Teach me how to lose without exercising...

Options
2»

Replies

• Pinesgurl
    Pinesgurl Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    mlokie wrote: »
    I agree with the other re; the food scale.

If it helps, I lost the majority of my weight with zero exercise. 24lbs in 4mths. I was pathetically sedentary, averaging around 2000-2500 steps a day.

I've only started exercising in the last 6mths, which is plain and simple walking. I got a fitbit which motivated me, and exercising allows me to eat more. But to lose weight exercise is not a prerequisite.

I love what you have to say! :-) I'm disabled so try to do small hand weights and a resistance band from a chair. I'm losing excruciatingly slow. I do not add in exercise calories now.

@mlokie rest assured it is totally possible. I work from home, and I when I lost that weight I was pottering around at home and doing nothing else but watching my calories. I was constantly worried about not exercising, as I was always led to believe that you must exercise to lose weight. Obviously this is not true.

You can do this!! :heart:

Friend me, please, please. I want to suck up encouragement. :-)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You just eat fewer calories. That's it!

You can still get some exercise, even in the house. Dance, do workout tapes, body weight stuff. :)

Congrats on the baby!!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other re; the food scale.

If it helps, I lost the majority of my weight with zero exercise. 24lbs in 4mths. I was pathetically sedentary, averaging around 2000-2500 steps a day.

I've only started exercising in the last 6mths, which is plain and simple walking. I got a fitbit which motivated me, and exercising allows me to eat more. But to lose weight exercise is not a prerequisite.

I love what you have to say! :-) I'm disabled so try to do small hand weights and a resistance band from a chair. I'm losing excruciatingly slow. I do not add in exercise calories now.

@mlokie rest assured it is totally possible. I work from home, and I when I lost that weight I was pottering around at home and doing nothing else but watching my calories. I was constantly worried about not exercising, as I was always led to believe that you must exercise to lose weight. Obviously this is not true.

You can do this!! :heart:

Friend me, please, please. I want to suck up encouragement. :-)

Request sent :smile: :smile:

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    techgal128 wrote: »
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    techgal128 wrote: »
    Eat less than you burn throughout the day. That's all it takes.

thats the only way
    do you expect magic?

Weigh all your food on a food scale...start logging all your food eat less than you burn and walla weight loss.

I personally don't weigh my food and have lost weight fine. However, I understand that a lot of people may need to so it's always encouraged.

I think we have to change the minds in this matter

It is rare that people can...like you. And lucky you btw. I wish i could

But we should encourage the other way around...weigh ALL your food on a scale...and when you do that learn if you can do without it.
    In some test ( studies are online somewhere) is proven that most people think they know portion sizes and how to eyeball and guesstimate their food. Shocking to know that most of them are off in a long way.
    Also sad enough btw.

I encourage people to weigh their food and learn it. And from there to try to not weigh a portion... I am pretty good now in cutting half a tsp of butter etc Because i have done and weighed it so many times.... now cutting that piece of butter i use isnt far off the grams i indeed tend to have.

But i still keep weighing. Just because my deficit is getting smaller after losing 105 pounds and i dont want my weight loss to stall or slow down. And after all i am 1 minute longer in the kitchen by weighing my food. It really dont take that long to do so.

But yes lol would be handy if i could do without...but no biggie to weigh my food...if i have to forever.
    Totally used to it and a very small task to do for losing and keeping my weight off.

76145189.png
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    hac125 wrote: »
    How about walking with the baby in a stroller? Even a short walk will give you some fresh air and change of scenery.

This is excellent advice.

I lost all my baby weight from my first 2 pregnancies each time with a calorie deficit (no logging) and walking for miles. With the second baby I had a double buggy, even more hard work! My husband used to phone me and when I'd tell him somewhere miles from home he'd be shocked at how far I'd walked lol. Not suggesting you do that, but walking is good for both of you.

After my third baby I joined MFP!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I don't count on exercise to help me lose weight. I simply eat at the level MFP has me set at with a sedentary lifestyle. I actually only do about 30 min walking on the treadmill anyway so I just use it as my cushion for any errors in my logging accuracy. If you don't feel like exercising then don't. If you're not into the exercise thing then don't start simply because you're on a diet. That way when you stop your diet your body will already be use to the sedentary pace. Often times people start up these crazy workout routines only to stop them when they stop their diet. Just like your diet your workout routine should also be something you can do for the rest of your life. If its not going to be don't start it.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I don't count on exercise to help me lose weight. I simply eat at the level MFP has me set at with a sedentary lifestyle. I actually only do about 30 min walking on the treadmill anyway so I just use it as my cushion for any errors in my logging accuracy. If you don't feel like exercising then don't. If you're not into the exercise thing then don't start simply because you're on a diet. That way when you stop your diet your body will already be use to the sedentary pace. Often times people start up these crazy workout routines only to stop them when they stop their diet. Just like your diet your workout routine should also be something you can do for the rest of your life. If its not going to be don't start it.

This

I lose weight because of my deficit i created
    the exercise i do because i love to get fitter and be active.

and yes it gives me more room to eat extra...but is not needed.

For people who dont like to exercise i always say...just start in the kitchen. Weigh all your food on a food scale, eat less than you daily burn
    Than when you like to, add some walking ....and maybe over time more and more

And before you know it, you are exercising :)

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. A deficit of 500 calories per day will help you lose a pound a week. It's not a problem at all to lose weight without exercise - exercise is for fitness. At best it gives you a few hundred calories extra to add to your deficit.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    ds6099 wrote: »
    Easier said than done! Exercising keeps me in check. That's the advice I need- HOW to be careful without it!

How did exercise keep you in check?

Also why can't you exercise with out a treadmill?

Walk outside, walk around inside, skip, etc etc

But ultimately eat at a deficit to lose weight.
  • ds6099
    ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love all your advice! I will log every calorie and hope for the best!