How can I get rid of my "Muffin Top?" and worried about lose skin

Options
jenniator
jenniator Posts: 475 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone,

I have a question that's been bothering me, but I've been too embarrassed to ask for a while. All my life I've been overweight and obese and I've always had what looks like 2 stomachs. It really sucks because I have trouble finding clothes that fit me well and that don't show off my muffin top. I always wear bigger sized shirts than I am because it hides my muffin top more. When I wear shirts that fit me, you can see the muffin top clearly and it really is embarrassing. I'm a 5'6 women. I started at 240 pounds and now I'm down 64 pounds. Right now I'm 176.3 pounds which I couldn't be happier about since I never in my life thought I would lose this much weight. I was hoping at this point that my muffin top would be better. It has gotten smaller, but it's still so huge along with my stomach and thighs. I still have a lot of "really fat" areas on my body, but the muffin top is the one that bothers me the most, mostly because I can't hide it and it's the most noticeable. I'm still in the overweight category, but in 21.3 pounds, I will leave the overweight category and be exactly on the "normal" category! It will be on the highest point, but it still counts for me. In 46.3 more pounds, I will be 130 pounds and at the end of my journey. To be honest, I thought by this point that my muffin top would be a lot better and not as noticeable. How much weight do I have to lose to make it go away? I still have so much fat and weight in my thighs, stomach, and muffin top that I'm worried 46.3 pounds won't be enough of a weight loss to get rid of everything and make them normal. I'm also really nervous about lose skin since it looks like it is happening in several areas on my body (Arms, stomach, breasts, and thighs mainly). They are a lot more giggly, stretchable, and they look like there starting to sag. Unfortunately my breasts are the worst. When I wear a bra, they look fine. But without one, they sag really low and look terrible. There so saggy, they look like there from someone that is 80 years old. I've been drinking 8 cups of water every day, do 12 minutes of strength training 3 times a week, use the elliptical 5 days a week for 60-70 minutes at a time, not losing too fast, and eat healthier. Unfortunately I think I was heavy for too long, so it is something that's going to happen. Especially since I needed to lose 110 pounds in total. It still is disheartening though since surgery was something I wanted to avoid.

Replies

• stephanieammon86
    stephanieammon86 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Think you are amazing! I know small tricks like vicks vapor rub with seran wrap around it. But it is hard for skin to regain elasticity. But you didn't get bariatric surgery you worked your butt off to get where you are so if surgery is route u take there is no shame!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    After you've lost weight, give it a year. If it doesn't stretch back in, then consider surgery.

I'm with you regarding the girls. Mine are sad without a bra. So I just buy really awesome bras!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Muffin tops usually come from wearing trousers that are too tight for you. Anyone can have a muffin top if their trousers are too small! Unless you have a muffin top when you're naked, it's the trousers.
  • jenniator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Think you are amazing! I know small tricks like vicks vapor rub with seran wrap around it. But it is hard for skin to regain elasticity. But you didn't get bariatric surgery you worked your butt off to get where you are so if surgery is route u take there is no shame!

Thank you :) I've always had problems with self confidence and putting myself down. So the loose skin has made me so self conscious. But I feel so much more confident with the weight loss. I just wish I could wear shirts that fit me because I would look a lot better than wearing shirts that are clearly to big for me. I would never get bariatric surgery! That just wasn't a option for me. It's crazy but when I was only 18 years old and I was around 230 pounds, my doctor recommended it for me and she was insistent on me getting it. She was telling me for a few years to lose weight and I never really put it into motion except for last year. But she said I NEEDED to get the surgery because since I didn't lose any weight by now, that I wouldn't lose any weight for the future and there was no other option for me! I couldn't believe a doctor would even consider recommending that surgery for a 18 year old! Sure I was really obese, but that surgery is a last resort option when you really have no other options and are higher than 450 pounds, but that's just what I think. Never went back to her after that comment, but it really made me think a lot about my weight. :) I really have worked my butt off for 1 year and 3 months to get to where I am! So many people including my family told me I would always be fat and never lose the weight. It feels amazing to show them they were wrong. Some people give me crazy looks when I eat chocolate, fast food, any junk food, pasta, rice, bread, ect because they don't think you can lose weight eating those things, but staying in your calorie goal. I do eat a lot healthier as well, but have those things in moderation. They keep saying that I'm going to gain weight eating those things, but hear I am still losing weight ha ha :smiley: But those type of people I've encountered believe the only way to lose weight is to starve yourself and resists yourself so much that you can have absolutely nothing
  • jenniator
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    After you've lost weight, give it a year. If it doesn't stretch back in, then consider surgery.

