Weight not moving much even though I'm 298lbs

Options
I've lost nearly 50 lbs already but am still packing a load of excess fat on me and have have a long way to go. I'm. Doing stronglifts 5x5 at the minute 3 times a week. Recently I've found my weight is plateauing a bit. Surely I've still got that much excess fat and weight to lose still that I shouldn't be slowing down even if I'm gaining muscle? Getting annoyed by it....

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How long have you been stuck for? Can you open your diary? Do you weigh everything you eat? Do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    are you counting calories?
  • benjaminkjames
    benjaminkjames Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm on 1500 to 1700 a day the larger amount on lifting days
  • benjaminkjames
    Options
    Which is under what I should be doing but I'm comfortable at this range. I weigh my food yes. But I don't count salad or veg. Not sure on how to open my diary??
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    Which is under what I should be doing but I'm comfortable at this range. I weigh my food yes. But I don't count salad or veg. Not sure on how to open my diary??

Set it to public here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

How long have you been stuck for?
  • benjaminkjames
    Options
    A couple of weeks
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Salads and veggies still have calories. Not enough maybe to make a difference now, but eventually. I wonder if you're eating a little more than you think. When you're obese, you can be lax in your logging, but as you lose you gotta get tighter with that accuracy and consistency.

But also, how much have you lost in the last two months? Maybe your expectations are too high. 1-2 lbs per week is perfectly wonderful progress.
  • benjaminkjames
    Options
    Ok done
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Why don't you count salad or veg? Are you using dressing on your salads? What's in the salads?

Those all have calories and you should be counting. Also you say you are weighing your food but you have entries in your diary like 2 cooked chicken breast with no weight? 1 potato - how big were these?

Make sure you are selecting the right entries in the database for what you are eating, use a food scale, log everything.

How long have you been stuck?

I would suggest cleaning up your logging, having patience, and go from there.
  • benjaminkjames
    Options
    Hmm in the last 2 months probably around 15 lbs
  • DemoraFairy
    edited August 2015
    Options

Why don't you count salad or veg? Are you using dressing on your salads? What's in the salads?

Those all have calories and you should be counting. Also you say you are weighing your food but you have entries in your diary like 2 cooked chicken breast with no weight? 1 potato - how big were these?

Make sure you are selecting the right entries in the database for what you are eating, use a food scale, log everything.

How long have you been stuck?

I would suggest cleaning up your logging, having patience, and go from there.

I would agree with weighing everything, and I'd also add eggs as an example from your diary. Eggs can be quite different even if they don't look it.

Right now I'd say tighten up your logging and give it a bit more time. Even though at your weight you should be able to lose weight fairly consistently, 2 weeks is still quite a short amount of time. Give it a few more weeks and see how you do.
  • benjaminkjames
    Options
    Yes I realise they still have calories but being around 500 calories under what this app recommends I thought it was ok. Maybe I mentally didn't want to up my "limit" for fear of backwards progress... perhaps just being a bit more stringent with my counting would be best
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Yes I realise they still have calories but being around 500 calories under what this app recommends I thought it was ok. Maybe I mentally didn't want to up my "limit" for fear of backwards progress... perhaps just being a bit more stringent with my counting would be best

When did you start lifting? Was that a recent change?

I would stick with what MFP is recommending but log everything and just work on cleaning it up. When I started losing I had a lot to lose and I didn't have to be as accurate but as I lost that margin of error decreased and I had to really clean up my logging. Also had to work on my patience you won't lose every week, but definitely watch for overall trends to make sure you are in a downward trend.

• benjaminkjames
    Options
    Been lifting for around 4 months. Only recently started 5x5 though and the gains are more.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you're losing nearly 2lbs per week on average you're doing everything right.

Congratulations, as you lose more it'll keep slowing down. That's normal and what you want to happen so you'll lose less muscle. You WILL lose some muscle. That's ok. Keep doing the weights and you won't lose much muscle.

Good job!
  • benjaminkjames
    Options
    I guess I need some more patience as well as more accurate counting