existed . . . that was me. Times ten. I made all sorts of fun of low carbers and their misguided (to me, then) way of thinking. And then one day I realized I was feeling better than I had in awhile, and I stopped to consider why that might be. And I realized that for the past few days I'd been eating very few carbs. Normally back then I ate a lot of whole grain bread, oatmeal, baked potatoes--things that are considered relatively healthy carbs. But for whatever reason my diet had been different for a few days. After realizing how much better I felt I thought what the heck, I may as well give lower carb eating a try for a few weeks. And it was an almost life changing experience. I felt SO much better. My GI tract settled down for the first time in years. At that time I didn't particularly need to lose any weight, but eating low carb definitely made a difference in my hunger and satiety levels -- I did get hungry, but that was all it was. Just a feeling of "I could eat now if I had something, but I can wait, too." No big deal, and easy to ignore. It wasn't that overwhelming feeling of "I have to have something to eat right now or I'm going to collapse/pass out/go nuts" that I often got when eating a more carb heavy diet.

FWIW, I do think when it comes to weight loss that CICO is what does it. Years ago I lost 64 pounds on a very high carb/low fat diet and kept it off until my thyroid went wonky last year. But it was hard. The hunger was overwhelming. Mostly I was able to lose due to sheer determination and stubbornness (what would probably be called willpower). I don't have any feelings of overwhelming hunger when eating lower carb. So in the long run . . . . yeah, I do think maybe lower carb eating helps to keep blood glucose more steady, which in turn helps keep hunger at a manageable level and makes it easier to lose weight.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

I'm interested in the low carb group on here what's the name of it?

@TheNewLadyT below is the group I visit most days. Request to become a member and someone should approve you.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group