I'm with you regarding the girls. Mine are sad without a bra. So I just buy really awesome bras!

I've heard that you should give it a year before surgery, but I'm a bit skeptical if a year can actually make it stretch back that much. With as much loose skin as I have now, I'm terrified of how much I will have at my goal weight. Another factor is I don't want to stay that way with loose skin for over a year since it really is embarrassing, especially after I worked so hard. When I'm around 24-25 years old, I really want to start having children. But I heard if you want to have children within the next few years, you shouldn't the surgery until after your finished having children. That really made me depressed because if I have tons of loose skin and 80 year old saggy breasts, I don't want to live that way until I'm 30. I'm only 22 now, so it seems like forever.

The problem that I have is at home. Me and my husband currently live with his parents in law. I know a lot of people including me love to come home at the end of a long day and take the bra off and just relax. But I can't really do that unless I go to bed because it's super embarrassing to walk around with that. I really wouldn't want anyone to see me like that.
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting pants that fit your waist, might need to be tailored for hips/legs to look how you'd like if that's an option. Also maybe the control top skivvies.. if you can wear them. You didn't mention if you're doing much cardio (I would assume you are since you've done such a job on the weight) but maybe increase it by 10-15 min a day to help burn overall body fat (if only we could spot burn ;) ) As far as skin: water, lotion, vitamins and luck!
  • jenniator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Muffin tops usually come from wearing trousers that are too tight for you. Anyone can have a muffin top if their trousers are too small! Unless you have a muffin top when you're naked, it's the trousers.

I'm glad to know how they come, but how can you cure them? I do have a muffin top when I have no clothes on, it's always there! To me it's strange you say that muffin tops come from wearing clothes that are too tight because I've always been the type of person that always has worn loose clothes. It's one of the reason I gained a lot of weight, because I had stretchy loose pants and I never noticed if I added some pounds on. Only within the last year have I been wearing "normal" fitting pants mostly due to my new confidence boost. I love seeing how much better I look with normal fitting pants than loose baggy ones. But the muffin top happened since before I can remember.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I think you'll just have to prioritize what it is you want. Sure, we'd all like everything to be perfect. You'll just have to decide if saggy boobs are less or more important than having kids on a schedule you've planned.

Honestly, if you have a husband and family that loves you, whether or not you're comfortable walking around your own home with your bra on or off is a small small small insecurity to have. Embrace the people and love you have in your life and try to focus less on an ideal notion of perfection that no one actually achieves.
  • jenniator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    rats2010 wrote: »
    Make sure you're getting pants that fit your waist, might need to be tailored for hips/legs to look how you'd like if that's an option. Also maybe the control top skivvies.. if you can wear them. You didn't mention if you're doing much cardio (I would assume you are since you've done such a job on the weight) but maybe increase it by 10-15 min a day to help burn overall body fat (if only we could spot burn ;) ) As far as skin: water, lotion, vitamins and luck!

I do make sure my pants fit my waist :) I really have been doing a lot of cardio since the beginning! I actually forgot about mentioning exercising since it's been something I just do 5 days a week and it's become part of my routine! Something I never thought would happen! I started for 7 months just plainly walking and I lost so much weight just from that alone! Of course watching calories as well too. But the last 7ish months, I've been going to the gym and I feel in love with the elliptical. I use it 5 days a week for 60-70 minutes. I've always hated going to the gym because I hate biking, rowing, and the treadmill. But the elliptical really changed my life and I've been losing so much more in less work! It sure does burn a lot more than walking! But I do admit that last week, I've pumped using my elliptical for 93 minutes. Mainly because me and my husband are going on vacation at the end of October and I want to lose a bit more of extra weight to really impress my family. Also for myself of course :) But nothing too extreme, just 2 pounds a week. Before I was averaging 1 pound a week and sometimes nothing. I know I should bump up the strength training, but I really hate strength training and I recently just started it back up again. I figure some is better than none. :) But wow, I really do wish we could spot reduce!
    I have been taking some extra vitamins lately and I really will need to try some lotion!
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »

