Exercise without eating healthily - Is it counter productive?

Options
Josh_lol
Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey MFP! :smile: So I'm opening this thread just asking for some opinions and views and stories about everyone's weight loss journeys.

So to start off with, my diet is pretty poor. It's why I'm overweight and it's only until lately that I've been losing weight because my lifestyle has become a lot more active (warehouse job and going to the gym 5-6 times a week).

At the moment, weight is dropping off me despite my poor diet. I was looking to gain some insight from other people on what I should do in terms of eating healthier (will I still feel energetic or lose weight at a rate where it's not classed as healthy?) and if anyone else has been through a similar situation where they were eating high amounts of calories a day (2500-3500) and still losing weight. Did you hit a brick wall? Did you start gaining again?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading your comments :smiley:

P.S - If anyone wants to view my food log, the key is "josh"

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Height, weight, age, activity level without exercise?

It is possible that 2500 for you is a cut

But if you're not weighing and logging your food you have no idea how many calories you're eating

Eating crap is not ideal for overall nutrition and health but it won't stop you losing weight if you're at a defecit
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Insight

Weigh and log your foods

Aim for a minimum of 0.64g protein per lb bodyweight (minimum ...more would be better)
    Aim for 0.35g fat per lb bodyweight (minimum again)
    Aim to eat a wide range of vegetables and fruit, lean proteins, oily fish
    Don't demonise foods as good or bad ...it's just food ...make if work
  • Josh_lol
    Options
    Thanks for the tip :) It seems the macros on my food diary for protein are around that mark but the fats are a little higher.
  • Josh_lol
    edited August 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

But if you're not weighing and logging your food you have no idea how many calories you're eating

Eating crap is not ideal for overall nutrition and health but it won't stop you losing weight if you're at a defecit

I'll update the main post with my info. I do log my food. But I don't make my own recipes so I usually have to go off of MFP's database so there will be some errors there.

Since I can't edit the main post for a while, I'll just put it here.

I'm 5"9', currently 256 lbs (18st4), 22 years old with a very active job in a warehouse. I also exercise at the gym at least 5 times a week aiming at doing 45 mins of cardio a day.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    To answer the question in your title, yes - I always say you can't outrun your mouth!
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    IF you protein intake is adequate then I guess you can get away with it. However a lot will depend on your genetics if you go that route.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get the right nutrients, even if you mix them with less healthy food. Also pay attention to your body. You may discover that when you're not active, you're not that hungry. Respect that, and don't make yourself eat just out of habit. :)

Good luck!
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think it depends what your goals are. If you are losing weight while eating what you want and can keep up that level of activity, and your goal is weight loss, then it's a win!

Eating a lot of fast food, take out, packaged food will mean there are quite a lot of additives and possibly a lot of salt and sugar. But if they don't concern you and you are just looking to lose weight then it looks like what you are doing is working. Is it healthy? I would say not really.... will you lose weight? Looks like you will.

Personally if I was in your shoes, I would try and keep an eye on sodium and hydrogenated fat levels and I find they are the most worrying things in junk foods. Other than that I would ensure I was getting plenty of protein (the MPF recommendations are usually very low) and just wait and see what happened on the weight loss front. If the weight loss slowed down I'd then look at diet again and see what I could cut out or eat healthier lower calorie versions.
  • Josh_lol
    Options
    rotill wrote: »
    Make sure you get the right nutrients, even if you mix them with less healthy food. Also pay attention to your body. You may discover that when you're not active, you're not that hungry. Respect that, and don't make yourself eat just out of habit. :)

Good luck!
    Yeah thanks dude :smile: I've noticed a big increase in my appetite since a week ago when I started going to the gym. I'll drink some water before I do eat just to make sure it is actual hunger and not thirst/boredom bringing it on.
  • Josh_lol
    Options
    I think it depends what your goals are. If you are losing weight while eating what you want and can keep up that level of activity, and your goal is weight loss, then it's a win!

Eating a lot of fast food, take out, packaged food will mean there are quite a lot of additives and possibly a lot of salt and sugar. But if they don't concern you and you are just looking to lose weight then it looks like what you are doing is working. Is it healthy? I would say not really.... will you lose weight? Looks like you will.

