Shin splints

Options
many years, and many pounds ago I used to be a competitive middle distance runner and even then I battled shin splints. Now, at 47 and 50 pounds heavier, every time I begin a run I get shooting pain in my shins. I've tried more stretching (calves in particular) but so far nothing has really helped. I'm easing into running again, so maybe it's just a matter of taking it slow but I would love any advice on how this condition might be resolved.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You cannot take it slow with shin splints... you should be resting until they are completely gone.

Follow the PRICE method; Protect, Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate.

OP, did you have your gait analyzed at a running store and then have a pair of shoes picked out for you? Also, what is your foot strike?

Definitely REST. You don't want to prolong recovery or make them worse.

• RobBartenstein
    RobBartenstein Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been out of the game so long I just learned about how ubiquitous gait analysis has become. I'll look into it. Your points are all good ones. One of my main concerns is that I've really only run a very little bit and the pain on initial strides is really bad- like I've been seriously overtraining- nothing could be further from the truth! Have always been a forefoot striker, still am, but probably need to back off and ease more slowly into this. THANKS!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Be sure to warm up first with at least 1/4 mi walking. There are a couple of stretches that have helped with my shin splints- I used to get when walking- hard to explain on my phone app but I'll see if I can gin example or post when I'm at regular keyboard. They are painful!!
  • lorrpb
    Options
    #1. Do a google search for: anterior tibialis stretch. Look at "images" tab or some of the articles that come up. I do one of the versions shown standing.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    #2. I will describe this as best I can. It was given to me by a licensed massage therapist, but you prob won’t find it in any official list of stretches. Place your left foot on a chair, bench, or step so your foot is parallel to the back of chair or long side of the step. Keep your left toes & knee pointing forward and aligned. Keep your right foot on the ground or about 2 steps lower if using a step. Obviously, you will bend at the ankle, knee, & hip. Foot should be more or less under the hip. Your thigh, lower leg, and foot will resemble a Z configuration. OK for knee to extend beyond toes. Hold this position and/or lower yourself as far onto the left foot as far as you can without pain, with a goal of the greatest possible angle at ankle and knee. Put as much weight as tolerable onto left foot and hold for 30 sec or as long as tolerable. Then switch legs.
    This was really hard for me at first, but now I can go all the way down. This stretch and the anterior tibialis stretch mentioned above have eliminated my shin splints.
  • RobBartenstein
    RobBartenstein Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lorrpb thank you so much for taking the time to put all of that down. I can't wait to try it!
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Feel your pain OP. Suffered with this for a long time - still flares up now and again but I now know why and how to manage it. Mine was a combination of very tight calves but also hamstrings and gait. You say you stretch your calves, stretch your hamstrings as well. A good stretch that's worked for me is from a standing position, cross one leg over the other as you would sitting down and then sit down into the stretch, holding something for balance. Deeper you go the more of a stretch you'll feel. Can be a little uncomfortable at first but stick with it. This alongside calf stretching really helped me.

Now in terms of my gait, I saw a podiatrist as my balance was completely out. They put me on a treadmill and filmed it, slowed it down and showed me exactly what was contributing towards my aches and pains. Turned out I was quite out of sync so amongst other solutions I was given a pair of insoles moulded to my foot shape and they have also worked wonders for me.

Hope these suggestions help. But do rest and don't overdo - I tried that and it made it worse. It can be very frustrating I know, try being 27 and not being able to run 20m without pain. But it does get better! :)