I'm glad to know how they come, but how can you cure them? I do have a muffin top when I have no clothes on, it's always there! To me it's strange you say that muffin tops come from wearing clothes that are too tight because I've always been the type of person that always has worn loose clothes. It's one of the reason I gained a lot of weight, because I had stretchy loose pants and I never noticed if I added some pounds on. Only within the last year have I been wearing "normal" fitting pants mostly due to my new confidence boost. I love seeing how much better I look with normal fitting pants than loose baggy ones. But the muffin top happened since before I can remember.

I was referencing this effect:

muffintop1.jpg

That girl isn't fat in the slightest, but she's got a muffin top because her trousers are too tight. If she took the trousers off, she wouldn't have the muffin top. Most people get muffin tops because their trousers are too tight and dig in, which causes the flesh and fat above the trousers to spill over like that.

If your body is shaped like that without wearing trousers, then this clearly isn't your problem (and I'd be curious to see what you look like, because I can't imagine a muffin top when someone isn't wearing clothes lol). It's just that it isn't uncommon for people to post here asking how to get rid of their muffin top and posting a picture like that, and the answer is simply 'buy clothes that fit you'.
  • jenniator
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I think you'll just have to prioritize what it is you want. Sure, we'd all like everything to be perfect. You'll just have to decide if saggy boobs are less or more important than having kids on a schedule you've planned.

Honestly, if you have a husband and family that loves you, whether or not you're comfortable walking around your own home with your bra on or off is a small small small insecurity to have. Embrace the people and love you have in your life and try to focus less on an ideal notion of perfection that no one actually achieves.

I really do need to prioritize what it is important, but it is a difficult pill to swallow. Especially since I've worked so hard to lose all this weight. It really hasn't been easy. I don't want to be perfect. I just want to be at a healthy weight and be "happy" with myself. Something I've never been until recently. It is sad to get so much faults since losing weight is suppose to make you a lot more attractive. But loose skin is just as ugly as being obese. Of course I've rather have loose skin than be obese though! I just wish it wouldn't be so extreme. I mean I would be fine with saggy breasts, but not when they look like a 80 year old! I'm not really on a schedule to have children, but they recommend you have surgery after having children. So no matter what age I have children, I would have to wait until after to have surgery. But it's not just about the saggy breasts only, it's just everything in general that is starting to look bad.

Of course my family and husband love me! But nobody wants to walk around with super saggy breasts! It might be a small insecurity to have, but it really is a big insecurity for me, especially since they look absolutely horrible. I am not a perfectionist with my body, but I just never wanted it to become this extreme. My whole life I've struggled with my weight and have a lot of insecurity about it because of my own family/bullies teasing me. But I'm so much more confident now that I've lost so much weight. If my muffin top was gone or almost gone, then I couldn't be more happier :)
  • jenniator
    Options

muffintop1.jpg

That girl isn't fat in the slightest, but she's got a muffin top because her trousers are too tight. If she took the trousers off, she wouldn't have the muffin top. Most people get muffin tops because their trousers are too tight and dig in, which causes the flesh and fat above the trousers to spill over like that.

If your body is shaped like that without wearing trousers, then this clearly isn't your problem (and I'd be curious to see what you look like, because I can't imagine a muffin top when someone isn't wearing clothes lol). It's just that it isn't uncommon for people to post here asking how to get rid of their muffin top and posting a picture like that, and the answer is simply 'buy clothes that fit you'.