Personally if I was in your shoes, I would try and keep an eye on sodium and hydrogenated fat levels and I find they are the most worrying things in junk foods. Other than that I would ensure I was getting plenty of protein (the MPF recommendations are usually very low) and just wait and see what happened on the weight loss front. If the weight loss slowed down I'd then look at diet again and see what I could cut out or eat healthier lower calorie versions.

Good idea dude. A lot of people are recommending eating more protein which I think I'll consider doing. Like you said, watching hydrogenated and saturated fats and sodium is also a good idea because losing weight and being healthy are 2 different things.

I'll just have to wait and see in the somewhat near future if the weight loss slows or starts to become more dependent on what I'm eating.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have to say..... I wish I could lose weight eating what you do LOL :)
  • Josh_lol
    Options

It's actually what made me post this in the first place to see if anyone else has been in this situation. I have a feeling it won't last forever but I guess I'll have to wait and see. I know I eat fast foods a little too often and should look at cooking for myself when my family gets fast food instead.

It's a shame the food diary can't track 6 macros or it would be easier for me to track sodium as well.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'd also encourage you to start weight lifting or do some sort of bodyweight exercise routine, if you aren't already.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Josh_LoL wrote: »

It's actually what made me post this in the first place to see if anyone else has been in this situation. I have a feeling it won't last forever but I guess I'll have to wait and see. I know I eat fast foods a little too often and should look at cooking for myself when my family gets fast food instead.

It's a shame the food diary can't track 6 macros or it would be easier for me to track sodium as well.

It does track sodium (and other things) by default. It's the Nutrition tab that shows the breakdown, not just fat/carbs/protein.
  • Josh_lol
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

It does track sodium (and other things) by default. It's the Nutrition tab that shows the breakdown, not just fat/carbs/protein.

Thanks for the tip :p I just realised I can view a full report of all my macros for a day or range of days.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're losing weight, because you're in a deficit. If to lose weight is your only goal, then you're golden. If you want to be healthier, then you look to the food's you're eating. Remember, it's important during weight loss to get enough protein, to retain muscle mass.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Josh, you don't have to go all or nothing right away. A few days a week, make yourself a sandwich on whole grain bread instead of eating fast food. Buy 14 servings of fruit and vow to eat two a day for a week. Get a box of high fiber cereal for your breakfast. That kind if thing! Better nutrition DOES make you feel better in my experience.

• Sued0nim
    edited August 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I'll update the main post with my info. I do log my food. But I don't make my own recipes so I usually have to go off of MFP's database so there will be some errors there.

Since I can't edit the main post for a while, I'll just put it here.

I'm 5"9', currently 256 lbs (18st4), 22 years old with a very active job in a warehouse. I also exercise at the gym at least 5 times a week aiming at doing 45 mins of cardio a day.

Even putting you at moderately active you get

z3kswr8gna3x.jpg

From here http://www.weightloss-calculator.net

Which is why you're losing weight

Great

You have an active life now

Make sure your exercise programme is working for you. I'd advise a strength programme 3 times a week like

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Cardio ...at least 2 x 30 minute sessions

Rest days

Dietary wise ...start to slowly improve ...whilst continuing to weigh and log accurately. Do not use other people's entries, make your own entries, scan barcodes, use the recipe builder and save go to meals
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Beware that as you lose more, you'll need to eat less or move more to keep losing weight, as your BMR and TDEE decrease as you lose weight. Good luck :)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »
    Josh, you don't have to go all or nothing right away. A few days a week, make yourself a sandwich on whole grain bread instead of eating fast food. Buy 14 servings of fruit and vow to eat two a day for a week. Get a box of high fiber cereal for your breakfast. That kind if thing! Better nutrition DOES make you feel better in my experience.

Yes, i totally agree with this^^.
    I'm not the greatest clean eater myself (but i'm bloomin' Gwyneth Paltro compared to you Lol).
    Having Take Aways and Ready Meals more than twice a week would just make me feel bloated and lethargic tbh.
    Try making yourself some Pasta Salads that you can pre-make and store in Tupperware type containers, Sandwiches on Brown Bread are pretty filling too and definitely try eating more Fruit, Veg & lean Meat!