I have seen muffin tops like that from wearing pants that are too tight, but I always wondered why it happened to someone if they weren't wearing clothes. I'm not sure if my body is shaped like that, but it is a horrible thought. It is strange since I've always wore loose baggy clothes, so I'm not sure how I got it. I can imagine that not a lot of people would ask this question or even post pictures. It really is a embarrassing topic. It's difficult since if I buy clothes that fit me, then people say I'm buying clothes that are too tight because they see my muffin top. So it makes me really self conscious. I was hoping to wait and buy good fitting clothes until it was almost gone, but it really doesn't look like it's going anywhere.
  • DemoraFairy
    Options

muffintop1.jpg

I have seen muffin tops like that from wearing pants that are too tight, but I always wondered why it happened to someone if they weren't wearing clothes. I'm not sure if my body is shaped like that, but it is a horrible thought. It is strange since I've always wore loose baggy clothes, so I'm not sure how I got it. I can imagine that not a lot of people would ask this question or even post pictures. It really is a embarrassing topic. It's difficult since if I buy clothes that fit me, then people say I'm buying clothes that are too tight because they see my muffin top. So it makes me really self conscious. I was hoping to wait and buy good fitting clothes until it was almost gone, but it really doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

Well, you're still overweight and 40lbs is quite a lot, it could make a lot of difference. Once you've lost the weight if you still have that shape without clothes then I think it'll be easier to cover up with clothes without needing to wear overly baggy clothes.
  • jenniator
    Options

muffintop1.jpg

Well, you're still overweight and 40lbs is quite a lot, it could make a lot of difference. Once you've lost the weight if you still have that shape without clothes then I think it'll be easier to cover up with clothes without needing to wear overly baggy clothes.

That is true that a little more than 40 pounds is a lot. Just when I look at all my body, I wonder if that will get rid of all the fat I have. The fat on my thighs, stomach, muffin top, ect, looks like it's more than 40 pounds. But I'm hoping it will be a lot better and I won't have to wear baggy things. :)
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Wait til you're closer to goal and see which things you're still unsatisfied with. Some of what looks like fat is probably also extra skin, for better or worse, and with a large weight loss some extra skin is inevitable. I would recommend (as would most surgeons) waiting til you're close to/at goal and maintain for at least a year before getting surgery- not because it might snap back/unstretch or whatever you want to call it but to make sure you're at a weight you can maintain fairly comfortably.

I was 10-15 pounds from goal for a couple years and still not happy with a couple of areas on my body and finally realized that some/most of that was extra skin. Losing more would help it a bit but not entirely. I had a tummy tuck and arm lift earlier this year to remove the extra skin and I could not be happier with the decision. That's not to say surgery is a necessity and I was happy with my body and weight loss beforehand. I don't think making the decision out of self-loathing is a good idea either, but it will help tighten certain areas that probably can't be fixed with just diet and exercise.

Good luck to you. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Loose skin doesn't mean you did anything wrong while you lost weight. It just means that your skin isn't snapping back. It happens.

I'm right there with you, down 90 pounds and grossing out at my gross, excess skin. It would've been nice to have a great body when I was done, but it's not in the cards for me. I will settle for better because I have no other choice, but not loving it.

Kinda sucks.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've never heard your definition of 'muffin top' before. I've always thought of it as having too tight bottoms and the fat spilling over the top.

That being said, you can't control where you gain/lose weight. You have done quite well and are a smaller version of what you were before; however, if you look like you have two stomachs, you just need to keep losing weight. You say in 21 pounds you will be out of the overweight category. 21 pounds is a LOT of weight. Once you are closer to your goal, you should lose that 'muffin top' look.
  • jenniator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and kind words everyone! I think your right ald783, that some of it could actually be lose skin. But hopefully it goes down the closer I get. I really am thinking about surgery in the future since it looks like some of it won't go back. But I will wait of course to see. I'm mostly worried with surgery about scarring. I'm worried the scars won't go away and they will always be there.

Thank you Kalikel! It's great to know other people are having similar problems with lose skin. I'm trying not to be grossed out by it even though it's difficult. I'm trying to look at it as my achievement so far. It might sound funny, but I actually never imagined having problems with lose skin. I thought people that were 400 + had that problem, but not for a 110 pound loss. So it kinda hit me as a shock.

I know that you can't control where you lose weight, but it really sucks Wakkow. My upper body is looking great! Minus my breasts and a bit of lose skin under my arms. But my lower body is horrendous! Fat thighs/stomach/muffin top?. I just wish my body would lose weight all over evenly ha ha. 21 pounds really is a lot, so hopefully I will get it gone by then. It might sound funny, but I didn't actually realize that 21 pounds is such a large amount. I've already lost 64 pounds which is a huge number for me!
  • jenniator
    Options
    Hey everyone. A lot of people don't know what I mean by "muffin top" and they haven't heard it used in the way I'm explaining. I'm super curious what my problem is and I really want to know. So I'm going to post a ton of pictures to give you guys a idea of what I'm talking about. I'm really embarrassed and disgusted about my muffin top (second stomach). I really don't feel comfortable showing it, but I really want to know if it is something I can fix or if only fixed by losing weight. It does bother me a lot, especially since I haven't seen other obese or over weight people with this problem. Always they just have 1 big stomach, not what I have, this 2 stomach looking thing.
    8ldexonjup7r.jpg
    wk166090aqal.jpg
    lmomo96hfvao.jpg
    zdp0zxw1ychk.jpg
    vh1xpm4qjhhm.jpg
    y653z8s16l6y.jpg
    tad1imh5h41e.jpg
    rtljt5tu65wz.jpg
    i8egud0o8zq0.jpg
    girnjhihff60.jpg
    tn200bs08fu7.jpg

I know the shorts in the first few pictures aren't the nicest, but that's because there my gym/relaxing shirts, so pay no attention to that :) My real stomach is also embarrassing since it still looks so....fat and ugly. It's been saggy and hanging down more lately, so I think a lot of it might become lose skin. But my second stomach (muffin top thing)? Looks absolutely disgusting and not natural, especially without any shirt covering it. I must admit, the sides and back look fine, it's just the front that has the problem really. I also posted some pictures with some shirts that fit me well and make me look really skinny, but I'm too ashamed to wear them because of my second stomach looks terrible in them. So I always buy baggier shirts since it covers the second stomach, but it makes me look a lot heavier than I am :( There's been so many shirts like the blue and pink shirt in the picture that I love and flatter my body, but I just can't bring myself to buy or even wear them because of the second stomach. Whenever I asked my family for advice, they say it looks too small and I need a bigger size. But the problem is the shirts fit me 100% perfectly, but they just look awful from the second stomach. I feel like I only look nice if I'm wearing baggy clothes. So please give me you're opinion on what you think this is.

• jenniator
    Options
    Hey everyone. A lot of people don't know what I mean by "muffin top" and they haven't heard it used in the way I'm explaining. I'm super curious what my problem is and I really want to know. So I'm going to post a ton of pictures to give you guys a idea of what I'm talking about. I'm really embarrassed and disgusted about my muffin top (second stomach). I really don't feel comfortable showing it, but I really want to know if it is something I can fix or if only fixed by losing weight. It does bother me a lot, especially since I haven't seen other obese or over weight people with this problem. Always they just have 1 big stomach, not what I have, this 2 stomach looking thing.
    8ldexonjup7r.jpg
    wk166090aqal.jpg
    lmomo96hfvao.jpg
    zdp0zxw1ychk.jpg
    vh1xpm4qjhhm.jpg
    y653z8s16l6y.jpg
    tad1imh5h41e.jpg
    rtljt5tu65wz.jpg
    i8egud0o8zq0.jpg
    girnjhihff60.jpg
    tn200bs08fu7.jpg

I know the shorts in the first few pictures aren't the nicest, but that's because there my gym/relaxing shirts, so pay no attention to that :) My real stomach is also embarrassing since it still looks so....fat and ugly. It's been saggy and hanging down more lately, so I think a lot of it might become lose skin. But my second stomach (muffin top thing)? Looks absolutely disgusting and not natural, especially without any shirt covering it. I must admit, the sides and back look fine, it's just the front that has the problem really. I also posted some pictures with some shirts that fit me well and make me look really skinny, but I'm too ashamed to wear them because of my second stomach looks terrible in them. So I always buy baggier shirts since it covers the second stomach, but it makes me look a lot heavier than I am :( There's been so many shirts like the blue and pink shirt in the picture that I love and flatter my body, but I just can't bring myself to buy or even wear them because of the second stomach. Whenever I asked my family for advice, they say it looks too small and I need a bigger size. But the problem is the shirts fit me 100% perfectly, but they just look awful from the second stomach. I feel like I only look nice if I'm wearing baggy clothes. So please give me you're opinion on what you think this is. The parts of my body that I really hate, are disgusted by, and can't stand are my two stomachs and breasts. :(